flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Mar 4, 2021 at 4:31 PM Post #28,366 of 39,419
Speaking of Urushi-inspired faceplates, have you, by any chance, seen Kumitate Lab's Raden designs?

tumblr_ozsn0fx06c1uufdzno1_1280.jpg
EDxexn8VUAAQ15Q.jpg
EcDHaXgUYAEl8v2.jpg
G0A0206-2.jpg
CvTGB3WUsAUqAiO.jpg

They're inspired wholly by the traditional Japanese art form, and they can take Ito-san literal years to finish. Even I probably don't have that amount of patience for a CIEM. But, dang, I'd be lying if I said I didn't want a set of those. :wink:
Yup! Been a fan of Kumitate for a while. I do wish they are easier to obtain tho. They’re just stunning! You interviewed him before right?

Mar 4, 2021 at 4:39 PM Post #28,367 of 39,419
More time with the birds (did I mention that I bought these blind after talking to Twister and toaster?)..

It sounds better out of my paw s1 than my wm1z and m8. I might be crazy. Lol....

W2 is coming soon too. Can’t wait to try that out.

I think the bird likes reference/analytical sources. The warm ness of my honey h1, wm1z, and m8 throw it off. I Might just need some adjustment.. but it is what it is.

Mar 4, 2021 at 4:46 PM Post #28,368 of 39,419
d

That will depend on the person. When I was auditioning the i4, I was comparing it to the Fourte. I liked both, but the i4 was not separating. The Traillii separates itself from the Fourte. Just my opinion, and just one hour or so total for that comparison. Owning them could be different.

I remember I did a comparison between my i4 and a pair of Fourte at Tokyo’s e-earphones back in 2018, and I like the i4 much more. Fourte’s treble is just too hot for my treble sensitive ears. I did try to use foam tips and EQ, but I still couldn’t enjoy the treble. And just my opinion of course.

Mar 4, 2021 at 4:47 PM Post #28,369 of 39,419
More time with the birds (did I mention that I bought these blind after talking to Twister and toaster?)..

It sounds better out of my paw s1 than my wm1z and m8. I might be crazy. Lol....

I think the bird likes reference/analytical sources. The warm ness of my honey h1, wm1z, and m8 throw it off. I Might just need some adjustment.. but it is what it is.
I’ve been following the talk about the birds - more out of amusement as though I probably could afford them, I can’t justify them!

Anyway, do I detect, dare I say, a chink in the mythical armour?

Mar 4, 2021 at 4:52 PM Post #28,370 of 39,419
I’ve been following the talk about the birds - more out of amusement as though I probably could afford them, I can’t justify them!

Anyway, do I detect, dare I say, a chink in the mythical armour?

I think it’s more of a plus than anything. I’d rather sell my DAPs if I don’t need them. I’m not much of a dap person, my iPhone can play DSD if I need it. There’s an app called scylla for that purpose.

:) if a simple paw s1 can crush everything else I own with this pairing ... it’s pretty fantastic imo

Mar 4, 2021 at 4:55 PM Post #28,371 of 39,419
I think it’s more of a plus than anything. I’d rather sell my DAPs if I don’t need them. I’m not much of a dap person, my iPhone can play DSD if I need it. There’s an app called scylla for that purpose.

:) if a simple paw s1 can crush everything else I own with this pairing ... it’s pretty fantastic imo
Hehe, fair point! The perfect dongle + phone is a sort of holy grail. I’m excited to see the reviews of the W2 from folk here!

Mar 4, 2021 at 5:24 PM Post #28,372 of 39,419

I’m pretty sure it’s the warmth that you’re noticing out of those DAPs. Especially with the M8, as it seems that’s even a warmer sounding DAP than the 1Z.

On a side note, you can gift me your 1Z if you’re thinking of letting it go for a more neutral source 😉

Mar 4, 2021 at 5:30 PM Post #28,373 of 39,419
I’m pretty sure it’s the warmth that you’re noticing out of those DAPs. Especially with the M8, as it seems that’s even a warmer sounding DAP than the 1Z.

On a side note, you can gift me your 1Z if you’re thinking of letting it go for a more neutral source 😉

I don’t think I’ll ever sell 1Z :wink: it was a pain in the ass to find the Midas (dignis) case for it, and it sounds great with my Lcdi4.

Nice try though :wink: lmao

I will sell the m8 though unless my dad wants it, gifting him elysium and code 51 too lol.. lucky guy

Mar 4, 2021 at 5:41 PM Post #28,375 of 39,419
go and get it! If you like APP’s sound quality (which I wholeheartedly agree that it’s underrated), you’d love the APM. The sound is immersive, great bass (though not as well controlled as high end headphones), very nice mids, and good quality treble. Overall a balanced presentation with a slight bump on bass. ANC is even much better than APP, transparency mode is sooo natural, you won’t notice the difference between wearing and not wearing them. And nowadays, with Apple Digital Master songs/albums, the mastering quality has been very much improved for AAC files, they sound really good on APM. I love them so much, totally hassle free, no wires, switch between total isolation and transparency with a simple press of a button, very enjoyable sound sig, and spatial audio as a bonus when watching movies. As usual, YMMV :wink:
Very tempting! I am not a big fan of the "bra" case but I am sure there are good third-party cases. Thanks for the excellent insights :)

Mar 4, 2021 at 5:51 PM Post #28,376 of 39,419
I don’t think I’ll ever sell 1Z :wink: it was a pain in the ass to find the Midas (dignis) case for it, and it sounds great with my Lcdi4.

Nice try though :wink: lmao

I will sell the m8 though unless my dad wants it, gifting him elysium and code 51 too lol.. lucky guy
Can I be your dad too? I think I’m old enough 😂

Your dad’s lucky tho! I want that Ely and Code 51.

Mar 4, 2021 at 6:34 PM Post #28,379 of 39,419
Oddly enough a vast/deep stage engages me with the music even more, especially when the vocals are as detailed and (to my ears) natural as Fourte's. I'm not a fan of anything too congested or intimate, unless it's girl/guitar music, in which case it makes sense. Otherwise I want my music to breeeeathe.

Will be taking copious notes.
I hear you. Soundstage comes in a bit with me, but it is just not the be all and end all to me. I expect it to be there to what I will call a fairly good degree, but I never hear the wrap-a-round stages, etc. others sometimes mention. I am more into what is in the center sounds like it is in the center and the same for right and left and how far sometimes. I'll let you all provide the details beyond that. Tks.

Mar 4, 2021 at 6:36 PM Post #28,380 of 39,419
Lol sorry my pops sacrificed too much I gotta pay him back for the heartache I caused him 😂😂
I get you man! I try to do the same for my dad 😂

I’m too much of a failure for my parents lmao

How much you letting go of the Code 51?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back