Focal Bathys Hi-Fi Bluetooth & ANC Headphones: Early Impressions
Nov 4, 2023 at 2:10 PM Post #1,426 of 1,721
Nov 4, 2023 at 3:50 PM Post #1,428 of 1,721
Cheers. Will give these a go. Think I'm going to try listening without the Mimi thing to see how I fare with it
Yeah, I would encourage all to find your personal EQ settings first. And then maybe activate Mimi afterwards.
I have the feeling Mimi is doing something that brings out the clarity but changes something in the tuning that makes (e.g. acoustic) instruments a bit unnatural. I have subsequently altered my Mimi percentage from 50% down to 15%, which gives a tiny bit of clarity but nothing more

Nov 5, 2023 at 3:12 AM Post #1,429 of 1,721
Hi all,

Recently bought the Bathys (went into my local hifi store to get some RCA cables; left with the most expensive wireless headphones in the shop...I'm an idiot)

I'm really liking the sound. A a definite upgrade from my B&W PX, Dali IO6, and the likes of Sony and Bose.

A few questions that I'm sure one of you guys will know the answer to:

- When I'm not in DAC mode, my phone (Samsung) is restricted to APTX codec. I'm due an upgrade on my phone soon, so wondering whether I should go for either a) something that can handle APTX adaptive or b) an iPhone. I have a mac for work and recording music, but have yet to buy into phone. Now that the new iPhone have usb c, it's a lot more appealing. I have read some reviews of the Bathys saying if youre an iPhone user they may not be the best - any reason behind this? Is it because the DAC mode was basically rendered pointless on iPhone?

- EQ settings - does using the Mimi function negate the EQ? It already opens up the sound massively, so wondering if the EQ still works with this in place.

- While talking EQ - what settings do you think give the best sound out of these cans. Want to experiment over the weekend and find what works, but any Head-Fiers opinions would be helpful.

Thanks
Creative bt-w5 USB c Dongle transmitter will give you APTX Adaptive to your Samsung phone. APTx adaptive definitelyakes a difference over iOS AAC.

Nov 6, 2023 at 2:15 PM Post #1,430 of 1,721
Hi maybe future fellow owners,

I am very tempted to buy these, but I found no answer to a usability question I have until now:

I do a lot of Teams meetings with colleagues in those meetings sitting next to me. Not all of them of course, we could simply talk to each other directly of course :wink:

Is the ANC good enough and/or microphone differentiating enough to be able to take these meetings with the Bathys?

Tia
Steef

Nov 6, 2023 at 2:26 PM Post #1,431 of 1,721
Hi maybe future fellow owners,

I am very tempted to buy these, but I found no answer to a usability question I have until now:

I do a lot of Teams meetings with colleagues in those meetings sitting next to me. Not all of them of course, we could simply talk to each other directly of course :wink:

Is the ANC good enough and/or microphone differentiating enough to be able to take these meetings with the Bathys?

Tia
Steef
I've been in many teems meetings with them with many other people around moving and talking. If you put the ANC in quite mode you will be able to to hear other people on the other end very well. You will hear them very clearly. Some outside noise will come through though. I have never experienced that someone didn't understand or wasn't able to hear what I was saying. So I am very satisfied with them in meetings

Nov 6, 2023 at 10:00 PM Post #1,433 of 1,721
Does Focal Bathys accept balanced cable? I still have not received a response. 3.5mm (4 poles) to 4.4mm?
I still have some Sony MDR-1A 3.5mm to 4.4mm cables lying around.

Nov 7, 2023 at 4:58 AM Post #1,435 of 1,721
Does Focal Bathys accept balanced cable? I still have not received a response. 3.5mm (4 poles) to 4.4mm?
I still have some Sony MDR-1A 3.5mm to 4.4mm cables lying around.
You should ask focal before trying it as there is a good chance the internal connection is not balanced. Connecting balanced amps to unbalanced headphones can spell disaster. Use USB instead as the internal DAC is always active so any "improvements" from running an analog connection is just coloration from the first DAC and ADC prior to reaching the internal DAC.

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2023 at 2:53 PM Post #1,436 of 1,721
Hi all,
Just wanted to let you know that Firmware 1.5.6. came out today. It noticeably reduces the hiss in transparency mode. And even more importantly, music sounds much, much better in Soft (DAC) mode. The details, the instrument separation, the quality of bass, all expanded tangibly. Please let me know if my impressions are justified or just a placebo effect.

Firmware notice on an iPhone app briefly mentioned that changes are made to transparent and soft modes, but nothing else. Previous updates did not do anything for me and definitely did not notice anything comparable in terms of sound quality improvements.

Listening on IFI Zen Stream (usb flash drive attached with FLACs) > usb cable > Bathys. Usually, I find this method superior to any other combination (Audirvana, Mac, LG V60, etc.). But now, it's just another level.

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2023 at 4:44 AM Post #1,440 of 1,721
I have never had a problem with this on my Android phone/ app. Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you want to do?
Likewise, I've got a Galaxy S23 Ultra and I've just tested it: my custom presets delete fine.

After creating the first EQ Custom Preset I created one more but the first one seems to be impossible to delete.
Android App on iBasso DX320.
One other user on this thread reported exactly the same issue - @roines1987 - Post #1427

Users who are viewing this thread

Back