flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Jun 18, 2021 at 11:42 AM Post #32,688 of 39,414
Speaking of flagships, new adventures and a change of direction, are you guys ready to see the first step in my post-Fourte future...?

giphy (6).gif

Jun 18, 2021 at 11:47 AM Post #32,689 of 39,414
Speaking of flagships, new adventures and a change of direction, are you guys ready to see the first step in my post-Fourte future...?

giphy (6).gif

We don't exactly have similar tastes but I've enjoyed your journey and admittedly curious.

Jun 18, 2021 at 12:06 PM Post #32,691 of 39,414
Let me just get my tin hat...ok, let's do this...

PSX_20210618_173512.jpg

And as they say on YouTube...let me know what you think in the comments!
Hope there is some more elaboration coming?

Jun 18, 2021 at 12:06 PM Post #32,692 of 39,414

Oh yes! :) I can afford this

The PV looks so cool
Single DD sounds delish, and especially designed by Sony
Gotta try them soon!
Thanks for letting us know

Jun 18, 2021 at 12:10 PM Post #32,693 of 39,414

PSX_20210618_173512.jpg

You are going wireless? I just ordered a pair of Sony WF-1000XM4 last week. It is supposed to arrive before the end of the month. Only getting it as an alternative to Airpods Pro for voice. Music quality is a bonus. I have the WF-1000XM3 and the music quality is great for bluetooth, but the fit was not great and the voice quality was terrible. Giving it another shot with the XM4.

Jun 18, 2021 at 12:15 PM Post #32,694 of 39,414

PSX_20210618_173512.jpg

Ummmm wait really? The sony xm4 replaced all your iem craves 😲🧐😳😳😱
I cant admittedly believe into that one. 🤔🤯

Like really this aint no flagship by any means. What made you love it so much?

Jun 18, 2021 at 12:30 PM Post #32,695 of 39,414
Yes folks, I'm going wireless! And Sony's new flagship TWS, with LDAC support, means true wireless has finally come of age for audiophiles.

I have them in my ears right now - having only received them earlier today - and I can already tell these will be getting almost all my listening time the minute I leave the house. They'll also be my permanent travel companions (ANC is top shelf, as advertised), and my IEMs of choice when I want to listen to music between work calls and video conferences.

In truth I've been pining for a true wireless IEM solution for months, even longer, but until the XM4 was announced, I just couldn't bring myself to put up with the p**-poor quality of SBC and AAC BT audio. In fact, it took me a while to get my phone to switch to LDAC, and the despair as I heard the obviously compressed music start to play was palpable. As soon as I figured it out and LDAC was locked in, it was like a veil lifting off the music. Harsh artefacts gone.

Music, for me, is not always just about quality though (even though that's the most important factor of course). It's also about practicality, accessibility, convenience. I'm not going to take a Legend X for a walk or a run (ok a walk, I don't run unless I'm being chased by an axe murderer), and even fussing with a dangling cable to the BLONs is a hassle I can live without. Cutting the wires opens up a whole new world of music listening opportunities, and like Paul McCartney famously said when asked what he uses to listen to music (and I paraphrase): whatever's available.

And so starts a new part of this journey, and one I hope leads to even better designs and technologies that let us listen to music with TOTL quality anytime, anywhere, without wires.

Jun 18, 2021 at 12:37 PM Post #32,696 of 39,414
Ummmm wait really? The sony xm4 replaced all your iem craves 😲🧐😳😳😱
I cant admittedly believe into that one. 🤔🤯

Like really this aint no flagship by any means. What made you love it so much?
Ok, you got me Tiger!

All the above is true (and for the record, the Sony XM4 IS the current TWS flagship, so I wasn't lying).

But of course there's more to this story...

PSX_20210618_173636.jpg

Jun 18, 2021 at 12:46 PM Post #32,697 of 39,414
Yes folks, I'm going wireless! And Sony's new flagship TWS, with LDAC support, means true wireless has finally come of age for audiophiles.

I have them in my ears right now - having only received them earlier today - and I can already tell these will be getting almost all my listening time the minute I leave the house. They'll also be my permanent travel companions (ANC is top shelf, as advertised), and my IEMs of choice when I want to listen to music between work calls and video conferences.

In truth I've been pining for a true wireless IEM solution for months, even longer, but until the XM4 was announced, I just couldn't bring myself to put up with the p**-poor quality of SBC and AAC BT audio. In fact, it took me a while to get my phone to switch to LDAC, and the despair as I heard the obviously compressed music start to play was palpable. As soon as I figured it out and LDAC was locked in, it was like a veil lifting off the music. Harsh artefacts gone.

Music, for me, is not always just about quality though (even though that's the most important factor of course). It's also about practicality, accessibility, convenience. I'm not going to take a Legend X for a walk or a run (ok a walk, I don't run unless I'm being chased by an axe murderer), and even fussing with a dangling cable to the BLONs is a hassle I can live without. Cutting the wires opens up a whole new world of music listening opportunities, and like Paul McCartney famously said when asked what he uses to listen to music (and I paraphrase): whatever's available.

And so starts a new part of this journey, and one I hope leads to even better designs and technologies that let us listen to music with TOTL quality anytime, anywhere, without wires.

I'm not far off from you!

The convenience of TWS just can't be beat, which is why I've steered away from IEMs a bit - on my end if I'm out and about and switching from podcasts to music to calls then TOTL IEMs won't do it, too much hassle switching back and forth. If I'm plugging something in for proper music listening it'll be at home with the VC (for my tastes and preferences).

That being said, I have thought something like the Fiio UTWS3 could be handy, have you considered that option?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08QMGPWP...imm_2QFH6QVHDZ2AVJV3ZRJN?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Jun 18, 2021 at 12:53 PM Post #32,699 of 39,414
Sure ,TWS is very convenient but I use my IEMs on walks ,commutes and trips with a BTR5 or 5K ,the difference in convenience isn't much. It's better even for controlling volume and changing tracks IMO.

Jun 18, 2021 at 12:59 PM Post #32,700 of 39,414
I'm not far off from you!

The convenience of TWS just can't be beat, which is why I've steered away from IEMs a bit - on my end if I'm out and about and switching from podcasts to music to calls then TOTL IEMs won't do it, too much hassle switching back and forth. If I'm plugging something in for proper music listening it'll be at home with the VC (for my tastes and preferences).

That being said, I have thought something like the Fiio UTWS3 could be handy, have you considered that option?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08QMGPWP...imm_2QFH6QVHDZ2AVJV3ZRJN?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
I am with you. I walk every day, so I tried lots of alternatives for listening to music and taking phone calls while walking outside. My main 4 options depending on my mood are:

1) Hiby R6 2020 + Custom LX. This is the best sound of my options for walking. The Custom gives me perfect isolation even when it is windy and I get deep subbass rumble outside. I use my Apple Watch + Airpods Pro for phone calls if needed. Or, I carry my iPhone in my pocket if I need access to the internet while walking.

2) iPhone Xs Max + UM 3DT + Fiio UTWS3. Hard to beat the truly wireless user experience. Don't need to deal with wires. But, those wires are important for sound quality. I use this for short walks of less than 30 mins. And, you can take brief calls. With the LX, you need to carry and extra pair of Airpods Pro.

3) iPhone Xs Max + L&P W2 + EE Odin. I use this just as an option for a different listening experience.

4) iBasso DX160 + Thieaudio Monarch. This pairing just works and sounds great together. Again. iPhone in pocket or Apple watch for phone calls.

1) and 2) get the majority of my listening time while outside.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back