flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Sep 29, 2021 at 4:47 PM Post #36,046 of 39,414
lol, i went ahead and did. from VEs post it should be every week or so after the demo units were shipped. just depends on how many each week

From MT? Problem is I sort of want to try the Phonix too just to see how different, if at all, it is from the Erlkonig. So maybe if they’re both available around the same time I’ll try Phonix first.

Sep 29, 2021 at 4:53 PM Post #36,047 of 39,414
From MT? Problem is I sort of want to try the Phonix too just to see how different, if at all, it is from the Erlkonig. So maybe if they’re both available around the same time I’ll try Phonix first.
Phonix will be longer than ext. heres what they said

Hi guys,

Here is a short update to the status of the EXT and PHöNIX. First of all, sorry for letting you hang on for so long, it's really a challenging time at the moment because resources of almost all parts are getting short so delivery dates are massively delayed. But now we received at least the missing parts for the EXT and a proof that the missing parts of the PHöNIX are almost finished, so: now we are able to tell you more!

EXT: end of next week the first units will leave our place, but please understand that Demo units for the dealers will be served first. But the week after, we will start to ship out constantly week by week to our dealers, so that your ordered units will be available soon.

PHöNIX: we are awaiting the missing parts by the first week of October.
So the first units will leave earliest mid of October. Again starting with the Demo units and immediately after this we will start shipping out to all our dealers.

We hope the waiting time didn't hurt too much. We are absolutely sure that, as soon as you hold your precious unit in your hands, all this suffering will pay off in the end.

Cheers from Cologne

Sep 29, 2021 at 5:53 PM Post #36,049 of 39,414
An R2R dongle from Cayin? Where do I sign up? 😃
Yeah, especially if it has a line out. The L&P W2 sounds terrible with the C9. It would be worth getting this dongle if it has a line out.

Sep 29, 2021 at 6:23 PM Post #36,050 of 39,414
Hey, everyone. Earlier today, I was graced by the arrival of the much, much-awaited Vision Ears EXT. I've spent the past few hours listening intently to them, and here are my thoughts on the in-ear so far:

VE-EXT-HF_S1.jpg

The first obvious change over the original is the EXT’s elevated low-end, now also powered by a 9.2mm dynamic driver. I recall worries, back when the EXT wasn’t even announced, that augmenting the OG ELYSIUM’s bass would take away from its headlining midrange. Now, I believe those concerns are - to a large degree - untrue. There is a change in the midrange (and the tonality overall) for sure, but not to its detriment; at least, in my opinion. What the low-end change does is give the midrange a much meatier, earthier support, which, to my ears, translates to power and weight. When a vocalist belts, the force - the oomph - coming from their diaphragm and chest are amplified. Whereas, the OG had a lighter, wispier, more effortless quality to its vocal presentation.

If I had to give a rough analogy, the OG ELYSIUM is 19-era Adele singing Chasing Pavements, while the new EXT is 25’s Adele crooning A Million Years Ago. They both have the same quality and clarity to them, but the EXT delivers it with a richer, more mature timbre. To my relief, that aged quality doesn’t translate at all to a veil or wooliness. Again, that gorgeously-textured, evocative midrange is still front-and-centre. It’s just a bit earthier and rooted now. If you’re the type of person to prefer lighter, floatier vocals apparating in the middle of the headspace, you may prefer the OG’s tonality more. But, if you like your vocals with more weight, more impact and more chutzpah, then the EXT is simply a level above.

Now, when it comes to that woofer’s own individual merits, I think it’s one of the most memorable bottom-ends I’ve heard since Empire’s Weapon IX drivers. I don’t mean they’re of the same ilk, necessarily. What I mean is that they both have this character (or flavour) to them that elevates them above the general DD sound. It’s what I personally feel tends to lack on FiR or 64’s DD-equipped in-ears, for example. There’s a certain physicality, texture and slam to this one that keeps it from fading into the background and sounding generic after a while. I was certain of this as soon as I heard Lady Blackbird’s Fix It, and I got chills simply from the low-end coming from the piano’s sustain pedal. Not even the keys; the sustain pedal.

That record’s one of the best-engineered, most stirring records I’ve heard in a while, by the way. Give it a go. :wink:

That chill also comes from the EXT’s much denser, more solid, more tactile notes, compared to the OG. As I mentioned a couple times in the past, the ELYSIUM can come off a bit wispy or insubstantial when not powered optimally. Instruments don’t always feel weighted or corporeal. There’s a certain floaty quality I alluded to earlier. The EXT gets rid of the issue completely, to my ears. Instruments on it feel physical and there, for lack of a better word, and that’s true across both my LPGT and my N6ii Ti. And, with DDs fuelling both the lows and mids, I feel that quality here even exceeds that of a properly-powered OG. Aside from the lows, I believe this is the EXT’s most notable change over its predecessor.

Up top, I personally don’t feel the treble’s rolled-off or lacking at all. The OG comes off airier because of its leaner low-end. But, in terms of raw extension, headroom and micro-detail retrieval, the EXT definitely goes tit-for-tat. I initially gave it a go with the default Sedna tips, and I noticed a mid-treble bump around 7-8kHz. I felt it created a slight gap between it and the upper-mids, causing the latter to sound a bit recessed. But, once I switched to the SpinFit’s, that bump vanished, and I immediately heard a much more linear, even-sounding tonality. I’d say upper-treble energy is equal on both, actually. You get the same amount of openness and air. You just get a bit more mid-treble articulation and bite from the Sedna’s.

So, three-or-so hours in, I have to say that I’m personally as in love with the VE EXT as I was with the OG a few years ago. I feel it perfectly addressed any and all shortcomings it once had, and it even went above-and-beyond in certain areas like the timbre and power of the low-end. That, in particular, made this feel like a true successor to me, rather than patchwork or a minor update; again, like a singer ageing and maturing their technique. However, in that vein, just like fans of singers can have their preferred eras, there will inevitably be changes that won’t be universally liked. But, hey, that’s what options are for, and I’m glad that both ELYSIUMs - for the time being - are here to stay.

I’ll be running them in further before I get to work on the full review, and I look forward to reading more impressions around these parts as well. Cheers! :)

Thank you for such a fantastic review. I really like it when I read impressions that describe sounds in terms that I can relate to (for eg. sustain pedal, more solid, tactile). Pardon my ignorance but I find it challenging to understand terms like decay, breadth, width, height etc.
On a related but pithy note, I’ll admit I’m superficial and so attracted to the aesthetics of EXT… let’s see how long I hold out in not buying yet another IEM lol

Sep 29, 2021 at 9:47 PM Post #36,051 of 39,414
to me that looks like a copy of the Luxury and Precision W2 DAC - very suspicious....

You mean as suspicious as L&P W2 looking very similar to Lotoo S1 :p

That new "smart dongle" design with OLED display, FN and Vol +/-, and 3.5mm/4.4mm jacks starting to become more common: Lotoo S1 and upcoming S2, L&P W1 and W2, and upcoming Cayin RU6. But they do vary under the hood with different DACs, including all discrete R-2R (RU6), LO (S2) or SPDIF (W1/W2), playback controls (S2), etc.

Sep 29, 2021 at 11:35 PM Post #36,052 of 39,414
Thank you for such a fantastic review. I really like it when I read impressions that describe sounds in terms that I can relate to (for eg. sustain pedal, more solid, tactile). Pardon my ignorance but I find it challenging to understand terms like decay, breadth, width, height etc.
On a related but pithy note, I’ll admit I’m superficial and so attracted to the aesthetics of EXT… let’s see how long I hold out in not buying yet another IEM lol
You are doomed, just like me.

Sep 30, 2021 at 12:24 AM Post #36,053 of 39,414
Finally had some proper time to listen to the EARSONICS GRACE!!!
And TBH they are really good for the price I got them for
1100 dollars !!!
20210929_132536.jpg
Initial impressions -
I am not happy with the stock tips, they just didn't deliver that good and i was sad :weary:
So i tip rolled (fit also was not perfect with stock tips since i just got a few and S size , i am an ML person)
After a few-( many more i need to tip roll), i found the match-
These were AZLA SEDNA XELASTIC Tips and these just took me by surprise!!
20210929_132653.jpg
Now coming on to the sound -
The layering is like planars pretty much havent heard any thing similar.
The stage is wide but not tall yet the contrast in the upper end of notes do remain albeight by a good enough margin.
They are pretty dynamic but not something like MEST MK2 where the notes are much more foreward, taller and energetic in the upper frequencies .
These are just a tiny bit north of neutral and dont show much energy anywhere.
Vocals are beautifully balanced and man they are much more better than my daily driver SHOZY POLA.
Imaging is excellent and the separation is decent (but loses to VE8 i had just 3 days with it and i still remember it)
Bass and sub-bass are good for a BA drivers but are neutral with more emphasis on texture, punch and differentiation rather than that DD feel in MEST MK2 or VE8.
Treble is pretty good and energetic yet smooth without being overly bright
Midrange is really good with the full filling notes and lovely vocals, no upper mids glare at all and microdetails are way more musically presented i feel like than even MEST MK2 (but in quantity they are similar)

Well thats my initial impressions haha !!! more comparison to come on after !!!
20210929_133332.jpg
NOTE- My DAP was N6ii with R01(impressions are with R01) thanks to @MusicTeck and T01 ( I like it more with R01 but T01 gave it some more energy in upper treble sparkle (which is more in my liking) but R01 has that organic feel with good sparkle in treble which doesn't cause fatigue in long sessions, and staging seems better and slowly I am liking it more haha!!! )
Desktop amps trying later on but these are easy to drive about 40 on high gain is too loud for me!!
Special Thanks to @subguy812 , @Deezel177 also nic and @riverground :beerchug:

Upcoming - hehe !!!
20210929_133120.jpg
No problem buddy!
I’m glad you’re enjoying them and my oh my you got them at a very reasonable price!

I hope to get a chance to have a listen to them again someday.

Hey, everyone. Earlier today, I was graced by the arrival of the much, much-awaited Vision Ears EXT. I've spent the past few hours listening intently to them, and here are my thoughts on the in-ear so far:

VE-EXT-HF_S1.jpg

The first obvious change over the original is the EXT’s elevated low-end, now also powered by a 9.2mm dynamic driver. I recall worries, back when the EXT wasn’t even announced, that augmenting the OG ELYSIUM’s bass would take away from its headlining midrange. Now, I believe those concerns are - to a large degree - untrue. There is a change in the midrange (and the tonality overall) for sure, but not to its detriment; at least, in my opinion. What the low-end change does is give the midrange a much meatier, earthier support, which, to my ears, translates to power and weight. When a vocalist belts, the force - the oomph - coming from their diaphragm and chest are amplified. Whereas, the OG had a lighter, wispier, more effortless quality to its vocal presentation.

If I had to give a rough analogy, the OG ELYSIUM is 19-era Adele singing Chasing Pavements, while the new EXT is 25’s Adele crooning A Million Years Ago. They both have the same quality and clarity to them, but the EXT delivers it with a richer, more mature timbre. To my relief, that aged quality doesn’t translate at all to a veil or wooliness. Again, that gorgeously-textured, evocative midrange is still front-and-centre. It’s just a bit earthier and rooted now. If you’re the type of person to prefer lighter, floatier vocals apparating in the middle of the headspace, you may prefer the OG’s tonality more. But, if you like your vocals with more weight, more impact and more chutzpah, then the EXT is simply a level above.

Now, when it comes to that woofer’s own individual merits, I think it’s one of the most memorable bottom-ends I’ve heard since Empire’s Weapon IX drivers. I don’t mean they’re of the same ilk, necessarily. What I mean is that they both have this character (or flavour) to them that elevates them above the general DD sound. It’s what I personally feel tends to lack on FiR or 64’s DD-equipped in-ears, for example. There’s a certain physicality, texture and slam to this one that keeps it from fading into the background and sounding generic after a while. I was certain of this as soon as I heard Lady Blackbird’s Fix It, and I got chills simply from the low-end coming from the piano’s sustain pedal. Not even the keys; the sustain pedal.

That record’s one of the best-engineered, most stirring records I’ve heard in a while, by the way. Give it a go. :wink:

That chill also comes from the EXT’s much denser, more solid, more tactile notes, compared to the OG. As I mentioned a couple times in the past, the ELYSIUM can come off a bit wispy or insubstantial when not powered optimally. Instruments don’t always feel weighted or corporeal. There’s a certain floaty quality I alluded to earlier. The EXT gets rid of the issue completely, to my ears. Instruments on it feel physical and there, for lack of a better word, and that’s true across both my LPGT and my N6ii Ti. And, with DDs fuelling both the lows and mids, I feel that quality here even exceeds that of a properly-powered OG. Aside from the lows, I believe this is the EXT’s most notable change over its predecessor.

Up top, I personally don’t feel the treble’s rolled-off or lacking at all. The OG comes off airier because of its leaner low-end. But, in terms of raw extension, headroom and micro-detail retrieval, the EXT definitely goes tit-for-tat. I initially gave it a go with the default Sedna tips, and I noticed a mid-treble bump around 7-8kHz. I felt it created a slight gap between it and the upper-mids, causing the latter to sound a bit recessed. But, once I switched to the SpinFit’s, that bump vanished, and I immediately heard a much more linear, even-sounding tonality. I’d say upper-treble energy is equal on both, actually. You get the same amount of openness and air. You just get a bit more mid-treble articulation and bite from the Sedna’s.

So, three-or-so hours in, I have to say that I’m personally as in love with the VE EXT as I was with the OG a few years ago. I feel it perfectly addressed any and all shortcomings it once had, and it even went above-and-beyond in certain areas like the timbre and power of the low-end. That, in particular, made this feel like a true successor to me, rather than patchwork or a minor update; again, like a singer ageing and maturing their technique. However, in that vein, just like fans of singers can have their preferred eras, there will inevitably be changes that won’t be universally liked. But, hey, that’s what options are for, and I’m glad that both ELYSIUMs - for the time being - are here to stay.

I’ll be running them in further before I get to work on the full review, and I look forward to reading more impressions around these parts as well. Cheers! :)

Dammit Daniel 😂
I was trying to forget about the EXT’s existence and here you are feeding it to me. 🤣

I’m excited to try it one day!

That purple is really calling my name…

Sep 30, 2021 at 1:40 AM Post #36,054 of 39,414
No problem buddy!
I’m glad you’re enjoying them and my oh my you got them at a very reasonable price!

I hope to get a chance to have a listen to them again someday.

Dammit Daniel 😂
I was trying to forget about the EXT’s existence and here you are feeding it to me. 🤣

I’m excited to try it one day!

That purple is really calling my name…
The purple is making it easy for me... Not my thing 🤷‍♂️😀

Sep 30, 2021 at 1:48 AM Post #36,055 of 39,414
Sep 30, 2021 at 3:33 AM Post #36,056 of 39,414

VE-EXT-HF_S1.jpg

My brain - I am not gonna fall for this NOPE skip reading impresssions !!!
My brain- (after reading)- Here he goes !!! God help this young man !!!🤦‍♀️
My heart and soul - Take it!! Enjoy life and dont miss the chance ...
My wallet- 😭

Sep 30, 2021 at 5:25 AM Post #36,057 of 39,414

Attachments

• papago_1632993734594.jpg
    papago_1632993734594.jpg
    331.9 KB · Views: 0
  • papago_1632993869158.jpg
    papago_1632993869158.jpg
    355.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Sep 30, 2021 at 6:12 AM Post #36,058 of 39,414

VE-EXT-HF_S1.jpg

I'd say my initial impressions are very consistent with yours, but I hear with the Crystals what you hear with the Spinfits, and then a much darker version of the EXT with the spinfits

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2021 at 8:44 AM Post #36,059 of 39,414

Users who are viewing this thread

Back