flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Mar 4, 2021 at 9:26 PM Post #28,396 of 39,414
Indeed, I did. That whole day was pretty crazy; a combination of nerves prior to the interview, confusion as I got lost in Japan's subway system and elation as the interview went so much better than expected. :D I had a couple more Inner View's lined-up that were supposed to take place at CanJam SG, but then COVID happened, so we'll have to wait quite a bit 'til the next instalment.

Actually, with all this talk about the Trailli's headphone-like, out-of-head imaging, I recently spoke to Ito-san about possible purchasing one of his IEMs as a spatial reference. I remember his IEMs being particularly stellar when it came to stage expansion; like, outstandingly so. I wanted to see if that remains true today, and possibly have it in hand to compare against if I ever do get a chance to give the bird a try. :wink:

I’ve always been curious about Kumitate’s products, but they don’t have universals, do they?

Mar 4, 2021 at 9:30 PM Post #28,397 of 39,414
I’ve always been curious about Kumitate’s products, but they don’t have universals, do they?
They have one universal called the KL-Trio. It's got a metal shell, and it used to be quite the item in Singapore. I think fans of it then are still fans of it now; almost FitEar-like in a way. But, I don't recall getting to try it myself.

Mar 4, 2021 at 11:39 PM Post #28,400 of 39,414
This strategy to make the purchasing price of something you want seem reasonable by pointing out that there are other, very unreasonable purchases is effective, but not entirely convincing. 5-6k for an IEM is still insane, no matter how you twist it.
That's why all the proper audio stores always have alcohol wipes on deck. :wink:
The only reason prices go up is when people like us don't push back against unreasonable prices in the first place. When you're willing to pay whatever it costs to get something you like regardless of what it's actually 'worth', then the people who make that something are happy to charge whatever you're willing to pay.
@gLer Bingo, you got it, as long as people don't push back against pressed unicorn testicle type pricing, manufacturers will charge unobtanium prices. Even if the Master himself spends a day tuning each Tralli, they are $3,000 more expensive than they should be.

Mar 4, 2021 at 11:42 PM Post #28,401 of 39,414
$1 of price increase = $1 of EBIDTA. After the 10-14 multiple of EBITDA that equity firms pay for companies and we end up with a lot of justification for charging more. If consumers still buy it than it is all upside for the share valuation.
Oriolus is publically traded?

Mar 4, 2021 at 11:57 PM Post #28,402 of 39,414
Where do you draw the line or place value though? How do we come to the conclusion that the Traillii is $3k too much? To me it is above any IEM I have heard in sound and fit, even the Erlkonig which is $4.2k USD and the MMR Thummim which comes in at $4.5k USD. Does that validate it’s cost?

As I was awaiting my demo unit I said there’s no chance I’d buy it at the cost unless it’s something that I hear to be “groundbreaking” and it delivered on that front and then some.

My $2.8k FiR M5 and $3k 64 Audio A18s sound “mid-fi” ish in comparison. I wish the Trailllii were $3k cheaper too though, my wallet would love that. :D

Mar 5, 2021 at 12:15 AM Post #28,403 of 39,414
Where do you draw the line or place value though? How do we come to the conclusion that the Traillii is $3k too much? To me it is above any IEM I have heard in sound and fit, even the Erlkonig which is $4.2k USD and the MMR Thummim which comes in at $4.5k USD. Does that validate it’s cost?

As I was awaiting my demo unit I said there’s no chance I’d buy it at the cost unless it’s something that I hear to be “groundbreaking” and it delivered on that front and then some.

My $2.8k FiR M5 and $3k 64 Audio A18s sound “mid-fi” ish in comparison. I wish the Trailllii were $3k cheaper too though, my wallet would love that. :D

Even the Erlky sound “mid-fi” ish in comparison to my headphones (and i4) :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Mar 5, 2021 at 12:26 AM Post #28,405 of 39,414
Mar 5, 2021 at 12:30 AM Post #28,406 of 39,414
Indeed, I did. That whole day was pretty crazy; a combination of nerves prior to the interview, confusion as I got lost in Japan's subway system and elation as the interview went so much better than expected. :D I had a couple more Inner View's lined-up that were supposed to take place at CanJam SG, but then COVID happened, so we'll have to wait quite a bit 'til the next instalment.

Actually, with all this talk about the Trailli's headphone-like, out-of-head imaging, I recently spoke to Ito-san about possible purchasing one of his IEMs as a spatial reference. I remember his IEMs being particularly stellar when it came to stage expansion; like, outstandingly so. I wanted to see if that remains true today, and possibly have it in hand to compare against if I ever do get a chance to give the bird a try. :wink:
So lucky man! I’d love to meet the sensei someday! I’m very curious to hear his new rendition of the KL-Ref. I’ve heard that the vocals on those are just something else.

I wonder how much his insane designs are gonna be. 🤔

Mar 5, 2021 at 12:35 AM Post #28,407 of 39,414

You are also spot on target, “value” is a personal thing, and what we value changes with time. When I had my gigantic Soundlab Speakers and Krell Monoblocks, I was younger, not retired, now I'm an old fart building a house on a golf course, so my money pays for appliances!

Mar 5, 2021 at 12:37 AM Post #28,408 of 39,414
You are also spot on target, “value” is a personal thing, and what we value changes with time. When I had my gigantic Soundlab Speakers and Krell Monoblocks, I was younger, not retired, now I'm an old fart building a house on a golf course, so my money pays for appliances!
If you still have the 2 channel system, a soundroom overlooking a golf course would be amazing in your house :thumbsup:

Mar 5, 2021 at 4:16 AM Post #28,409 of 39,414
So lucky man! I’d love to meet the sensei someday! I’m very curious to hear his new rendition of the KL-Ref. I’ve heard that the vocals on those are just something else.

I wonder how much his insane designs are gonna be. 🤔
Yeah, I was actually surprised by how young and unassuming he was. By the time we actually did the interview, he seemed more nervous than I was. :D By then, I had no energy for nerves left after running to-and-from train platforms trying to make my way to his office. So, I've always viewed that "getting lost" bit of the story as a real blessing in disguise.

I've talked to him about getting the new REF, and he told me he's busy handling backorders at the moment. He expects to re-open sales (with brand-new designs too) around June or July. And, yeah, I've been following all of his tinkering on Twitter. He has some absolutely gorgeous designs in the works that I hope find their way to market soon. :wink:

Mar 5, 2021 at 4:37 AM Post #28,410 of 39,414
Yeah, I was actually surprised by how young and unassuming he was. By the time we actually did the interview, he seemed more nervous than I was. :D By then, I had no energy for nerves left after running to-and-from train platforms trying to make my way to his office. So, I've always viewed that "getting lost" bit of the story as a real blessing in disguise.

I've talked to him about getting the new REF, and he told me he's busy handling backorders at the moment. He expects to re-open sales (with brand-new designs too) around June or July. And, yeah, I've been following all of his tinkering on Twitter. He has some absolutely gorgeous designs in the works that I hope find their way to market soon. :wink:
More time for me to save up 😂

Honestly tho, I’m actually thankful for these delays. They help my shallow pockets. I’m still recovering from my Wraith purchase, and have quite a bit of time until the Final x DITA S.K comes in. So I’m really thinking about grabbing the FitEar MH335DWSR on the B&S. But the main thing is, Idk which resheller would be the best choice for FitEar. As I understand they do filled acrylic for their shells. Do you have any experience or know any one that do or have gotten a FitEar reshell done well?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back