flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Mar 5, 2021 at 7:50 PM Post #28,532 of 39,414
My newly received VE 8 has a broken nozzle, so bummed!

D34B320F-13DA-4642-8EC8-8DF6CB4C2366.jpeg

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2021 at 7:52 PM Post #28,534 of 39,414
I could say the same about my 2-channel system vs HP’s. It is a hobby and sometimes we want to be mobile around the house. I am trying to get into HP’s though, but still do not like wearing them. Will see.
You can always wire the whole house and have great speakers everywhere. The main difference is others in the house cannot tell you to turn it down, or worse turn it off, at least for me that is one of the reasons why HPs and IEMs get used at home by me.

Mar 5, 2021 at 7:54 PM Post #28,535 of 39,414
You can always wire the whole house and have great speakers everywhere. The main difference is others in the house cannot tell you to turn it down, or worse turn it off, at least for me that is one of the reasons why HPs and IEMs get used at home by me.

Same for me. The speakers get used mostly with movies.

Mar 5, 2021 at 7:56 PM Post #28,536 of 39,414
My newly received VE 8 has a broken nozzle, so bummed!
oh man...that's brutal. sorry, man.

ve will definitely take care of you to get that sorted asap.

Mar 5, 2021 at 7:59 PM Post #28,537 of 39,414
20210305_195741.jpg
Currently trying to acclimatize myself to these while banging out my Wraith impressions

Mar 5, 2021 at 8:02 PM Post #28,539 of 39,414
Bummer :/ I’m sure it’ll get taken care of though. Show us those faceplates though! I wasn’t sold on those at first and thought the signature edition looked nicer, but they’re growing on me.

690FBBC7-1CD0-451B-BBD4-004EAC84E6C7.jpeg

Mar 5, 2021 at 8:08 PM Post #28,540 of 39,414
Although I used to be into photography quite a bit and shot with a Leica digital camera, those days are long gone so my iPad‘s camera is what I rely on now days. I apologize for the quality of my picture of the VE 8 Anniversary.

Mar 5, 2021 at 8:08 PM Post #28,541 of 39,414
Question of JH owners. What is JH house like, what do they go for their sound signature?
For me at least it's characterized by a focus in the bass and lower mids, than gradually ease off after a bump in the centre mids for vocals, dipping in the upper mids, a bit of lower treble and then just tapering off. It's great for western music no doubt and if I was sheerly evaluating based off of that, I give most of them perfect marks. The upper mids dip and just not as prevalent treble tends to hurt JH with asian music.

The Lola is a very interesting tuning more in line with my tastes: I swear the upper mids are boosted and my ears tell me that too, but there is a very clear recession in the FR that just don't line up with what I hear, so those treble peaks are pulling some kind of black magic. So far the Lola seems to be the only JH that I'd like.
Every time I see the faceplates, I can help but muse out loud "Louis Vitton is going into summit fi iems?"

Mar 5, 2021 at 8:08 PM Post #28,542 of 39,414
Mar 5, 2021 at 8:09 PM Post #28,543 of 39,414
This thread has always spent some time when something new was found and caught on. Last year you, yourself spoke about the Elysium quite a bit. And that was good. Then came Thummim. Now it is Traillii. It is okay. A Traillii thread would be fine as well, but this thread is supposed to be about the best as is its name. And I do appreciate when something extra special is discovered and communicated. .
So I do find it ironic that some people are complaining that it’s become a Traillii thread, especially given their history posting extensively about an IEM that they love (which again, nothing wrong with that and I am all for!). I’m all for criticism too, which Traillii deserves for its pricing/marketing IMO.

Just to clarify a point, at least as far as my contributions to this conversation are concerned. Whatever resentment there may be about the continued grip this IEM has had on the hearts and minds of many contributors of this thread isn't so much a matter of "there's this one really good IEM they won't stop talking about" and more about how audaciously priced, and thus comparatively inaccessible, the IEM is relative to the rest of the market. All of the IEMs that have been the flavor-of-whatever timeframe here in the past have been at least vaguely accessible to me in as much could imagine a chain of events leading to me owning one. The Trailli is the first one with this much exposure and accolades that is also so far out of my league that I can't even imagine owning one. It is the conjunction of these two factors that have probably contributed to a little sadness and maybe even resentment in some. I'm not saying these people shouldn't just put on their big boy pants "get over it"...but human nature is such that I'm not surprised the sentiment is there to a minor degree-- and I'm not saying I don't feel said sadness myself at times. But, as they say, onward and upward-- there are too many great IEMs sure to be released in the coming months and years to lose too much sleep over one. (All of that being said with this degree of discussion around one IEM a dedicated thread really was the right call if for no other reason than getting all the best info for this IEM focused in a main thread. )

Mar 5, 2021 at 8:09 PM Post #28,544 of 39,414
Last edited:
Mar 5, 2021 at 8:09 PM Post #28,545 of 39,414
Although I used to be into photography quite a bit and shot with a Leica digital camera, those days are long gone so my iPad‘s camera is what I rely on now days. I apologize for the quality of my picture of the VE 8 Anniversary.
I use a S20, wiped off desk and a desk lamp. Don't underestimate the camera tech in consumer electronics these days

Users who are viewing this thread

Back