flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Apr 4, 2022 at 5:04 AM Post #38,836 of 39,414
Sorry to say you are losing out bro. I am up 200X for my Luna coin now. To each his own! Anyway for audio, I can't think of anything better than the Oriolus Traillii and Aroma Jewel. If I were to consider my next IEM, prolly Fitear DC TI.
I make money the old fashion way. I earn it.

Apr 4, 2022 at 5:17 AM Post #38,837 of 39,414
I've stayed away from Crypto for this simple reason. The quality of a currency is based on how stable it is over time. In that regard, all of the cryptocurrencies fail the basic test. Then, if it's not a currency then it is a speculative play that produces nothing. A buyer completely buys it believing someone else will believe it will have more value later. In essence it relies on the theory of the greater fool. Eventually, it all comes crashing down and the greatest fools are left holding the worthless bit coins. Besides, the amount of energy required to mine for bit coins is greater than all of the tech companies and many nations combined. It's tremendously bad for the environment. All this so people can launder money and operate black markets outside the reach of the law. It's an extremely bad idea.
I am in the middle for this. Without getting too lengthy, fiat currency isn't backed by the gold standard anymore and is controlled by the central banks and government policy. That's not necessarily a good thing. Countries like Iran, Venezuela, Sri Lankas currency went through hyperinflation recently and the Canadian economy has also seen a hidden inflation for the past few years. 20% of the total circulated dollar was printed in the last few years. This ballooned the price of assets while decreasing the buying power of the dollar.

From an ethical standpoint, you can make the case that Bitcoin is transparency. People launder money though fiat currency as well (wont get into how, use your imagination). Also, apps like Coinbase sends tax slips and the banks monitor BTC transactions. Look at the Freedom movement BTC freezes for example.

The concept of Bitcoin is a decentralized peer to peer currency that records public ledgers of each transaction. The benefit of that is that it's deflationary. No Bitcoin is being printed like fiat currency.

Why do we have currency? To hold value in something we can trade to buy and sell. If there are enough people that believe in the concept it will be used as one. BTC for me has outperformed some blue chip stocks. Yes it goes through much more aggressive waves than the S&P500. It's just a higher risk higher reward investment.

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2022 at 6:00 AM Post #38,838 of 39,414
I am in the middle for this. Without getting too lengthy, fiat currency isn't backed by the gold standard anymore and is controlled by the central banks and government policy. That's not necessarily a good thing. Countries like Iran, Venezuela, Sri Lankas currency went through hyperinflation recently and the Canadian economy has also seen a hidden inflation for the past few years. 20% of the total circulated dollar was printed in the last few years. This ballooned the price of assets while decreasing the buying power of the dollar.

From an ethical standpoint, you can make the case that Bitcoin is transparency. People launder money though fiat currency as well (wont get into how, use your imagination). Also, apps like Coinbase sends tax slips and the banks monitor BTC transactions. Look at the Freedom movement BTC freezes for example.

The concept of Bitcoin is a decentralized peer to peer currency that records public ledgers of each transaction. The benefit of that is that it's deflationary. No Bitcoin is being printed like fiat currency.

Why do we have currency? To hold value in something we can trade to buy and sell. If there are enough people that believe in the concept it will be used as one. BTC for me has outperformed some blue chip stocks. Yes it goes through much more aggressive waves than the S&P500. It's just a higher risk higher reward investment.
I completely understand the pros and cons of central banks and I know how they print money because actually governing is too hard for some people. There is no good answer. Cryptocurrencies are bad for the environment. That alone makes it a bad idea. The thing that makes it scarce is what causes it to use so much energy.

Apr 4, 2022 at 6:13 AM Post #38,839 of 39,414
Generate your income from NFT/Crypto is better. 😉

Web 3.0 is the future. I won't be surprised if an audio brand attempts a NFT subscription model.
If I cared about money, I wouldn't have become an academic. I prefer to spend my life in pursuit of those things that make a contribution, however small, to the world we live in. My biggest dream right now is for my wife to be awarded a €150k research grant to secure her tenure and ensure her ground-breaking research into cancer can continue. I am happy to sacrifice my own career for that (and to a degree have done). But that's just me. Happy to never be rich or famous... or handsom. 🤪

Apr 4, 2022 at 6:32 AM Post #38,840 of 39,414
I completely understand the pros and cons of central banks and I know how they print money because actually governing is too hard for some people. There is no good answer.

Real estate at least in Canada. Short term with the rates going up, I predict it will level down slightly. Sold a unit recently because of that. I am still bullish long term because of government policy and projected immigration rates.

Cryptocurrencies are bad for the environment. That alone makes it a bad idea. The thing that makes it scarce is what causes it to use so much energy.
Yeah it is. Makes sense why Elon hopped off. There's actually been a push lately though for green eco-initiatives for Crypto.

Apr 4, 2022 at 6:58 AM Post #38,841 of 39,414
Crypto as a currency makes sense, even though the actual uses for it are currently close to non-existent. You can pay in certain places with it, but it isn't really able to do anything that a conventional currency can't. Future uses such as smart contracts do justify its existence for the most part.

Crypto as an asset is a borderline scam with a complete disregard for the environment and its impacts. Most new coins offer huge interest rates in order to attract new investors, but even if you disregard how much of a pyramid scheme the whole thing is, the principle of investing in something with nothing but some code behind it is beyond me. The idea of the public market is people "lending" their money to companies, who in turn invest said money, generate value, and "return the loan" to their investors with interest. By giving your money to them you are in theory generating value, by helping others generate value.

By investing in crypto, not only are you not investing in anything, you are actively causing harm. The only thing that is backing the value of those coins is other people having them, and you expecting that other people will want them even more in the future. It's a flawed concept to me, that was only really enabled by the disastrous amounts of cash that were printed during COVID - they were aimed as relief, but the way the money was distributed could not be stupider, and is currently contributing to the 7-8% inflation (I see that number as highly optimistic), with the food industry (basics) rocking a solid 20-25% for the past year, with some subcategories in the triple digits.

Apr 4, 2022 at 7:24 AM Post #38,842 of 39,414
Every generation has something that money is piled into chasing the dream of getting rich quick. This generation has more money than ever. Crypto is easily accessible, not like having to go prospecting for gold etc so much more people are jumping in. Not too sure anyone was concerned about the impact gold mining had on the environment either. Tends to go out the window when getting rich is on offer.

When something is easy to access and there are stories of people making millions and so on then people will be all over it, whatever the impact on the environment, whether it is a pyramid scheme or not or a "real" currency or not. The simple fact is people are making a lot of money from crypto and that will keep fueling it right or wrong. People losing their shirts never stopped the next guy from gambling on a horse.

Here I was thinking I was on an audio forum this morning :thinking:

Apr 4, 2022 at 9:14 AM Post #38,843 of 39,414
The Jewel sounds great on both N8ii and M9. In fact, it takes on a different signature with each and it is very very good both ways.

I never heard it on the n8ii. The first time I heard it was on the M8 which overdid the highs.

Apr 4, 2022 at 9:46 AM Post #38,844 of 39,414
Getting back on topic, one bad review isn’t going to ruin the Lime Ears Anima. And if the tuning is really that good it will show itself over time. Traillii is one example of that. People whined about the price, but after a while praised the sound, how it works with multiple sources, etc.

And the price isn’t even that out of line. $3700 is the same as XE6, U18t, way cheaper than Phonix , Traillii, Jewel, and not too much more than EXT, Odin, etc.

I mean the Elysian X is $4500 and no one screamed of the price.

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2022 at 11:12 AM Post #38,846 of 39,414
Awesome. :)
For me pretty useful conclusion of our conversation here is that we have started preparing additional demos for the tours. So you guys will be able to tell if Anima (and others) suit your tastes or not. My experience in this hobby is, apart from hype trains (and the ones going in the opposite direction) that it all gets down to personal interaction with the gear. You either love it or not so much.

There is this wise sentence that says: "There is only one thing in the world that one cannot be forced to. One cannot be forced to like something." :)

So @Rockwell75 I'd be happy to drop you a line in next few weeks. :)

On a side note… I have even been thinking about sharing, apart from traditional „how it’s made” blog/vlog something like „how much does it cost to design and make” series. It could be sort of double-edged sword and I’m not sure if anybody would be really interested in…

But the idea came from some YT videos I’ve been watching. There is guy called „Driver61” and he made videos such as „Why F1 pistons cost 50000GBP” (compared to 50GBP for „normal car”) or „Why F1 brakes cost 50000 GBP?”. Gosh, I’m not F1 fan (I even don’t know much about car engineering) but I found it so amusing and entertaining and felt for these guys who need to make parts in weird shapes, specs, technical abilities and in extremely small quantities (compared to automobile industry standard). Well, time will tell…

All the best!
Emil

Apr 4, 2022 at 11:25 AM Post #38,847 of 39,414
On a side note… I have even been thinking about sharing, apart from traditional „how it’s made” blog/vlog something like „how much does it cost to design and make” series. It could be sort of double-edged sword and I’m not sure if anybody would be really interested in…

But the idea came from some YT videos I’ve been watching. There is guy called „Driver61” and he made videos such as „Why F1 pistons cost 50000GBP” (compared to 50GBP for „normal car”) or „Why F1 brakes cost 50000 GBP?”. Gosh, I’m not F1 fan (I even don’t know much about car engineering) but I found it so amusing and entertaining and felt for these guys who need to make parts in weird shapes, specs, technical abilities and in extremely small quantities (compared to automobile industry standard). Well, time will tell…

All the best!
Emil

I would be interested in watching it. Audeze did something similar with the isine series.

Apr 4, 2022 at 11:35 AM Post #38,848 of 39,414
Getting back on topic, one bad review isn’t going to ruin the Lime Ears Anima. And if the tuning is really that good it will show itself over time. Traillii is one example of that. People whined about the price, but after a while praised the sound, how it works with multiple sources, etc.

And the price isn’t even that out of line. $3700 is the same as XE6, U18t, way cheaper than Phonix , Traillii, Jewel, and not too much more than EXT, Odin, etc.

I mean the Elysian X is $4500 and no one screamed of the price.
I did mention the Elysian X, https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-discovery-thread.586909/page-3916#post-16486410. Btw the new Elysian Diva is wow. Every brand definitely has hit and miss.

For Lime Ears, I like Original Aether & Model X. I am not like some people that like everything. To like everything is impossible, it is just 100% positive shilling. For example, I mentioned before Jomo old lineup that consists of Jazz, Deux, Tango, Quatre & Trinity is mediocre but they come back this time to mean business with their new lineup, Boxster, Supra, Spyder, Cappuccino and an upcoming flagship. I tried the flagship prototype at Canjam and it is amazing. Look at the review of Jomo Deux on the internet. It is very positive but there are hardly any owners of the Deux as it sounds like crap. Do a text search of "Jomo Deux" on Head-Fi. I discussed with Jomo at the Canjam on that particular series being a failure but I am happy he came back with a strong line-up. I can start recommending Jomo IEMs to audiophiles again.

Credit where credit's due. No need to shill every product as good. In this thread, my latest favourite recommendations are Oriolus Traillii & Aroma Jewel and they went on to be crowd favourites. For those people who shill every product, how many of those products being shilled went on to become legitimate crowd favourite?

P.S.
1.I like FIR KR5. Very good tuning!
2. @Lime Ears You don't need to develop the shells further as they are possibly one of the best in the market. I am really impressed by your shells, so good. Just need to work on your tuning. Cheers and All the best!

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2022 at 11:55 AM Post #38,849 of 39,414
Awesome. :)
For me pretty useful conclusion of our conversation here is that we have started preparing additional demos for the tours. So you guys will be able to tell if Anima (and others) suit your tastes or not. My experience in this hobby is, apart from hype trains (and the ones going in the opposite direction) that it all gets down to personal interaction with the gear. You either love it or not so much.

There is this wise sentence that says: "There is only one thing in the world that one cannot be forced to. One cannot be forced to like something." :)

So @Rockwell75 I'd be happy to drop you a line in next few weeks. :)

All the best!
Emil

I hope you can include the European folks in a tour - we've a good group covering Ireland, UK, Italy, Germany, France, Switzerland and Spain that have participated in a couple of tours now - DUNU before Christmas, and just started one with Oriveti. We are of course, keen to do more and would love to try Anima!

Apr 4, 2022 at 12:54 PM Post #38,850 of 39,414
Crypto as a currency makes sense, even though the actual uses for it are currently close to non-existent. You can pay in certain places with it, but it isn't really able to do anything that a conventional currency can't. Future uses such as smart contracts do justify its existence for the most part.

Crypto as an asset is a borderline scam with a complete disregard for the environment and its impacts. Most new coins offer huge interest rates in order to attract new investors, but even if you disregard how much of a pyramid scheme the whole thing is, the principle of investing in something with nothing but some code behind it is beyond me. The idea of the public market is people "lending" their money to companies, who in turn invest said money, generate value, and "return the loan" to their investors with interest. By giving your money to them you are in theory generating value, by helping others generate value.

By investing in crypto, not only are you not investing in anything, you are actively causing harm. The only thing that is backing the value of those coins is other people having them, and you expecting that other people will want them even more in the future. It's a flawed concept to me, that was only really enabled by the disastrous amounts of cash that were printed during COVID - they were aimed as relief, but the way the money was distributed could not be stupider, and is currently contributing to the 7-8% inflation (I see that number as highly optimistic), with the food industry (basics) rocking a solid 20-25% for the past year, with some subcategories in the triple digits.
I agree with almost everything in your post.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back