flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Feb 22, 2022 at 6:42 PM Post #38,493 of 39,419
Feb 22, 2022 at 8:24 PM Post #38,496 of 39,419
I want the best IEM no frills to complement my Odin. Looking for good vocals and smoothness. Not as worried about bass as I have that covered. Shortlist is Fusang or Traillii. Are there also other options at that level? Thanks
Jewell, EXT, Phoenix, come to mind.

Feb 22, 2022 at 9:50 PM Post #38,497 of 39,419
Hah’ and literally no one biting!
what tends to happen in a situation like this is somebody will ultimately buy it and then half a dozen people will come forward saying they wish they had seen or pulled the trigger...the truth is there arent that many buyers of the very expensive items....

Feb 22, 2022 at 9:57 PM Post #38,498 of 39,419
what tends to happen in a situation like this is somebody will ultimately buy it and then half a dozen people will come forward saying they wish they had seen or pulled the trigger...the truth is there arent that many buyers of the very expensive items....

I am one of those people. Unfortunately I was still in the research phase before someone bought it from him.

Feb 23, 2022 at 12:46 AM Post #38,499 of 39,419
I want the best IEM no frills to complement my Odin. Looking for good vocals and smoothness. Not as worried about bass as I have that covered. Shortlist is Fusang or Traillii. Are there also other options at that level? Thanks

The Mason FS has the creamiest presentation of the mids/trebles in my collection while also creating a very large stage. The vocals are to die for. Very good complement to the Odin in my view since they’re distinctly different.

Feb 23, 2022 at 1:33 AM Post #38,501 of 39,419
Feb 23, 2022 at 1:51 AM Post #38,502 of 39,419
You've seen my top 10, so I would pick either EXT or EVO to be the complementary IEM to Odin. However, if you want it for vocals and you don't want as heavy of a bass emphasis, then I would go for Phonix. It actually has very nice tuning for vocals. It's highly resolving. Oddly enough, EXT and Phonix are tuned more similarly in the lower mids which is better for vocals, but worse for classical music as it makes it sound muddy. But for vocals, it's warm and inviting. I prefer deeper and richer bass and DD timbre, so I prefer EXT to complement Odin.

I think Jewel, Traillii and Odin are more alike than complementary. At least they are for the music I listen to. I own Odin and Traillii and I have not yet heard the Jewel, but looking at the curve and reading the impressions, this is my understanding of the Jewel.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2022 at 4:04 AM Post #38,503 of 39,419
And now for something completely different (not gear related)...

I was sad to find out (about an hour ago) that one of my own musical heroes, Mark Lanegan (such an amazing voice), has died. RIP!!!

So many fantastic solo albums imo, but I also loved his collaborations with QOTSA, Isobel Campbell (Belle & Sebastian) and Greg Duli (Afghan Whigs). If you never heard his music, please check it out sometimes...

Back to business as usual now I guess :)

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2022 at 5:41 AM Post #38,504 of 39,419
You've seen my top 10, so I would pick either EXT or EVO to be the complementary IEM to Odin. However, if you want it for vocals and you don't want as heavy of a bass emphasis, then I would go for Phonix. It actually has very nice tuning for vocals. It's highly resolving. Oddly enough, EXT and Phonix are tuned more similarly in the lower mids which is better for vocals, but worse for classical music as it makes it sound muddy. But for vocals, it's warm and inviting. I prefer deeper and richer bass and DD timbre, so I prefer EXT to complement Odin.

I think Jewel, Traillii and Odin are more alike than complementary. At least they are for the music I listen to. I own Odin and Traillii and I have not yet heard the Jewel, but looking at the curve and reading the impressions, this is my understanding of the Jewel.

Read Page 200-250 of Vision Ears thread. Was about to order The EXT it until I found this by @AAF_EVO. The fit scares me. I have tried the U12T so I know the sizing pretty well. The SS tips got me a deep insertion on the U12T, sometimes an S on other tips. Was starting to visualize what it would be like to hear it. Oh well. Back to the drawing board.

IMG-20211028-WA0009.jpeg

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2022 at 7:56 AM Post #38,505 of 39,419
Read Page 200-250 of Vision Ears thread. Was about to order The EXT it until I found this by @AAF_EVO. The fit scares me. I have tried the U12T so I know the sizing pretty well. The SS tips got me a deep insertion on the U12T, sometimes an S on other tips. Was starting to visualize what it would be like to hear it. Oh well. Back to the drawing board.

Couple thoughts and this is how I heard the sets when I lived with them or demoed them.

First I think I understand why you are on the quest in the first place I did listen to Odin a couple times and I found it dry on vocals which is precisely why it did not move me to add it to my sets. I was enamored by Elysium for vocals for a while, still am, than I added Isabellae which is also great with vocals and works better for my night time use case. Note that I do not listen to much pop vocals, female jazz vocals mostly. That is the type of vocals I base my listening impressions on.

You already had FuSang on your short list, though Mason FS (and the FuSang variant) I hear/feel to have a lot more on offer than just vocals and the BC could be a little distracting if what you are after is more of a vocal focus.

I have this week been sent a lot of current IEMs to prepare for NYC CanJam where I will be helping with customers for MusicTeck. My time with the EXT, Phoenix, and Jewell was only one evening each, I did not have fit issues with any of them, I do think that of the three the EXT is the one that may have been an issue on a more extended listen, for the four hours I had it in no problems, it stayed snug for sure. Sound wise these are all similar, and all are more full bodied than the Elysium or Isabellae. The reason for this is that the treble and bass are more present.

Honestly if you can the best advice is take some time to listen before you buy, see which set moves you the most.

For me what happens is I hear something different with a set, and how my favorite music sounds listening with it. Than I can not get that special sound out of my head and I end up adding it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back