flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Mar 6, 2021 at 5:24 AM Post #28,591 of 39,414
They posted a graph in the video, I’m no expert but it seems like there’s a pretty heavy bass lift (even though that’s adjustable), some 2.5 forwardness, not unlike the A18S and A12t, really smooth lower treble and huuuge upper treble. JH himself said the 20k is only like 6db below the other frequencies which seems to be remarkable for an IEM

Already sent them an email with a design concept :D
I got interested in the JH IEM's after i saw the latest thread, especially since the video gives an incredible nice impression about them. And indeed the company and the owner/creator seem to do an excellent job in producing some of the best IEM's on the market - no doubt that the reputation they have built speaks for them.
I found some reviews of their flagship product - but they are all a bit similar it seems and hence one can assume that the other IEM's in their series are also in that level of quality:
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/jerry-harvey-audio-layla-custom-iem.24142/reviews
https://headfonics.com/jh-audio-layla-signature-design-series-review/
https://www.headfonia.com/review-jh-audio-layla/4/

Why I in the end remained with the Traillii decision (if I may say) is that I can't easily do custom ears and I am not a big fan of custom IEM's - i prefer to be able to change the earbuds and maybe one day resell the IEM for something else and that is impossible with a custom made. That is personal, but one other thing that kind of struck me that one can adjust bass, mids and treble up and down and they also it seems provide a button to change those settings - I understand that for professionals and musicians this is of value -but for me as "simple consumer" that is confusing. I want a product that is perfect without fiddling around and having to tighten the screws every now and then - I want it easy and perfect.
The fact that JH seems to require strong AMP's to sound good (according to the reviews) is for me also a draw back since i am using my IEM with a Smartphone and a L&P W1 DAC and the power they can produce is limited.

I only write that because the JH video is sensationally impressive, their presentation and website and variety of choices of faceplates and shells is astounding and admirable AND the sound of their IEM's seem top of the range - all perfect - but there are a few caveats to it and before jumping into conclusions it is worth evaluating how/where and in what environment one plans to use the own IEM. If one ticks all the boxes then congratulations - it must be a very good choice in that case.
My 2 cents.

Mar 6, 2021 at 5:25 AM Post #28,592 of 39,414
Dude, don’t worry about that! :D Every interaction I (and the vast majority of us on this thread) have is always in good faith and good fun. I remember arguing with @mvvRAZ about compressed music and whether or not it was the artist’s intention, to then talking and joking about upcoming IEMs on Facebook just hours later.

Unless it’s some really troubling, really personal stuff, I hope it’s very clear that threads like these are a safe space for us enthusiasts to just talk and share opinions. And, I hope just as much that it continues to be that way.

But, yeah, you can rest assured that those comparisons should be coming sooner, rather than later. :wink:
You know I was right :D

Mar 6, 2021 at 5:29 AM Post #28,593 of 39,414
I got interested in the JH IEM's after i saw the latest thread, especially since the video gives an incredible nice impression about them. And indeed the company and the owner/creator seem to do an excellent job in producing some of the best IEM's on the market - no doubt that the reputation they have built speaks for them.
I found some reviews of their flagship product - but they are all a bit similar it seems and hence one can assume that the other IEM's in their series are also in that level of quality:
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/jerry-harvey-audio-layla-custom-iem.24142/reviews

Why I in the end remained with the Traillii decision (if I may say) is that I can't easily do custom ears and I am not a big fan of custom IEM's - i prefer to be able to change the earbuds and maybe one day resell the IEM for something else and that is impossible with a custom made. That is personal, but one other thing that kind of struck me that one can adjust bass, mids and treble up and down and they also it seems provide a button to change those settings - I understand that for professionals and musicians this is of value -but for me as "simple consumer" that is confusing. I want a product that is perfect without fiddling around and having to tighten the screws every now and then - I want it easy and perfect.
The fact that JH seems to require strong AMP's to sound good (according to the reviews) is for me also a draw back since i am using my IEM with a Smartphone and a L&P W1 DAC and the power they can produce is limited.

I only write that because the JH video is sensationally impressive, their presentation and website and variety of choices of faceplates and shells is astounding and admirable AND the sound of their IEM's seem top of the range - all perfect - but there are a few caveats to it and before jumping into conclusions it is worth evaluating how/where and in what environment one plans to use the own IEM. If one ticks all the boxes then congratulations - it must be a very good choice in that case.
My 2 cents.

JH is the one who invented IEM.

Mar 6, 2021 at 5:30 AM Post #28,594 of 39,414
It looks like the low- and mid-treble are gonna sit a touch behind the centre-mids, which I personally love to see. I'm guessing it's gonna be a 1kHz peak, rather than a 2.5kHz one, because that's classic JH. But, we'll have to see once more measurements show up. I'm also curious to hear what that high-mid dip is like relative to everything else.

Having looked at quite a few IEM graphs, a mere 6dB drop at 20kHz is pretty darn impressive. That's tia or FiR levels of treble extension. Of course, it's not gonna sound exactly like those IEMs, given what the rest of the graph looks like. But, in treble extension alone, that's certainly exciting. It's also brings a smile to my face when I recall Jerry Harvey's 2012 Google Talk, where he said the Roxanne was one of the first in-ears on the market to "properly reach 20kHz." It goes to show how far he - and the industry in general - have really grown, and this one's gonna be $100 cheaper than the Rox too. :D
My sincere congratulations if you can HEAR 20Khz. There are test CD's and audio files out there to test loudspeakers and they go from 20Hz to 20Khz in continuous steps . I tested several of those audio files and at around 15Khz it becomes almost impossible to hear anymore if the sinus is on or not. At 16Khz its finish for me - maybe that's my age - our hearing ability decreases with aging (that is why buying top range IEM's makes only sense when we are younger) and I tried very hard to see if there is ANY CHANCE to hear 18Khz - no chance whatsoever.
The sound pressure at 16Khz is so small its so faint - that i wonder how relevant is ANY graph that shows frequency ranges up to 20Khz or more.
I invite you to test your own ears - if you can hear 20Khz - please let me know - so far I don't know ANYBODY who is able to hear that frequency !

Mar 6, 2021 at 5:36 AM Post #28,595 of 39,414
O.K. I did not know but if so - then I bow my head to his achievement - i used On_Ear before and hated the weight and the clumsiness of this stuff over my head, they went into the drawer and were soon forgotten - then i sold them and switched to Loudspeaker only. Sadly, my wife does not always appreciate my music taste - so some music styles i can't listen since, as she would hear it also pretty well and NOT be happy about. NOW with an IEM that is top of the range - problem solved !
AND I thought that little plugs in the ear are uncomfortable (like those 60 USD crap IEM's that come with Smartphones or a sold in cheap websites) UNTIL....
It's great that some courageous inventors come up with new and very well suitable solutions.

Mar 6, 2021 at 5:37 AM Post #28,596 of 39,414
can anyone else chime in here before I order the susvara + violectric 590.

thanks
You should ask about the synergy in the Susvara thread. I follow that, but I don't think many users have this combo.

Mar 6, 2021 at 5:58 AM Post #28,598 of 39,414
Just to clarify a point, at least as far as my contributions to this conversation are concerned. Whatever resentment there may be about the continued grip this IEM has had on the hearts and minds of many contributors of this thread isn't so much a matter of "there's this one really good IEM they won't stop talking about" and more about how audaciously priced, and thus comparatively inaccessible, the IEM is relative to the rest of the market. All of the IEMs that have been the flavor-of-whatever timeframe here in the past have been at least vaguely accessible to me in as much could imagine a chain of events leading to me owning one. The Trailli is the first one with this much exposure and accolades that is also so far out of my league that I can't even imagine owning one. It is the conjunction of these two factors that have probably contributed to a little sadness and maybe even resentment in some. I'm not saying these people shouldn't just put on their big boy pants "get over it"...but human nature is such that I'm not surprised the sentiment is there to a minor degree-- and I'm not saying I don't feel said sadness myself at times. But, as they say, onward and upward-- there are too many great IEMs sure to be released in the coming months and years to lose too much sleep over one. (All of that being said with this degree of discussion around one IEM a dedicated thread really was the right call if for no other reason than getting all the best info for this IEM focused in a main thread. )
If something is NOT good and been set to high in price - so the perceived value over the invested money is disproportional - the market with regulate this by itself - one can price himself out of the market and hence sell almost nothing. Other extreme is if one sells something very GOOD but too cheap - then the producer does not capture the value creation he deserves. In marketing there are many studies about this balance - and the best place to be is called "sweet spot" that is where (sold quantities)/price is maximized. Often hard to find. Clearly the manufacturer of Traillii is NOT interested to reach a wider audience - they put a price tag that is for many prohibitive.
I know several restaurants in the US and Europe where a diner costs in excess of 200 USD per person per meal - that is NOT because the food is so precious or the cook in the kitchen has such a high salary, or because they have so much staff - BUT TO KEEP THE AUDIENCE that eats there small and limited to a "certain clientele". Not saying that this is what Oriolus has in mind - but just to explain that high prices can have various reasons: real costs that need to be passend on, wish to limit sold quantities to keep the artisanal approach and NOT grow the business, creating an artificial barrier to block out certain audiences that are not welcome, hype creation around a product ....

What I like about this thread here (although i signed up for the bird only thread) is that there is diversity of thoughts and product descriptions and eye opening comments about other concepts and ideas. I think if we all sing to only one bird it would become a bit boring maybe... I mean, how much can you repeat talking about the same item again and again.

Mar 6, 2021 at 6:00 AM Post #28,599 of 39,414
Sorry to hear that man....I’m pretty sure VE will take care of it. And that’s a valid concern on the durability.

Edit: I think IEM manufacturers should move to aluminium shells or some other type of lightweight metal/alloy for universals, similar to what FiR and 64 Audio are using. It definitely provides more durability than acrylic shells.
metal feels cold, isn't that uncomfortable when putting in ? Acrylic is always kind of neutral in tems of temperature feeling

Mar 6, 2021 at 6:25 AM Post #28,600 of 39,414

My 2 cents.
In my experience, JH's IEMs don't really need a powerful amp to sound their best. They can surely scale, but portable DAPs can run them perfectly fine.

You know I was right :D
Ehh... we'll agree to disagree. :p

My sincere congratulations if you can HEAR 20Khz. There are test CD's and audio files out there to test loudspeakers and they go from 20Hz to 20Khz in continuous steps . I tested several of those audio files and at around 15Khz it becomes almost impossible to hear anymore if the sinus is on or not. At 16Khz its finish for me - maybe that's my age - our hearing ability decreases with aging (that is why buying top range IEM's makes only sense when we are younger) and I tried very hard to see if there is ANY CHANCE to hear 18Khz - no chance whatsoever.
The sound pressure at 16Khz is so small its so faint - that i wonder how relevant is ANY graph that shows frequency ranges up to 20Khz or more.
I invite you to test your own ears - if you can hear 20Khz - please let me know - so far I don't know ANYBODY who is able to hear that frequency !
I've tried those tests in the past and I can get up to 18-19kHz, depending on the day. But, there's a difference between being able to hear tones up to 20kHz and an IEM being able to reproduce frequencies up to 20kHz. Between about 15-20kHz is a region called "air frequencies", and they're named so because they contribute a feeling of airiness or openness to the track. It's not a frequency you can hear melodically per se, but what it contributes is crucial, because you can hear its effects throughout the rest of the frequency range. This is especially so in IEMs. In-ears that significantly (>10dB) roll-off after about 10 or 12kHz, typically have less tactile instruments, less precise imaging and separation, and slightly fuzzier quality overall. Whereas, IEMs that are able to maintain presence up to the highest octaves will typically produce a much blacker background, a more holographic, stable stage and more tactile, dynamic instruments.

Again, it's not a tone you can hear, but the headroom that region provides is crucial to everything that's below it. That's why tech like tubeless BAs and e-stats have become more popular (apart from marketing, of course). And, it's why the Jolene's spec there is impressive as well. As Headfonics' review stated, the in-ear has even stronger stereo imaging and depth than the Layla, and it's fair to assume that this is why.

metal feels cold, isn't that uncomfortable when putting in ? Acrylic is always kind of neutral in tems of temperature feeling
It can feel cold at first if it's been in a colder environment for some time, but it warms up rapidly to your body temperature once you wear them.

Mar 6, 2021 at 6:27 AM Post #28,601 of 39,414
Thanks MatW - do you have any feelings re the ”u r not even 30% close” comment comparing totl iems with totl headphones now you are collecting iems?
A few pages back I said: 'I don't think an IEM will ever be able to give me the same experience as a TOTL headphone.' I would not be able to put a % on it, but yeah, for me it is clearly headphones first, if I had to choose. I like to enjoy both, and I fully respect that others favor the intimacy and portability of IEMs over a desktop setup. (Gotta be careful in a TOTL IEM thread ... :))

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2021 at 7:09 AM Post #28,602 of 39,414
And sued 1964 Audio who released a triple driver IEM and JH US patent was in the end rescinded. Thank the audio Gods, that could have set us back years from where we are today. Competition works.

Mar 6, 2021 at 9:00 AM Post #28,603 of 39,414
This IEM, doesn’t get enough respect 😢. Underrated, and currently on promo sale Musicteck. DUNU LUNA, just addictive sound and unique tuning. Did I mention best comfort in the business?

96475C48-0A43-466C-B9CA-CBF88AEDB283.jpeg
I have always said that. It is great as your only IEM and also makes an excellent compliment, especially if it fits like it does on me. It is my most comfortable IEM.

Mar 6, 2021 at 9:15 AM Post #28,604 of 39,414
13BCA67E-72C7-4BD5-8736-4B3B3591F32C.jpeg
My se6 Edge received. They do have more bass and clearer highs than original se6, and do not have mid spike that with grand new original se6.

Mar 6, 2021 at 10:33 AM Post #28,605 of 39,414
What I like about this thread here (although i signed up for the bird only thread) is that there is diversity of thoughts and product descriptions and eye opening comments about other concepts and ideas. I think if we all sing to only one bird it would become a bit boring maybe... I mean, how much can you repeat talking about the same item again and again.

I agree this thread in itself is one of my favorite places online to discuss audio for this very reason-- the high concentration of differing opinions, experience, perspective etc.

One thing I have noticed is that the differences between various $$ tiers of gear are often much less signifcant than is implied-- it is possible to be entirely satisfied with a rig costing less than $2K without really feeling you are missing anything. Extra $$ beyond that is mostly about refinements due to personal tastes.

Every now again, in any field really, something comes along that seems to defy convention and change the game. Last summer hype around the MEST was at an absolute fever pitch-- it broke cost barriers, seemed to render everything above $1k totally irrelevant and I was half expecting reports of it walking on water and then feeding all of Head Fi with a few loaves and fishes. Of course, the hype didn't last-- after a few months there were some cracks in the armour and a continuous trickle of MESTs started to appear in the classifieds. Not that it's not a great IEM-- it is one of my faves-- but it's reputation is much more grounded now. I am not saying this is the case here but it's still early days and beyond a point the only thing that will absolutely confirm the bird's legendary status in the face of skeptics and rule out definitively that what we're witnessing now is not just some form of sunk-cost induced mass hysteria-- is time. If this IEM is as good as is being implied then it will likely remain at the top for some time. Wait a year and see what happens.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back