flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Oct 2, 2021 at 3:08 AM Post #36,107 of 39,414
The EVO isn't available in the wild, if he bought one it is a demo, I was around when he was pushed out of HeadFi, I'm not sure if he's a con man, nuts or both.

What was he pushed off Head-Fi for?!

Oct 2, 2021 at 3:27 AM Post #36,108 of 39,414
You can Google it, but he tried to shake down a manufacturer and used racist taunts in the process. Before that, he was constantly getting threads shut down, was abusive of other members, and frequently taunted and threatened other members. Other than that he was a real nice fellow.

Oct 2, 2021 at 3:36 AM Post #36,109 of 39,414
You can Google it, but he tried to shake down a manufacturer and used racist taunts in the process. Before that, he was constantly getting threads shut down, was abusive of other members, and frequently taunted and threatened other members. Other than that he was a real nice fellow.

Oh yeah I saw something about the racism actually, I think on Facebook. I wasn't aware of the other stuff.

Yep, seems a decent bloke alright 😄

Oct 2, 2021 at 7:13 AM Post #36,110 of 39,414
That's too bad. I have been spending a fortune reterminating cables to 4.4mm. Shipping costs are killing me. Why is it that only Singapore and Hong Kong do terminations for USA?
I’ve sent a few cables to Plussound to get re-terminated (and to address other issues) and have had only positive experiences.

Oct 2, 2021 at 1:07 PM Post #36,112 of 39,414
I wonder if EA would ever "license" other cable-makers to do "local" ConX installs? E.g., I'd love to be able to buy a Plussound cable and have them use ConX.
It would be great to have someone in Europe indeed. But I'm not waiting for that. @Damz87 picture and yesterday's discussion made me put the vague intentions into action. My Leo II is on its way to Singapore. :) I'd be interested in trying it with a Z1R when I get it back. It's one of the (few) flagships I haven't had the pleasure to hear on my IEM journey.

Oct 2, 2021 at 2:01 PM Post #36,113 of 39,414
I’ve sent a few cables to Plussound to get re-terminated (and to address other issues) and have had only positive experiences.
Whoa. I didn't know that they did custom work on cables not their own. This is huge for me. I think they are in LA, right?

Oct 2, 2021 at 2:06 PM Post #36,114 of 39,414
I wonder if EA would ever "license" other cable-makers to do "local" ConX installs? E.g., I'd love to be able to buy a Plussound cable and have them use ConX.
I believe e-earphone in Japan does it themselves. So if there’s demand I’m pretty sure it’ll happen elsewhere too.

Oct 2, 2021 at 2:08 PM Post #36,115 of 39,414
It would be great to have someone in Europe indeed. But I'm not waiting for that. @Damz87 picture and yesterday's discussion made me put the vague intentions into action. My Leo II is on its way to Singapore. :) I'd be interested in trying it with a Z1R when I get it back. It's one of the (few) flagships I haven't had the pleasure to hear on my IEM journey.
Excited for you to hear the Z1R man!

Here’s to hoping it’ll fit in your ears.

Oct 2, 2021 at 2:24 PM Post #36,116 of 39,414
Excited for you to hear the Z1R man!

Here’s to hoping it’ll fit in your ears.
If they don't fit, custom tips will fix that problem.

Oct 2, 2021 at 2:30 PM Post #36,117 of 39,414
Oct 2, 2021 at 2:58 PM Post #36,118 of 39,414
If they don't fit, custom tips will fix that problem.
The only problem with that is the fit depth. The Z1R really benefits from a deeper insertion depth. But then again, I’ve never had to use custom tips before. Just basing it off of photos I’ve seen with how far the IEM’s actual bore is to the end of the custom tips’ tip.
I don't have one yet lol!
“Yet” 😉

Oct 2, 2021 at 3:02 PM Post #36,119 of 39,414
The only problem with that is the fit depth. The Z1R really benefits from a deeper insertion depth. But then again, I’ve never had to use custom tips before. Just basing it off of photos I’ve seen with how far the IEM’s actual bore is to the end of the custom tips’ tip.

“Yet” 😉
I've A/B tested the Z1R with regular and the custom tips, I prefer the sound from the custom tips and the comfort will work for anyone. IIFC, the main difference is with the treble. I don't have a treble problem with the Z1R with either tip types. I do have some treble sensitivity when there is too much glare. I don't experience that with the Z1R. The bass is perfect both ways.

Oct 2, 2021 at 3:04 PM Post #36,120 of 39,414
Whoa. I didn't know that they did custom work on cables not their own. This is huge for me. I think they are in LA, right?
Yes! Christian at Plussound is great. drop them a note…I’m sure he will hook you up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back