flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Mar 4, 2021 at 2:57 PM Post #28,351 of 39,419
Agreed, somehow it fell through the grid (at least here on head-fi) and never reappeared. Now, a few months after release, they seem like a great deal on the market for 2k. But for sure, this bird needs serious power to go highest in the sky.
IMG_3481.jpeg
For me the bird can be well powered by my Smartphone and a W1 from L&P and i run only on 60% volume and it is really loud. On the AMP (a 1000W AMP) with Headphone output it is no different. so no problem with power on the bird - it's a very small bird - can live on one worm per day.

You rebuild the Eiffel Tower at home ? What kind of shelf is that ? Earthquake proof suspension on each side - VERY IMPRESSIVE indeed. and good electronics.

Mar 4, 2021 at 2:57 PM Post #28,352 of 39,419
what do you use for subways? i have airpod pros
Airpod pros for subways and the gym! I think they're really underrated honestly. Nice dynamics, balanced sound, solid imaging. I know the ANC enhances the "seal-equivalent" but it really helps me get immersed into the music.

So much so, I dare say I am semi-interested in the Airpod MAX :thinking:

Mar 4, 2021 at 3:00 PM Post #28,353 of 39,419
To each his own. I don't live in a country where public transport is much of an option (I drive everywhere). And I wouldn't take my good IEMs out in public. But then I can't afford to replace them, so I guess there's that.

As for portability, for me that means around the house, not tethered to a desk. I also sold all my desktop gear because the portable gear eventually bested it for sound quality (let alone flexibility). But again, that's just me.

As for taking IEMs like Trailli (or any TOTLs) on public transport, safety aside, aren't most of the gains you make in SQ just about lost to ambient noise?
Eh, I actually now roll my ears about my home Hifi system - no more needed - as you said. Sad to put it up for sale though. For music i want to listen and not being distracted with public around me, so sad to put a bird into street noise - better quiet on the Sofa, relaxed and full attention - or on a long journey trip - high class train or Airplane - that goes also for me - but not in car (danger !!!) and not in distracting environments.

Mar 4, 2021 at 3:02 PM Post #28,354 of 39,419
I like the A8000 with the OSLO cable better than the stock SPC cable, but have also had good luck with the 8-wire silver ALO cable, and a 4-wire Norne silver cable as well. This all with the L&P P6Pro. Using the PAW6000 does not yeild the same results, as it is already on the sry/neutral side (but it does quite wonderfully with Legend X, Vega 2020.. which benefit from/can 'withstand' some control and neutrality. I think the P6Pro has the same level of resolution, but is more natural sounding than the PAW to my ears.

What puzzles me is that Classical music is usually regarded as the most difficult to get right - and the best genre to reveal bright, harsh, edgy, sibilant, or otherwise un-natural sound, as it is recorded using real acoustic instruments, which we can all hear IRL.

I would argue that any component that gets Classical right, just IS right - and if it makes your tunes sound bad--guess what-they actually sound bad and you want filters to tame it to your specific taste!-- That's cool, but a very different situation than blaming the messenger....

I love the A8000, even though it is not my go-to 'signature'. It is resolving without sounding 'detailed', it's not a clean window - it's an open doorway.... I am also curious what the Dita collaboration will sound like - I have one on reserve. (I have a Dita Answer now, and it is good, and was great for its time, but the A8000 is just better!)
Thanks! I will experiment a little over the next few days and see what I come up with. I paired Code 51 earlier and while it was very nice, it was also rather unforgiving. The Oslo cable sounded more promising, but again with the LPGT a touch unforgiving. Tomorrow I will pair the M8.
That’s exactly how the A8000 is. They went for an overall technical and analytical tuning. They wanted to somewhat “imitate” the speed and technicalities of EST. When I was listening to it, it reminded me a lot of the KSE with the A8000 having a touch better bass presence.

If you want a bit more warmth (I’m guessing the LPGT is more on the neutral side? I only usually listen to neutral sources so they won’t colour the IEMs tuning when I “test” and just fine tune it later on if I need to.) Then the M8 might give that. But I’m not sure how much that would affect the overall performance.

And the Final x DITA S.K is gonna be exactly what you’re looking for lol but according to impressions from Final’s launch and listening events in Japan where they had both the DITA Dream XLS and the Final A8000 alongside the S.K to be able to compare.

EDC004AB-8F09-4006-AE82-764D61235C68.jpeg

They all seem to agree that the S.K is definitely warmer and more musical. But it definitely isn’t as technical as the A8000. So I guess sacrifices had to be made for a more musical rendition. But I’m all for it 😂

Because just look at them!!! They’re so beautiful 🤩

95E52785-7750-44CD-A463-B6E18971A04B.jpeg

37E98FEC-EB6C-4E9B-875B-0BCA5CFFA4BF.jpeg

9755200F-73C8-48E6-ABDC-EFDE96940591.jpeg
Yeah, the LPGT is neutral and very revealing. The M8 is much smoother with an outstanding bass response, so will definitely try it.

Darn, those look gorgeous! :astonished: I can see how it will be a tradeoff and I do really like what the A8000 offer, as it is so unique. So while I experiment, I don’t really want to change too much about them either.

Mar 4, 2021 at 3:07 PM Post #28,355 of 39,419
Lived in Asia for more than a decade and beg to to differ. I had some rough encounters in Phnom Penh, plus some very touchy moments in BBK, Manila and Jakarta. Let's not even talk about Kabul and Islamabad. I do not think that Asian cities in general are safe. May be East Asian cities and some other few places like Singapore?
I can only support Hoegaardener70. I have famil
Yes, you’re right! I shouldn’t say Asia globally. Especially, Asia is pretty vast. Let’s say that most of the safest cities are probably in Asia, and more specifically in China then... :beyersmile:
I can concur with Junmoe62. I have family in Shanghai and travelled for more than 25 years already in China - in NO place EVER i felt in danger that somebody may try to steal something from me. Shanghai and Beijing and top safe for Westerners - you really can sleep under the bridge at midnight and nobody would touch you. Also because this burglar would be seriously punished - AND FOUND. Chinese cities are a lot more safe than ANY European city and I don't even want to mention US cities like New York, Washington or SF. I always felt somehow uncomfortable - and there was always this underlying feeling of somebody watching you to see if you are a good target. In Europe: Paris is anyway notoriously dangerous, Madrid not much better, London - it depends where, German cities are kind of O.K. although deteriorating.
So sorry to say - and some may not like it - fact is - for a western person - China is a safe place and very comfortable in that respect.

Mar 4, 2021 at 3:07 PM Post #28,356 of 39,419
Lived in Asia for more than a decade and beg to to differ. I had some rough encounters in Phnom Penh, plus some very touchy moments in BBK, Manila and Jakarta. Let's not even talk about Kabul and Islamabad. I do not think that Asian cities in general are safe. May be East Asian cities and some other few places like Singapore?
Yeah, you can't really compare Jakarta and Singapore when it comes to safety. :D When you're out on the street in Jakarta, you basically have to clutch onto all of your loose possessions. Whereas, in Singapore, you can leave your designer handbag at a coffee shop table while you wait for your order at the pick-up bar without a worry in the world.

That’s exactly how the A8000 is. They went for an overall technical and analytical tuning. They wanted to somewhat “imitate” the speed and technicalities of EST. When I was listening to it, it reminded me a lot of the KSE with the A8000 having a touch better bass presence.

If you want a bit more warmth (I’m guessing the LPGT is more on the neutral side? I only usually listen to neutral sources so they won’t colour the IEMs tuning when I “test” and just fine tune it later on if I need to.) Then the M8 might give that. But I’m not sure how much that would affect the overall performance.

And the Final x DITA S.K is gonna be exactly what you’re looking for lol but according to impressions from Final’s launch and listening events in Japan where they had both the DITA Dream XLS and the Final A8000 alongside the S.K to be able to compare.

EDC004AB-8F09-4006-AE82-764D61235C68.jpeg

They all seem to agree that the S.K is definitely warmer and more musical. But it definitely isn’t as technical as the A8000. So I guess sacrifices had to be made for a more musical rendition. But I’m all for it 😂

Because just look at them!!! They’re so beautiful 🤩

95E52785-7750-44CD-A463-B6E18971A04B.jpeg

37E98FEC-EB6C-4E9B-875B-0BCA5CFFA4BF.jpeg

9755200F-73C8-48E6-ABDC-EFDE96940591.jpeg
Ooh, a warmer, less analytical A8000, you say. Now, that sounds pretty interesting. :wink:

Mar 4, 2021 at 3:10 PM Post #28,357 of 39,419
why can't the bird have such faceplates ? WHY ???????
It’s a limited edition product and an insane collaboration. So I think they wanted to go all out. If you check my Head Gear (LINK) posting about it there’s more details on there about the finish. It’s just absolutely stunning.

But yeah, they totally had different priorities. Hyla side usually had the more “eye catching” designs (ex. Nerva-X) while Oriolus side was more on the “simple” side of things. That’s why I’m honestly still surprised Cyras didn’t release the Traillii in the Hyla brand.

Mar 4, 2021 at 3:20 PM Post #28,358 of 39,419
Yeah, you can't really compare Jakarta and Singapore when it comes to safety. :D When you're out on the street in Jakarta, you basically have to clutch onto all of your loose possessions. Whereas, in Singapore, you can leave your designer handbag at a coffee shop table while you wait for your order at the pick-up bar without a worry in the world.

Ooh, a warmer, less analytical A8000, you say. Now, that sounds pretty interesting. :wink:
I could say the same thing about Manila 😂 I haven’t been back home in 6 years but I don’t think it’s any safer 😆

And yeah man! I’m so excited about it. One more month of waiting!

Mar 4, 2021 at 3:25 PM Post #28,359 of 39,419
It’s a limited edition product and an insane collaboration. So I think they wanted to go all out. If you check my Head Gear (LINK) posting about it there’s more details on there about the finish. It’s just absolutely stunning.

But yeah, they totally had different priorities. Hyla side usually had the more “eye catching” designs (ex. Nerva-X) while Oriolus side was more on the “simple” side of things. That’s why I’m honestly still surprised Cyras didn’t release the Traillii in the Hyla brand.
looked it up - yes, stunning - i cry - bird has rather dull feathers... genius is where superior technic meets superior design - MI has such products, Huawei GT 2 pro watch is such an item and so forth... we live with (as somebody stated) liver coloured birds... - I like it less and less day by day - luckily it still sings perfect otherwise it could become a roasted bird... especially when i see photos of other products that have amazing design...

Mar 4, 2021 at 3:31 PM Post #28,360 of 39,419
Thanks! I will experiment a little over the next few days and see what I come up with. I paired Code 51 earlier and while it was very nice, it was also rather unforgiving. The Oslo cable sounded more promising, but again with the LPGT a touch unforgiving. Tomorrow I will pair the M8.

Yeah, the LPGT is neutral and very revealing. The M8 is much smoother with an outstanding bass response, so will definitely try it.

Darn, those look gorgeous! :astonished: I can see how it will be a tradeoff and I do really like what the A8000 offer, as it is so unique. So while I experiment, I don’t really want to change too much about them either.

They’re just gorgeous aren’t they? I’m so excited to take photos. They’re gonna be so much fun to photograph.

I might even end up getting or borrowing a WM1Z for the shoot. And speaking of the 1Z. That was apparently the overall DAP choice for the S.K as they complement each other. And hey, they look good together 😂

Mar 4, 2021 at 3:38 PM Post #28,361 of 39,419
looked it up - yes, stunning - i cry - bird has rather dull feathers... genius is where superior technic meets superior design - MI has such products, Huawei GT 2 pro watch is such an item and so forth... we live with (as somebody stated) liver coloured birds... - I like it less and less day by day - luckily it still sings perfect otherwise it could become a roasted bird... especially when i see photos of other products that have amazing design...
Hhmmm roasted bird liver...🤔🤔🤔

I just had to 😂

Hopefully I’ll get to demo the bird soon. I also kinda wanna do a blind test with it alongside all of the other IEMs that are quite popular nowadays and see if I can make an overall unbiased opinion. And if I can even actually tell them apart and guess which is which. Especially if I can pinpoint which one the bird would be.

Mar 4, 2021 at 3:40 PM Post #28,362 of 39,419
They’re just gorgeous aren’t they? I’m so excited to take photos. They’re gonna be so much fun to photograph.

I might even end up getting or borrowing a WM1Z for the shoot. And speaking of the 1Z. That was apparently the overall DAP choice for the S.K as they complement each other. And hey, they look good together 😂
Speaking of Urushi-inspired faceplates, have you, by any chance, seen Kumitate Lab's Raden designs?

tumblr_ozsn0fx06c1uufdzno1_1280.jpg
EDxexn8VUAAQ15Q.jpg
EcDHaXgUYAEl8v2.jpg
G0A0206-2.jpg
CvTGB3WUsAUqAiO.jpg

They're inspired wholly by the traditional Japanese art form, and they can take Ito-san literal years to finish. Even I probably don't have that amount of patience for a CIEM. But, dang, I'd be lying if I said I didn't want a set of those. :wink:

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2021 at 3:40 PM Post #28,363 of 39,419
Airpod pros for subways and the gym! I think they're really underrated honestly. Nice dynamics, balanced sound, solid imaging. I know the ANC enhances the "seal-equivalent" but it really helps me get immersed into the music.

Airpod Pro, for me, is a hidden gem in the audiophile community. They check all the boxes for me on convenience, simplicity, functionality, and sound.

They stay in my ears really well, even when working out, and the noise cancellatiom definitely helps provide the perception of a perfect seal.

Plus, for work, I can wear them for hours comfortably.

Mar 4, 2021 at 4:20 PM Post #28,364 of 39,419
go and get it! If you like APP’s sound quality (which I wholeheartedly agree that it’s underrated), you’d love the APM. The sound is immersive, great bass (though not as well controlled as high end headphones), very nice mids, and good quality treble. Overall a balanced presentation with a slight bump on bass. ANC is even much better than APP, transparency mode is sooo natural, you won’t notice the difference between wearing and not wearing them. And nowadays, with Apple Digital Master songs/albums, the mastering quality has been very much improved for AAC files, they sound really good on APM. I love them so much, totally hassle free, no wires, switch between total isolation and transparency with a simple press of a button, very enjoyable sound sig, and spatial audio as a bonus when watching movies. As usual, YMMV :wink:

Mar 4, 2021 at 4:27 PM Post #28,365 of 39,419
Yes, you’re right! I shouldn’t say Asia globally. Especially, Asia is pretty vast. Let’s say that most of the safest cities are probably in Asia, and more specifically in China then... :beyersmile:
I call that part of Asia, East Asia, Sinosphere, or countries influenced by Confucianism.
I can only support Hoegaardener70. I have famil

I can concur with Junmoe62. I have family in Shanghai and travelled for more than 25 years already in China - in NO place EVER i felt in danger that somebody may try to steal something from me. Shanghai and Beijing and top safe for Westerners - you really can sleep under the bridge at midnight and nobody would touch you. Also because this burglar would be seriously punished - AND FOUND. Chinese cities are a lot more safe than ANY European city and I don't even want to mention US cities like New York, Washington or SF. I always felt somehow uncomfortable - and there was always this underlying feeling of somebody watching you to see if you are a good target. In Europe: Paris is anyway notoriously dangerous, Madrid not much better, London - it depends where, German cities are kind of O.K. although deteriorating.
So sorry to say - and some may not like it - fact is - for a western person - China is a safe place and very comfortable in that respect.
I had been 2 times in China, mostly in Shanghai and Zhejiang-Wenzhou, and what surprised me the most was that I couldn't see any homeless people begging, sleeping around, or "ambushing" at the door of the supermarkets. Everyone seemed like either chilling or busy doing something; even the poor people that I have seen had a busy life (be it working in a little food stall or cleaning the streets).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back