Focal Bathys Hi-Fi Bluetooth & ANC Headphones: Early Impressions
Nov 12, 2023 at 1:45 PM Post #1,456 of 1,739
While Bluetooth might be the same no matter how expensive the device is. The surrounding circuitry will effect the Bluetooth sound. In mobile phones the goal is to make it as cheap as possible. So yes 1zm2 will sound better because of how the circuitry is set up

Nov 12, 2023 at 6:37 PM Post #1,458 of 1,739
Screenshot 2023-11-12 at 6.37.11 PM.png

Nov 12, 2023 at 8:09 PM Post #1,460 of 1,739
This is just shameless marketing
Well, of course it is marketing, but it can also be true, depending on use case and user. Clearly you might never make this decision, but others might if in the moment they prioritize the convenience of BT, or who are listen to music while engaged in other activity and BT is the only viable option, or who in general may not be looking for the absolute purity of wired (or who may not be trained or care enough to notice the difference)…

Anyway, the beautiful thing is that there is something out there for almost everybody. I hope that you find what you are looking for.

P.S. my guess is the quote comes from DMS. Refer to this video:

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2023 at 11:08 PM Post #1,461 of 1,739
People hear differences in cables in this hobby, why should BT be an exception? :)
In this hobby, small sound differences are huge. It is true there can be differences in sound between cables, but it's usually subtle. Sound differences is usually more about resistance. There is something to be said for build quality because that can have an effect on duarable the cable may be and it's microphonics.

That said, I also think it's "silly" to spend thousands of dollars on a cable for the "sound difference". At a certain point, it's placebo. Then again, I have spent a few hundred dollars on cables; I was looking for something more durable and significantly less microphronic.

Nov 13, 2023 at 1:56 AM Post #1,462 of 1,739
This is not a fact, it's just like your opinion man :wink:

Bathys made me sell almost all my other cans/amps and are now my daily driver. It's just that good and the added convenience of wireless cannot be overstated. They cannot compete with Utopias maybe, but they can with must of mid-tier. At least for me off course.

Nov 13, 2023 at 6:05 AM Post #1,463 of 1,739
Well, of course it is marketing, but it can also be true, depending on use case and user. Clearly you might never make this decision, but others might if in the moment they prioritize the convenience of BT, or who are listen to music while engaged in other activity and BT is the only viable option, or who in general may not be looking for the absolute purity of wired (or who may not be trained or care enough to notice the difference)…

Anyway, the beautiful thing is that there is something out there for almost everybody. I hope that you find what you are looking for.

P.S. my guess is the quote comes from DMS. Refer to this video:

Fyi I also was very bemused by this, I own Radiance & Bathys and percieve a pretty dramatic gap in sound quality (in Radiance's favour). I spoke to another chap on Reddit who has both too and he said the same and was glad it wasn't just him. I was lucky to get the Radiance for £320, I can see why maybe someone comparing a £1200 Radiance to a £700 Bathys might lean more toward Bathys, but I do think the sound quality difference at least reflects the price difference at full RRP. In pretty much every way you can imagine, Radiance is better.

Bathys is still one of the best wireless headphones i've heard. But as far as I can tell that is a completely different category of headphone in performance vs wired, passive headphones that are full size. Maybe I misinterpreted DMS here and he was commenting on the overall package, as in an Airpods Pro 2 over wired iem kind of deal, given ease of use. But I find it hard to believe anyone as serious as he is about audio would think the Bathys sound better than Radiance.

Nov 13, 2023 at 7:12 AM Post #1,464 of 1,739
Bathys is still one of the best wireless headphones i've heard. But as far as I can tell that is a completely different category of headphone in performance vs wired, passive headphones that are full size. Maybe I misinterpreted DMS here and he was commenting on the overall package, as in an Airpods Pro 2 over wired iem kind of deal, given ease of use. But I find it hard to believe anyone as serious as he is about audio would think the Bathys sound better than Radiance.

Totally agreed.

Just typing live impressions as I listen to them. Congested. Clarity could improve. Warm side of neutral. Pleasant tonality. Bass could be tighter. Not enough speed or dynamics. Separation of instruments challenging. As are picking up finer details i.e. triangles on a Hans Zimmer soundtrack. Closed soundstage commensurate with a closed back headphone.

Harsh?

Tonight I'm listening to the Bathys as I was on a Zoom call. USB DAC Mode.

Yesterday I was listening to Utopia 2022 cabled with Norse Vykari and a Hugo2.

For what they are, they're reasonably good. But comparing them to Radiance / Clear / Utopia they are noticeably inferior.

It's all relative.

Nov 13, 2023 at 8:36 AM Post #1,465 of 1,739
Fyi I also was very bemused by this, I own Radiance & Bathys and percieve a pretty dramatic gap in sound quality (in Radiance's favour). I spoke to another chap on Reddit who has both too and he said the same and was glad it wasn't just him. I was lucky to get the Radiance for £320, I can see why maybe someone comparing a £1200 Radiance to a £700 Bathys might lean more toward Bathys, but I do think the sound quality difference at least reflects the price difference at full RRP. In pretty much every way you can imagine, Radiance is better.

I don’t own the Radiance so I cannot compare them to the Bathys. My comment was exclusively why someone might choose BT over wired.

Nov 13, 2023 at 8:50 AM Post #1,466 of 1,739
Everyone has their level of what's acceptable but in general terms Bluetooth can never compare to wired technically and sonically. Beyond that it's all what someone's preference is. I think it takes years and listening to everything that's out there to critically make informed decisions. And even then it's a matter of preference and even one's physical ability to hear certain sounds and frequencies. I personally do not like the Focal house sound but one of the owners of headphones.com prefers listening to the Focal OG when he could choose almost anything in any price range.

Nov 13, 2023 at 8:52 AM Post #1,467 of 1,739
Everyone has their level of what's acceptable but in general terms Bluetooth can never compare to wired technically and sonically. Beyond that it's all what someone's preference is. I think it takes years and listening to everything that's out there to critically make informed decisions. And even then it's a matter of preference and even one's physical ability to hear certain sounds and frequencies. I personally do not like the Focal house sound but one of the owners of headphones.com prefers listening to the Focal OG when he could choose almost anything in any price range.
No disagreement. As I said, and it sounds like you agree, the considerations that go into the choices people make are complex.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back