flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Jun 23, 2021 at 2:01 PM Post #33,046 of 39,414
Possibly OFF topic but a big shout out to someone who said that TOTL headphones were at least 30% better than TOTL iems and @MatW (who wouldn't be drawn and in fairness said they were "different")....

I don't possess TOTL iems - unless you consider nio and z1r - but my solitaire P's spank the backside off those little monkeys .

ABSOLUTELY NO comparison...

I'm so glad I made the leap..!!

Jun 23, 2021 at 2:05 PM Post #33,047 of 39,414
Looks like the Z1R treble peaks earlier and also more aggressively, with a second slightly less aggressive peak after that. It also has a super tweeter dedicated to treble, and my experience with super tweeters is that sometimes they do their job too well. Whereas the IE900 is likely more cohesive, and the chamber is specially tuned to attentuate treble harshness using resonators. In addition the elevated upper mids of the Z1R likely impact the lower treble response.

I'm busy trying to get more info on exactly how the IE900's treble and bass responses have been engineered, because I know there was a definite tuning direction here. Will be sure to include what I find in my full review.
you heard the Z1R?

Jun 23, 2021 at 2:05 PM Post #33,048 of 39,414
Possibly OFF topic but a big shout out to someone who said that TOTL headphones were at least 30% better than TOTL iems and @MatW (who wouldn't be drawn and in fairness said they were "different")....

I don't possess TOTL iems - unless you consider nio and z1r - but my solitaire P's spank the backside off those little monkeys .

ABSOLUTELY NO comparison...

I'm so glad I made the leap..!!
Horses for courses

Jun 23, 2021 at 2:20 PM Post #33,053 of 39,414
I have no interest in attempting to take a fat pair of LCD4’s and Hugo 2 to the library to get some work done. A pair of VE8 and my SE200 however…
I wouldn't hesitate bringing my Hiby R6 2020 and Focal Utopia. The only problem is that it won't work in a library since it's open back. As we keep saying. Headphones and IEMs are different experiences and have different strengths and weaknesses. I stand behind my claim that if we are just evaluating sound quality in a quite environment that headphones would win most battles and that is due mostly to Physics.

Jun 23, 2021 at 2:33 PM Post #33,054 of 39,414
I wouldn't hesitate bringing my Hiby R6 2020 and Focal Utopia. The only problem is that it won't work in a library since it's open back. As we keep saying. Headphones and IEMs are different experiences and have different strengths and weaknesses. I stand behind my claim that if we are just evaluating sound quality in a quite environment that headphones would win most battles and that is due mostly to Physics.

Well ... my first foray into headphones was based on comments like yours above....

I went straight to the top and I cannot agree more - I've been blown away - physics rocks!

I've had mine for 100 hours plus now so I may be experiencing burn in euphoria... ! FANTASTIC!

Jun 23, 2021 at 2:52 PM Post #33,055 of 39,414
In my experience,' T+A' has always been expensive (I do not mean the brand)......

Jun 23, 2021 at 4:14 PM Post #33,059 of 39,414
Haha… It would certainly make this hobby much easier.

... especially, if you move to NJ, within a driving distance from Andrew/Musicteck :p

Jun 23, 2021 at 4:18 PM Post #33,060 of 39,414
... especially, if you move to NJ, within a driving distance from Andrew/Musicteck :p
Don't forget the other Andrew at bloom.

Also, is it a requirement to be named Andrew to run a niche audiophile shop?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back