flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Sep 30, 2021 at 11:38 AM Post #36,076 of 39,414
Just gave it a watch. Overall seems like he thinks X > Traillii > Evo. 🤔🤭👀

X was overall his favorite, Traillii for vocals but bass light, Evo has a fun tuning to him but didn’t have much praise for it if any.

Most of his talks about the Evo were about the bad packaging of his IEMs in the round case.

He ended with X and Traillii being worth it, Evo not.

HBB is a clown and one of the shilliest of all the shill reviewers out there. He often makes crazy statements like that to go along with whatever his sponsors are pushing at a given moment (like that time he rated the Roland ahead of the LX, VX & u12t) only to backtrack to a position more in line with reality once the hype-period wears off. That's not even touching on his rampant and well documented anti-social behavior. That anyone still takes him seriously is a marvel.

Sep 30, 2021 at 11:51 AM Post #36,077 of 39,414
Sep 30, 2021 at 11:55 AM Post #36,078 of 39,414

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2021 at 12:21 PM Post #36,080 of 39,414
His opinion of course which he is indeed entitled to - I wholeheartedly disagree with the below though which is in the comments of the previously posted video, owning both MEST MKII and Traillii, the bird for me an entirely different level. It was actually his view of MEST MKII being the best IEM ever that put me off taking his reviews into consideration for my purchases.

Screenshot_20210930-171714_YouTube.jpg

Sep 30, 2021 at 1:03 PM Post #36,081 of 39,414
His opinion of course which he is indeed entitled to - I wholeheartedly disagree with the below though which is in the comments of the previously posted video, owning both MEST MKII and Traillii, the bird for me an entirely different level. It was actually his view of MEST MKII being the best IEM ever that put me off taking his reviews into consideration for my purchases.

Screenshot_20210930-171714_YouTube.jpg
I’ve watched a few of his reviews and I just can’t take them seriously.

Sep 30, 2021 at 1:14 PM Post #36,082 of 39,414
I’ve watched a few of his reviews and I just can’t take them seriously.
To me he is the Ken Rockwell of audio.

Great when I did not know anything, once I started to learn for myself I quickly realized these are attempts to be mainstream opinions and are not the best match to what matters most to me, also caused wasted money and time in the beginning of the journey.

The question I keep thinking is if these individuals can actually hear/see and have a sense of what is actually top tier and good, why do they say what they do? Which leads me to assumptions that someone is paying them to promote.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2021 at 5:47 PM Post #36,083 of 39,414
Yeah, I am listening right now, actually. And it's not even close to what I normally listen to. Just a great release.
I dig it on the Noir/1960s the most from what I have currently.
Maybe @Deezel177 would be kind enough to comment on EXT/ Noir differences on this album's presentation?
I just compared the two IEMs briefly with Ruler of my Heart from the same record, as well as Dimas Pradipta's 9 Range Road. I'd say the most obvious differences are the EXT's clearer, more present upper-mids, as well as the Noir's sharper mid-treble peak. The former adds vibrance and projection to Lady Blackbird's voice on the EXT, and the same goes for Dimas's snare drum. Whereas, the Noir's mid-treble peak gives Lady Blackbird a brighter, coarser rasp and sharper sibilants, and it boosts the inherent background hiss on the tracks too. That also has the side effect of taking some of the dynamic attention away from the lows and mids. So, elements like lower piano keys and the upright bass are a hair more powerful on the EXT. I'd say the Noir's presentation comes off a bit more straight-edged, while the EXT has more smoke, oomph and muscle to it.

I'm also tempted to give the technical edge to the EXT. I'm hearing fuller-textured, more tactile-sounding and more focused instruments here than on the Noir, whose notes are the tiniest bit more diffuse by comparison. This is probably one of the very first times I'm noticing a solid difference between a BA and a DD in the midrange. But, again, it's very early days, and it's quick comparison anyway. I'll have a lot more to say once the full review comes out. :wink:

Fantastic initial review. I am excited about these IEMs. I am most intrigued to hear how the combination of DD bass and mids works with the EST drivers. I really love dynamic driver timbre. I have a 3DT and Isabellae and they both really shine in natural instrumental timbre. I want to see if this EXT delivers that same quality in an IEM that has much better bass and treble extension. I really love the sound of the Isabellae, but listening to it after I listen to EVO, it sounds like it is missing a lot of extension. Can you comment on the naturalness of the timbre specifically in the mids and how coherent it is in achieving extension both for bass and treble? thanks.
Thanks, man. Yeah, I'd definitely say the EXT beats the Isabellae in terms of end-to-end extension by a good margin. They're very different tonality-wise, but the former clearly has the edge to my ears. In terms of naturalness, I'd say it depends on what your natural is. But, if I were to go by how the OG ELYSIUM was received, I'd say this one could receive even more plaudits for its timbre, because of how well it resolves those musclier, meatier frequencies too. The OG naturally had a slight bias towards the light and airy side of the spectrum to me. Whereas, there's a real density and slam to the EXT, and it isn't achieved by the traditional method of low-end smoke or low-mid warmth either. It's clearly a quality of the DDs, which gives - especially - the low-end and midrange instruments that tactility and substance to them. The warmth it achieves is spot-on as well for me. So, in those tonal and dynamic respects, it definitely hits natural on the money for me.

When it comes to coherence, I think the mids and lows connect absolutely flawlessly. They sound completely uniform in texture and timing, and, based on what I'm hearing, I reckon they flow nicely on the in-ear's FR graph as well. Heading up to the high-end, the low-treble sounds smoothly integrated on about 85-90% of the tracks I've listened to with a few ever-so-slightly-tizzy outliers. But, that's par for the course for any in-ear's top-end, unless it's inherently rolled-off. And, it's only at moderate-to-high volumes too; when I really wanna enjoy that bass. :wink: I'm actually really impressed with how well they've integrated the ESTs on the EXT. They don't sound as blink-and-you'll-miss-it fast as those on the OG. They have a tiny hint of body and swing to them, which blends nicely with the mids and lows. They aren't single-DD seamless, but I personally think this presentation tends to be more life-like anyway, especially with drums or pianos, which naturally have varying colours to them. Otherwise, though, I think - with this and the ODIN - those 2nd gen. e-stats from Sonion have really had their kinks worked out.

Thank you for such a fantastic review. I really like it when I read impressions that describe sounds in terms that I can relate to (for eg. sustain pedal, more solid, tactile). Pardon my ignorance but I find it challenging to understand terms like decay, breadth, width, height etc.
On a related but pithy note, I’ll admit I’m superficial and so attracted to the aesthetics of EXT… let’s see how long I hold out in not buying yet another IEM lol
'Much appreciated, man. I wasn't sold on the look at first, but they've definitely grown on me in hand (and in camera). :D

No problem buddy!
I’m glad you’re enjoying them and my oh my you got them at a very reasonable price!

I hope to get a chance to have a listen to them again someday.

Dammit Daniel 😂
I was trying to forget about the EXT’s existence and here you are feeding it to me. 🤣

I’m excited to try it one day!

That purple is really calling my name…
Haha, 'hope you get to do so soon, man. :wink:

My brain - I am not gonna fall for this NOPE skip reading impresssions !!!
My brain- (after reading)- Here he goes !!! God help this young man !!!🤦‍♀️
My heart and soul - Take it!! Enjoy life and dont miss the chance ...
My wallet- 😭
'Almost sounds like lyrics to an anime theme song, which is oddly on-brand for the EXT's aesthetic. :p

I'd say my initial impressions are very consistent with yours, but I hear with the Crystals what you hear with the Spinfits, and then a much darker version of the EXT with the spinfits
Yeah, that's probably down to just ear anatomy. I actually have to push the EXT a bit deeper on my left ear to achieve a perfectly-balanced stereo image. Such is life with a pair of wonky, asymmetrical canals. :D

Sep 30, 2021 at 5:58 PM Post #36,084 of 39,414
I just compared the two IEMs briefly with Ruler of my Heart from the same record, as well as Dimas Pradipta's 9 Range Road. I'd say the most obvious differences are the EXT's clearer, more present upper-mids, as well as the Noir's sharper mid-treble peak. The former adds vibrance and projection to Lady Blackbird's voice on the EXT, and the same goes for Dimas's snare drum. Whereas, the Noir's mid-treble peak gives Lady Blackbird a brighter, coarser rasp and sharper sibilants, and it boosts the inherent background hiss on the tracks too. That also has the side effect of taking some of the dynamic attention away from the lows and mids. So, elements like lower piano keys and the upright bass are a hair more powerful on the EXT. I'd say the Noir's presentation comes off a bit more straight-edged, while the EXT has more smoke, oomph and muscle to it.

I'm also tempted to give the technical edge to the EXT. I'm hearing fuller-textured, more tactile-sounding and more focused instruments here than on the Noir, whose notes are the tiniest bit more diffuse by comparison. This is probably one of the very first times I'm noticing a solid difference between a BA and a DD in the midrange. But, again, it's very early days, and it's quick comparison anyway. I'll have a lot more to say once the full review comes out. :wink:

Thanks, man. Yeah, I'd definitely say the EXT beats the Isabellae in terms of end-to-end extension by a good margin. They're very different tonality-wise, but the former clearly has the edge to my ears. In terms of naturalness, I'd say it depends on what your natural is. But, if I were to go by how the OG ELYSIUM was received, I'd say this one could receive even more plaudits for its timbre, because of how well it resolves those musclier, meatier frequencies too. The OG naturally had a slight bias towards the light and airy side of the spectrum to me. Whereas, there's a real density and slam to the EXT, and it isn't achieved by the traditional method of low-end smoke or low-mid warmth either. It's clearly a quality of the DDs, which gives - especially - the low-end and midrange instruments that tactility and substance to them. The warmth it achieves is spot-on as well for me. So, in those tonal and dynamic respects, it definitely hits natural on the money for me.

When it comes to coherence, I think the mids and lows connect absolutely flawlessly. They sound completely uniform in texture and timing, and, based on what I'm hearing, I reckon they flow nicely on the in-ear's FR graph as well. Heading up to the high-end, the low-treble sounds smoothly integrated on about 85-90% of the tracks I've listened to with a few ever-so-slightly-tizzy outliers. But, that's par for the course for any in-ear's top-end, unless it's inherently rolled-off. And, it's only at moderate-to-high volumes too; when I really wanna enjoy that bass. :wink: I'm actually really impressed with how well they've integrated the ESTs on the EXT. They don't sound as blink-and-you'll-miss-it fast as those on the OG. They have a tiny hint of body and swing to them, which blends nicely with the mids and lows. They aren't single-DD seamless, but I personally think this presentation tends to be more life-like anyway, especially with drums or pianos, which naturally have varying colours to them. Otherwise, though, I think - with this and the ODIN - those 2nd gen. e-stats from Sonion have really had their kinks worked out.

'Much appreciated, man. I wasn't sold on the look at first, but they've definitely grown on me in hand (and in camera). :D

Haha, 'hope you get to do so soon, man. :wink:

'Almost sounds like lyrics to an anime theme song, which is oddly on-brand for the EXT's aesthetic. :p

Yeah, that's probably down to just ear anatomy. I actually have to push the EXT a bit deeper on my left ear to achieve a perfectly-balanced stereo image. Such is life with a pair of wonky, asymmetrical canals. :D

Man I need to hear these things! Sounds exactly what I’m looking for right now. Your impressions are as informative as ever! Thanks @Deezel177 looking forward to the full review.

Sep 30, 2021 at 6:11 PM Post #36,085 of 39,414
Man I need to hear these things! Sounds exactly what I’m looking for right now. Your impressions are as informative as ever! Thanks @Deezel177 looking forward to the full review.
'Cheers, man. I hope to get it out to you guys sooner, rather than later. :)

Oct 1, 2021 at 10:01 AM Post #36,086 of 39,414
Another thing to note, when comparing EXT vs Ely with stock cables, EXT is noticeably wider in soundstage. I hear EXT not as "extended" Ely, but more as improved Ely
Great impressions and comparisons. Now after some burn in, how are you finding it’s technicalities (like detail retrieval and layering)? Does it achieve a holographic sound?

Oct 1, 2021 at 11:06 AM Post #36,087 of 39,414
I'm guessing the bass is going to be a bit lke the Meister, salivating just thinking about that. Meister (low) x Ely (mid/high) = EXT :) Tasty lows and lower-mids, rather L-shaped sound. Man, I hope the dealers will receive their demo soon

Oct 1, 2021 at 2:11 PM Post #36,088 of 39,414
Possibly little to no interest here, Cosmic Ears in the uk have finally announced universals to go along with their customs. Starting with 1 and 2 balanced armatu models, they plan to move up the range in due course. Got a limited time offer on atm.

Oct 1, 2021 at 4:32 PM Post #36,089 of 39,414
Cross-posted from the @EffectAudio Cables thread, but relevant here too.

ConX saved my Cardas cable

Hey guys (and gals). I just wanted to pop in to share my experience with @EffectAudio's ConX modular IEM connector system.

This is a short review (of sorts), but also a first-hand account of the process of getting one of my favourite cables of all time - a custom-made Cardas Clear cable by @doctorjuggles - converted to ConX.

What's ConX?

Probably a silly question given this is the EA cables thread, but for the benefit of newcomers, ConX is Effect Audio's take on a modular IEM connector system that allows you to easily share a single cable between different IEMs with different connectors types.

At the time of writing, the standard ConX system ships with one each of 2-pin (0.78mm), MMCX, A2DC and Pentaconn Ear (p-Ear) Connector modules. There's also a new 'ConX Reserve' option that ships with two each of the 2-pin and MMCX connectors, those being the two most popular IEM connector types on the market.

The two-part ConX system incorporates a female connector on the cable side into which a male screw-type connector, which comprises the termination part, firmly attaches. Once attached to each other, the resulting connector is only slightly larger than most standard IEM connectors, so doesn't add any unnecessary bulk to your cable or IEM.

ConX is currently available in a silver/chrome and a semi-gloss anodised black finish, though I'm unsure if Effect Audio has any plans of offer other finish options, which could be quite cool for customised designs.

Why ConX

I can't speak for anyone else, but for me the real value of ConX became clear when I bought a new IEM (Sennheiser's IE 900) that not only had a different termination to the bespoke high-end Cardas cables I recently had made (MMCX, with my cables being 2-pin terminated), it also had non-standard MMCX sockets that didn't support most standard cables (or 2-pin to MMCX adapters, for that matter).

Lo and behold, I read on this forum that ConX's MMCX connectors were one of the few that perfectly matched the IE 900. I also read on this forum that Effect Audio offered a refit service converting third party cables to ConX, and since I wanted to upgrade the IE 900's stock cable with my custom Cardas, this was an ideal solution without having to go back to the drawing board or invest in a new cable (at a significantly higher cost than the ConX conversion).

How to ConX

If you have a cable you think would benefit from the ConX treatment, the quickest way to arrange a conversion is to drop them an email at info@effectaudio.com, or better yet, PM @EffectAudio. I did the latter, and within a few days of friendly chatter, had a DHL label emailed to me for my cable pickup from Tatooine Cape Town to Singapore.

A full ConX conversion will set you back $50, plus $30 for labour on your custom/non-EA cable, plus shipping. You're probably in for ~$200 if you live in a far flung city like I do, but it should be a fair bit cheaper if you're from Asia, the US or Australia.

The longest part of the process was a stoppage at my local customs office, which ended up delaying the shipment by a week (my fault for picking the wrong export option). Once it reached Singapore, Effect Audio quoted me three to five business days for completion - it took exactly five days. Then it was a quick trip back (incredibly less than three days door to door in my case) and I had my newly-ConXed Cardas cable in hand.

For the record, I chose the black Reserve version for my black hardware cable, and the result is nothing short of stunning. Not only was the quality of the refit faithful to the cable itself (and if you're familiar with @doctorjuggles' work, you'll know all about his meticulous craftsmanship), the connectors are even better than the originals they replaced (and obviously far more versatile).

From what I can see the connectors are gold plated and very smoothly finished off. The cable-side connectors sit flush without any visible glue residue, but I would have appreciated some clear left/right markings to make quick swaps easier - even though it's easy enough to see which side is which by aligning the connector notch.

My cable was returned to me vacuum sealed in a branded Effect Audio bag, along with a small carry case for the spare connectors. My original (now removed) 2-pin plugs were also returned to me unharmed.

Inside the case, Effect Audio provides a silver key that catches into two small notches in the removable connectors to help loosen them. Simply align the hole in the key with the connectors, and gently turn it anti-clockwise until you feel it turn. Then remove the key and continue manually twisting the connector with your fingertips until it comes loose.

I find that you don't need to use the key to 'lock' the replaced connectors in place. Just turn them, carefully, clockwise, and they should align perfectly with the angle of the ear guide (if your cable has one).

Closing thoughts

I've enjoyed several sessions with my 'new' ConX Cardas cable, and can happily report there's absolutely zero quality loss with ConX compared to the original 2-pin connection to my Legend X IEMs. Switching connectors, not only does the MMCX option fit seamlessly on the IE 900, the Cardas is a significant sonic and ergonomic upgrade over the stock cable.

You may or may not be in the 'cables make a difference' camp, but it's not a stretch to say ConX made a massive difference to the usability and versatility of a cable I consider among the very best I've used. At a fraction of the original cost of the cable, it was a small price to pay for extending the life of my cable and enhancing the enjoyment of my existing IEMs in the bargain.

Better yet, I'm safe in the knowledge I can now use this cable for future IEMs too. In fact, I can't see myself investing in another high-end cable without giving it the ConX treatment from the start.**

**When you buy from one of Effect Audio's own range of cables you can add a ConX system of your choice for $30 as part of your order.

Oct 1, 2021 at 6:09 PM Post #36,090 of 39,414
Cross-posted from the @EffectAudio Cables thread, but relevant here too.

ConX saved my Cardas cable

Hey guys (and gals). I just wanted to pop in to share my experience with @EffectAudio's ConX modular IEM connector system.

This is a short review (of sorts), but also a first-hand account of the process of getting one of my favourite cables of all time - a custom-made Cardas Clear cable by @doctorjuggles - converted to ConX.

What's ConX?

Probably a silly question given this is the EA cables thread, but for the benefit of newcomers, ConX is Effect Audio's take on a modular IEM connector system that allows you to easily share a single cable between different IEMs with different connectors types.

At the time of writing, the standard ConX system ships with one each of 2-pin (0.78mm), MMCX, A2DC and Pentaconn Ear (p-Ear) Connector modules. There's also a new 'ConX Reserve' option that ships with two each of the 2-pin and MMCX connectors, those being the two most popular IEM connector types on the market.

The two-part ConX system incorporates a female connector on the cable side into which a male screw-type connector, which comprises the termination part, firmly attaches. Once attached to each other, the resulting connector is only slightly larger than most standard IEM connectors, so doesn't add any unnecessary bulk to your cable or IEM.

ConX is currently available in a silver/chrome and a semi-gloss anodised black finish, though I'm unsure if Effect Audio has any plans of offer other finish options, which could be quite cool for customised designs.

Why ConX

I can't speak for anyone else, but for me the real value of ConX became clear when I bought a new IEM (Sennheiser's IE 900) that not only had a different termination to the bespoke high-end Cardas cables I recently had made (MMCX, with my cables being 2-pin terminated), it also had non-standard MMCX sockets that didn't support most standard cables (or 2-pin to MMCX adapters, for that matter).

Lo and behold, I read on this forum that ConX's MMCX connectors were one of the few that perfectly matched the IE 900. I also read on this forum that Effect Audio offered a refit service converting third party cables to ConX, and since I wanted to upgrade the IE 900's stock cable with my custom Cardas, this was an ideal solution without having to go back to the drawing board or invest in a new cable (at a significantly higher cost than the ConX conversion).

How to ConX

If you have a cable you think would benefit from the ConX treatment, the quickest way to arrange a conversion is to drop them an email at info@effectaudio.com, or better yet, PM @EffectAudio. I did the latter, and within a few days of friendly chatter, had a DHL label emailed to me for my cable pickup from Tatooine Cape Town to Singapore.

A full ConX conversion will set you back $50, plus $30 for labour on your custom/non-EA cable, plus shipping. You're probably in for ~$200 if you live in a far flung city like I do, but it should be a fair bit cheaper if you're from Asia, the US or Australia.

The longest part of the process was a stoppage at my local customs office, which ended up delaying the shipment by a week (my fault for picking the wrong export option). Once it reached Singapore, Effect Audio quoted me three to five business days for completion - it took exactly five days. Then it was a quick trip back (incredibly less than three days door to door in my case) and I had my newly-ConXed Cardas cable in hand.

For the record, I chose the black Reserve version for my black hardware cable, and the result is nothing short of stunning. Not only was the quality of the refit faithful to the cable itself (and if you're familiar with @doctorjuggles' work, you'll know all about his meticulous craftsmanship), the connectors are even better than the originals they replaced (and obviously far more versatile).

From what I can see the connectors are gold plated and very smoothly finished off. The cable-side connectors sit flush without any visible glue residue, but I would have appreciated some clear left/right markings to make quick swaps easier - even though it's easy enough to see which side is which by aligning the connector notch.

My cable was returned to me vacuum sealed in a branded Effect Audio bag, along with a small carry case for the spare connectors. My original (now removed) 2-pin plugs were also returned to me unharmed.

Inside the case, Effect Audio provides a silver key that catches into two small notches in the removable connectors to help loosen them. Simply align the hole in the key with the connectors, and gently turn it anti-clockwise until you feel it turn. Then remove the key and continue manually twisting the connector with your fingertips until it comes loose.

I find that you don't need to use the key to 'lock' the replaced connectors in place. Just turn them, carefully, clockwise, and they should align perfectly with the angle of the ear guide (if your cable has one).

Closing thoughts

I've enjoyed several sessions with my 'new' ConX Cardas cable, and can happily report there's absolutely zero quality loss with ConX compared to the original 2-pin connection to my Legend X IEMs. Switching connectors, not only does the MMCX option fit seamlessly on the IE 900, the Cardas is a significant sonic and ergonomic upgrade over the stock cable.

You may or may not be in the 'cables make a difference' camp, but it's not a stretch to say ConX made a massive difference to the usability and versatility of a cable I consider among the very best I've used. At a fraction of the original cost of the cable, it was a small price to pay for extending the life of my cable and enhancing the enjoyment of my existing IEMs in the bargain.

Better yet, I'm safe in the knowledge I can now use this cable for future IEMs too. In fact, I can't see myself investing in another high-end cable without giving it the ConX treatment from the start.**

**When you buy from one of Effect Audio's own range of cables you can add a ConX system of your choice for $30 as part of your order.
I actually am considering using ConX for a few cables myself. I love my Z1R and I just picked up an M9 and IE900. All have MMCX connectors. So, I am short on high quality cables for these IEMs. Only problem is shipping to and from Singapore. How long does it take them to reterminate the cables to ConX?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back