flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Feb 23, 2022 at 3:59 PM Post #38,506 of 39,414
Feb 23, 2022 at 4:40 PM Post #38,507 of 39,414
Feb 23, 2022 at 5:02 PM Post #38,508 of 39,414
Yep, this one stunned me. Literally a sneak attack. For anyone going to NYC Can Jam, check out Jewel.

44560A70-09D4-4F9D-A6CE-3C0C54C19AAF.jpeg

Feb 23, 2022 at 5:04 PM Post #38,509 of 39,414
Whoa. How does Jewel compare to X?

Feb 23, 2022 at 5:05 PM Post #38,510 of 39,414
Feb 23, 2022 at 5:08 PM Post #38,511 of 39,414
Whoa. How does Jewel compare to X?
They are quite different imho. First there is less sub bass emphasis compared to X, the violin timbre is more natural on Jewel, dynamics on Jewel are excellent regardless of power (X requires quite a bit more). X has the edge in treble extension whereas Jewel is presenting the listener with detail that is pleasurable but somehow doesn't leave anything on the table.

It's strange, but I feel my music is upgraded whenever I listen to Jewel

With X, it can be a bit much sometimes (which is advantageous for EDM). X also has much better vertical staging and gives orchestra room to breathe. Jewel is more spherical with the stage. Coherency on Jewel is a huge step up from X.

Here's a strange analogy. X is like a cocktail, Jewel is like champagne.

Feb 23, 2022 at 5:18 PM Post #38,512 of 39,414
They are quite different imho. First there is less sub bass emphasis compared to X, the violin timbre is more natural on Jewel, dynamics on Jewel are excellent regardless of power (X requires quite a bit more). X has the edge in treble extension whereas Jewel is presenting the listener with detail that is pleasurable but somehow doesn't leave anything on the table.

With X, it can be a bit much sometimes (which is advantageous for EDM). X also has much better vertical staging and gives orchestra room to breathe. Jewel is more spherical with the stage. Coherency on Jewel is a huge step up from X.

I am looking for the best IEM for Classical music. Your impressions along with @tgx78 makes me think the Jewel is what I am looking for and not the X. Obviously, Classical music has a ton of sub genre. But I am glad to hear it.

I think I might owe an apology to the poster who was pimping up the Jewel when it first came out. I was skeptical with the label of Traillii killer, but maybe it is just that.

Feb 23, 2022 at 5:30 PM Post #38,513 of 39,414
I am looking for the best IEM for Classical music. Your impressions along with @tgx78 makes me think the Jewel is what I am looking for and not the X. Obviously, Classical music has a ton of sub genre. But I am glad to hear it.

I think I might owe an apology to the poster who was pimping up the Jewel when it first came out. I was skeptical with the label of Traillii killer, but maybe it is just that.

Saying Jewel is a Traillii killer is like saying Phonix is the Erlkonig killer. They’re similar in some aspects but overall different enough to own both or like one more than the other, etc.

I still stand by that Jewel is the closest you’ll find to Traillii w DD bass, but even then that’s such a broad statement to make.

I also stand by that I think it is the better IEM, just don’t go into it expecting a treble head IEM because of 6 EST. I made that mistake during the demo and I just didn’t have enough time with it to grasp what it was about until I bought my own.

Feb 23, 2022 at 5:56 PM Post #38,514 of 39,414

Let me know your finding. Currently, for what I had tried, I think A8000 is very good for orchestra, but its super-fast decay destroys all the beauty of string instruments in solos, quartet, etc.

Feb 23, 2022 at 5:59 PM Post #38,515 of 39,414

what about your FIR Xenon 6?

Feb 23, 2022 at 6:45 PM Post #38,516 of 39,414
Too bad there’s no way to long term demo Jewel ( Like a week or two). I may just get Jewel if there’s no bone conduction Odin, my i4 already covers open staging and strong bass resolution. The Jewel sounds nice just for the fact that it’s closed and I don’t have to EQ it to sound good.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2022 at 6:47 PM Post #38,517 of 39,414
Too bad there’s no way to long term demo Jewel ( Like a week or two). I may just get Jewel if there’s no bone conduction Odin, my i4 already covers open staging and strong base resolution. The Jewel sounds nice just for the fact that it’s closed and I don’t have to EQ it to sound good.

Maybe when the "hype" dies down and CanJam is over you can ask Andrew @ MT to let you demo it for a few days? I only had one evening with it because there was a list of people waiting to hear it as well so I had to send it back fast. As time passes I'm sure the interest behind a demo will fade.

Feb 23, 2022 at 7:00 PM Post #38,519 of 39,414
Maybe when the "hype" dies down and CanJam is over you can ask Andrew @ MT to let you demo it for a few days? I only had one evening with it because there was a list of people waiting to hear it as well so I had to send it back fast. As time passes I'm sure the interest behind a demo will fade.
I might just do that. I tend to hold onto my IEMs for a while so I'm in no rush for a TOTL.
And I'd definitely would like to try out the X, but that's a limited edition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back