Focal Bathys - Wireless ANC Over-Ear Headphone
Oct 3, 2022 at 5:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1,718

SlydZ

100+ Head-Fier
Tomorrow the Focal Bathys a wireless ANC and over-ear headphone will be annouced. Here are the first impressions in korean of the headphones:

The Annoucement:
https://twitter.com/FocalOfficial/status/1575832849013305345

Audioholics Review:
https://www.audioholics.com/headpho...iew-focal2019s-first-wireless-headphone-w-anc

A greek article with pictures:
https://hxosplus.gr/gadgetech/focal-bathys/

Specs
- Price is 800 Euro
- Bluetooh 5.1 with aptX-, aptX HD, SBC, AAC support
- DAC mode with USB-C
- Analog mode with 3.5mm
- 350 gr
- App supports 5 band eq
- 30 hours battery life
- ANC mode: Silent (for noisy environments) and Soft (for quieter environments). Transparency mode and ANC off.
- 40mm magnesium-aluminium driver

I think the design is really nice and is really similar to the Focal Stellia with different colours. The Bathys looks really promising with this relatively small formfactor. Could be the perfect balance of portability and audiophile music enjoyment. Exactly what I‘m looking for in a long time.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2022 at 9:31 AM Post #3 of 1,718
These look like they might have big and deep ear cups. I wonder how comfortable they'll be and how good the ANC performance will be.

Oct 3, 2022 at 11:24 AM Post #6 of 1,718
It seems to be a new competitor of the freshly announced Bowers&Wilkins PX8. I retrieved a french article about it: https://webcache.googleusercontent....active&cd=1&hl=fr&ct=clnk&gl=fr&client=safari

The PX8 was supposed to come out at $549-$599, and then last minute they raised prices to $699. I have a suspicion they did that because they knew the Bathys would come out. With many competitors coming in at a higher price bracket, they figured they could raise their prices and have a larger profit margin, while still undercutting competitors.

Oct 3, 2022 at 11:25 AM Post #7 of 1,718
I think these will be the best bluetooth ANC headphones on the market, and Focal knows it with that price
I will definitely buy these Focals. I'm really happy with my Stellias and Clear OG, but I was always looking for a more portable headphone and have thought about to buy a Meze Liric for portable use, but the new Focals fit much better. Smaller and wireless. I think they look really amazing.

The Focal Bathys are already available in France. Can be ordered to Germany and I think to other Countrys in Europe:
https://www.fnac.com/Casque-audio-s...uit-Bluetooth-Focal-Bathys-Noir/a17388417/w-4

Korean Live Stream:

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2022 at 11:29 AM Post #8 of 1,718
The PX8 was supposed to come out at $549-$599, and then last minute they raised prices to $699. I have a suspicion they did that because they knew the Bathys would come out. With many competitors coming in at a higher price bracket, they figured they could raise their prices and have a larger profit margin, while still undercutting competitors.
Much more likely it's due to increased costs, the headphones were delayed due to meagre supply of chips I believe?
I can't see them wanting to pivot too far from the Airpods Max if they could help it, as that really is the target for these.
I will definitely buy these Focals. I'm really happy with my Stellias and Clear OG, but I was always looking for a more portable headphone and have thought about to buy a Meze Liric for portable use, but the new Focals fit much better. Smaller and wireless. I think they look really amazing.

The Focal Bathys are already available in France. Can be ordered to Germany and I think to other Countrys in Europe:
https://www.fnac.com/Casque-audio-s...uit-Bluetooth-Focal-Bathys-Noir/a17388417/w-4

Korean Live Stream:

Thanks for the link, these look beautifully done. Also an owner of the Stellias, and would love something on the go that can replicate their sound even a little. I'm intrigued to see if Bathys competes with Celestee

Oct 3, 2022 at 11:34 AM Post #9 of 1,718
Much more likely it's due to increased costs, the headphones were delayed due to meagre supply of chips I believe?
I can't see them wanting to pivot too far from the Airpods Max if they could help it, as that really is the target for these.

Thanks for the link, these look beautifully done. Also an owner of the Stellias, and would love something on the go that can replicate their sound even a little. I'm intrigued to see if Bathys competes with Celestee
In the audioholics review they described the Bathys similar to the Focal Radiance. I think that would be very nice as complement for the Stellias. I listenend to the Radiance and liked them a lot. Especially the Mid-Bass boost in comparision to the Stellia is nice for on the go and not too critical listening.

Audioholics:
I hate to admit it, Bathys in USB DAC mode gives my travel headphone setup in Radiance & Gryphon DAC/Amp combo a serious run for its money. It’s an apt comparison because I believe Bathys brings similar sonic properties as Focal’s Radiance. Both present terrifc detail with little extra emphasis down low. And like all of Focal’s high-end line, they pack the punch and slam.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2022 at 11:37 AM Post #10 of 1,718
Hmm looks interesting!

But not sure I'll get them since they lack the latest Bluetooth features...Just wish these had the latest Qualcomm SoC!

Earcups looks huge tho! That's my main problem with most ANC-cans, almost every can have these small cups.

I'm also not a fan how the difficult it seems to repair these Focal cans compared to lets say Meze...:/

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2022 at 11:41 AM Post #11 of 1,718
In the audioholics review they described the Bathys similar to the Focal Radiance. I think that would be very nice as complement for the Stellias. I listenend to the Radiance and liked them a lot. Especially the Mid-Bass boost in comparision to the Stellia is nice for on the go and not too critical listening.

Audioholics:
That's fantastic news! I've always wanted to try the Radiance. This is sounding very good indeed, I really feel for the PX8 if Bathys indeed bring that performance to the table as I doubt the B&Ws can match that.

Oct 3, 2022 at 11:43 AM Post #12 of 1,718
Hmm looks interesting!

But not sure I'll get them since they lack the latest Bluetooth features...Just wish these had the latest Qualcomm SoC!

Earcups looks huge tho! That's my main problem with most ANC-cans, almost every can have these small cups.
Yeah man, these having huge earcups is the main reason I'm interested. Curious to read about ANC impressions as well. I'm otherwise not too discerning with SQ for portable headphones, I never listen critically when on the go. But comfort and good ANC are very important.

Oct 3, 2022 at 11:46 AM Post #13 of 1,718
That's fantastic news! I've always wanted to try the Radiance. This is sounding very good indeed, I really feel for the PX8 if Bathys indeed bring that performance to the table as I doubt the B&Ws can match that.
I think the same and thought about to buy the Radiance as travel, outside, portable headphones, but found it too bulky with the case and that the cups don't swivel, which is important for me to hang them on my neck if I take them off for a while and with that much smaller case (form factor).

The PX8 were a candidate for me, too, but I would guess that they can't compete. Especially with the ear cups and also with the sound quality. ANC isn't that much important for me in general.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2022 at 1:17 PM Post #14 of 1,718
I think these will be the best bluetooth ANC headphones on the market, and Focal knows it with that price

Let's be surprised

NOMAX

PS.I will write something about it in few hours 👍
(it is 😉)

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2022 at 4:12 PM Post #15 of 1,718
My body is (cautiously) ready.

I sold my B&O H95s because they were not much better than my APMs at the cost of convenience and I have a feeling that these will be no different.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back