flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Mar 5, 2021 at 9:48 PM Post #28,561 of 39,414
Man.... that JH Jolene is looking super interesting. Never heard any JH stuff, but something about it and the review over on headfonics have me very interested. I have said it many times but I really don't want to keep spending money on this stupid hobby, especially because I am pretty happy with what I have, not to mention that I did just pick up that new aaw/custom art iem. Do I dare dive into custom finally? I always worry that if I dont like it, not easy to resell, and even though I had impression done, I still worry about the fit, and having my ears change and having them eventually no longer fit well.

Also, uhh, screw the bird! Hah, just kidding. Its been crazy seeing the hype about it, but yea, WAY out of my comfort zone.

JH Audio has a universal of Jolene that they can send for audition.

Mar 5, 2021 at 10:00 PM Post #28,562 of 39,414
I actually just shot an email over to them for more info, and specifically asked if there was a way to demo. Good to know, thanks! Bad for my wallet, but good to know. Definitely going to be watching these with some interest, even though I definitely am a bit apprehensive about getting customs, especially at that price.

Mar 5, 2021 at 11:06 PM Post #28,563 of 39,414

I actually just shot an email over to them for more info, and specifically asked if there was a way to demo. Good to know, thanks! Bad for my wallet, but good to know. Definitely going to be watching these with some interest, even though I definitely am a bit apprehensive about getting customs, especially at that price.

I am extremely intrigued by this new design. Jolene has 4 DD drivers! 2 x 9.2mm for sub and 2 x 4.9mm for some mids thats going to be extaesy for the ears with so many DD and textures in the bass

I am only concern for it not being tubeless and no apex...

Mar 5, 2021 at 11:39 PM Post #28,564 of 39,414
I am extremely intrigued by this new design. Jolene has 4 DD drivers! 2 x 9.2mm for sub and 2 x 4.9mm for some mids thats going to be extaesy for the ears with so many DD and textures in the bass

Why are you concerned for the drivers not being tubeless?

Mar 6, 2021 at 12:46 AM Post #28,565 of 39,414
Why are you concerned for the drivers not being tubeless?

Because tubless has more natural sound and less distortion possibly.
Think of 64a trio and fourte, ierz1r, m9, fir audio.

I believe in tubeless 😛

Mar 6, 2021 at 1:15 AM Post #28,566 of 39,414
That statement alone will save a lot of money for you in iems. To buy DAPs and cables instead

Mar 6, 2021 at 1:21 AM Post #28,567 of 39,414
That statement alone will save a lot of money for you in iems. To buy DAPs and cables instead

😎 That was a straight to the point and honest answer it is something that concerns me a lot after being with 64a for so so many years it will be hard to lose this privilege.

Mar 6, 2021 at 1:52 AM Post #28,568 of 39,414
Hey all, just wanted to write a quick note on the VE Meister, damn they are opening up nicely and have become the I am I tend to reach for, followed by the Trio, and Solaris (anyone wants to buy a lightly used MEST?). Did a brief head to head with the Trio and MEST, listening to Jackson Browne's” Solo Acoustics, ” and the remarkable Jennifer Koh, “Bach & Beyond, pt.3.” I love using good solo recordings of instruments that I know quite well while testing tonality and timbres.

The clear and easy win on this test is the Meister, the Trio is good, but the former adds a hint of warmth, capturing the tone of Jackson’s guitar, from the pluck through the resonance (this is something most music transducers whiff on), with spot-on timbre. The Trio is quite good, but its more neutral tuning robs the music of the warmth of live music. With Koh, it's closer, but the Meister still takes first place, it is more revealing of the atonal quality a violin can have when desired, it stops and starts faster, provides a clearer window of the performance venue, allowing the listener to discern the size of the studio via the echo of dying notes.

Having now heard what VE can do with dynamic midrange (Elysium) and bass (Meister) I'm looking forward to seeing what they will come up with in 2021!

Mar 6, 2021 at 2:34 AM Post #28,570 of 39,414
Mar 6, 2021 at 2:37 AM Post #28,571 of 39,414
How about a comparison on Daps from you? I would love it if a 1k Dap ( or even less) was best. Tks.
Ah, I wish, but unlike IEMs I'm not really into DAP rolling (or collecting). I find a good DAP that gives me the right synergy with my IEMs and stick with it. And by good DAP I mean one with all the speed and performance I want from a modern 'music computer' and the right technicalities and power to control the IEMs and then get out of the way to let them do what they do best. With all that said I should have my R8 'review' coming out soon.
You can always wire the whole house and have great speakers everywhere. The main difference is others in the house cannot tell you to turn it down, or worse turn it off, at least for me that is one of the reasons why HPs and IEMs get used at home by me.
Ditto. I switched to IEMs from headphones for the same reason - open headphones need 'me' space, and that's not easy in a busy household. And yeah, speakers are for movies. I don't have the time, funds or space to build a speaker system that comes close to the quality of my IEMs.

My one concern is @marcusd's review suggested it doesn't have bass vents. That could be a big problem I would think.
Because tubless has more natural sound and less distortion possibly.
Think of 64a trio and fourte, ierz1r, m9, fir audio.

I believe in tubeless 😛
I wouldn't worry, it really depends on the IEM design. The Legend X doesn't suffer from tubes, for example. And tubes can be very useful for precision tuning, especially with customs. That's why we haven't seen a custom Fourte yet.

Mar 6, 2021 at 2:44 AM Post #28,572 of 39,414
i can tell u this if erlkonig is the best iem i heard using my sp2000, compared to susvara + violectric 590, u r not even 30% close to that experience, the susvara is the biggest shocking headphone i ever heard, but it does not mean i do not adore iems, and always will be intrigued by iems as well

can anyone else chime in here before I order the susvara + violectric 590.

thanks

Mar 6, 2021 at 2:45 AM Post #28,573 of 39,414
that's helpful re susvara. thanks
Except I don't think you need an SP2K to make the most of Trailli (or any IEM for that matter). There are a few great DAPs that cost <$2K that'll max it out, unlike Susvara (or HD800 or LCD4) that really do need the best of the best to sound their best. That's one of the plusses of switching from desktop to portable for me personally - the constant chase for bigger, better, cleaner desktop sources was neverending. Not so with mobile.

Mar 6, 2021 at 2:49 AM Post #28,574 of 39,414
My one concern is @marcusd's review suggested it doesn't have bass vents. That could be a big problem I would think.

Not saying there isn't, just my sad tired eyes couldn't find any lol. Don't need venting for 4.9mm though, pretty small drivers like that can breathe fine inside those shells. :relaxed:

Mar 6, 2021 at 2:50 AM Post #28,575 of 39,414
Except I don't think you need an SP2K to make the most of Trailli (or any IEM for that matter). There are a few great DAPs that cost <$2K that'll max it out, unlike Susvara (or HD800 or LCD4) that really do need the best of the best to sound their best. That's one of the plusses of switching from desktop to portable for me personally - the constant chase for bigger, better, cleaner desktop sources was neverending. Not so with mobile.

it was the ”u r not even 30% close” comment that caught my attention.

that's worth chasing imo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back