flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Dec 7, 2020 at 6:40 PM Post #25,636 of 39,414
yeah you seem a good person , and even though you seem 'loaded' you don't seem to have the arrogant PoS mentality that many people with money have

In my experience, and I don't want to start anything or go into some off-topic tangent here, arrogance knows no socioeconomic boundaries. I've met arrogant people from the homeless level to the tens of millions level and humble, good natured individuals from both tiers as well; and about in the same proportions. People turn out bad, or what I call failed (or mostly failed) people, for many causes and reasons, many of which are difficult to impossible to trace the causality or source of and often are not in their power to fully control (if at all) anyway.

*jumps off soapbox, kicks it aside embarrassingly, and shuffles off into the dark as people look at each other in bewilderment and stare after him*

Dec 7, 2020 at 6:52 PM Post #25,637 of 39,414
In my experience, and I don't want to start anything or go into some off-topic tangent here, arrogance knows no socioeconomic boundaries. I've met arrogant people from the homeless level to the tens of millions level and humble, good natured individuals from both tiers as well; and about in the same proportions. People turn out bad, or what I call failed (or mostly failed) people, for many causes and reasons, many of which are difficult to impossible to trace the causality or source of and often are not in their power to fully control (if at all) anyway.

*jumps off soapbox, kicks it aside embarrassingly, and shuffles off into the dark as people look at each other in bewilderment and stare after him*
The solution is obviously to try more headphones.

Dec 7, 2020 at 6:59 PM Post #25,638 of 39,414
Also, I've already dropped the left monitor of my Odin twice since I got this. Ear to waist height (particle board counter) both times. I swear I'm never taking it out of the house.....

Normally I wouldnt even sweat with the likes of MEST or DMagic. Could be the price tag, or the though of dinging that Bifrost but kinda stomach wrenching. I'm sure Empire builds their flagships solid considering I've done worse to my Zeus back in the day and nothing happened.

Dec 7, 2020 at 7:11 PM Post #25,639 of 39,414
I hate to re-quote all of the comments below and muddy up the thread, but I just wanted to make sure I gave them all the sufficient recognition they deserve, since they have all helped clarify for me the differences between the Solaris 2020 and Odin immensely.

So thanks to all the below for your input! (and sorry if I missed any responses in these re-quotes)

And sorry it took me a bit for even this inadequate response, but this thread moves fast and...well...I don't! (I'm not on here as often as others).

For the time being, I'm going to just settle in getting to know my new MEST and comparing and contrasting it with the Solaris 2020 and then see where to go from there. But the Odin is definitely on my radar, even more than before.

Looking at a couple of the graphs available of the Solaris 2020 online, as well as some of the reviews, I don't know if it's that comparable to the Odin in terms of tone. It looks like it has an almost-JH-like midrange; slightly chesty and less brass-y or vibrant. Whereas, the Odin's light, zesty, melodic, almost-convexly-shaped upper-midrange is the draw of its signature. It also seems to have a rising treble towards 10kHz, while the Odin's sit a hair behind its midrange. Considering how linear the Odin's graph looks compared to the Solaris 2020's (aside from its slight lower-midrange dip), then it may indeed be what you're looking for. Then, again, I haven't heard the Solaris 2020 myself, so that's all I have to go by.
Yeah, I don’t think Odin and Solaris 2020 sound all that similar either. The treble on Solaris sounds more forward and it’s got a thicker lower midrange. The bass is pretty different too. Solaris has a more prominent mid bass, whereas Odin sounds a bit more linear between sub and mid bass to my ears.

Both great in their own way, but different presentations imho :)

Yes, I just feel the Odin has a much greater technical performance than Solaris (any iteration) and the bass is ridiculously well done. The Solaris 2020 isn't bad at all with the right pairing but on certain sources I felt the upper bass and lower mids clashed a bit. Example... The Solaris 2020 on Lotoo S1 was primo, I could not say the same about the Solaris 2020 though paired with a Fiio M11 Pro. Moral of the story... Solaris 2020 no like Fiio M11 Pro. I can't hate on the Solaris though, it's a good set and easy to enjoy. Also tuning an IEM in a metal housing is a different animal.

If it's any consolation, I heard the Homonculus and wanted to throw it into a furnace. Thankfully we don't have any furnaces in Florida.

As someone who has and still listens to both the Solaris and the Odin, while they certainly have some not-insignificant differences in their actual sound signatures, I do find them to be quite similar in their overall presentation. What I mean by this (since saying sound signatures are different but presentations are similar probably sounds somewhat nonsensical) is that, as someone who had and loved the Solaris first (had the OG and now the 2020) and then bought an Odin, many of the qualities that are most appealing to me about the Solaris are also areas in which I find the Odin to particularly shine. I always really enjoyed the Solaris’ adaptability as an all-rounder—it presents many genres very well and has a pretty balanced signature. It is not necessarily the best in any one area, but holds its own very well in most aspects. The Odin does this but ratchets it up several notches such that it is safe to say that it ranks among the very best in a number of technical areas without any significant deficiencies (signature personal preferences aside).

I love how Solaris’ bass, while only slightly elevated, is able to deliver exceptionally impactful, thumping bass when called for. Odin does this even better, delivering deeeeep, exceptionally richly textured, impactful bass, even though its bass is probably less elevated relative to the rest of its signature than it is on Solaris. The effect of this on both is that (at least for me) you have bass that is not hugely elevated but still provides satisfying impact and thump when called for. I very much enjoy the midrange presentations on both, which, though different, are fairly forward and lean more toward the upper mids. The Solaris mids are a little thicker with a little more warmth while the Odins are more lithe, light footed, resolving, and clear. Both excel in imaging and layering with the Solaris being known for its holographic presentation and the Odin having exceptional depth and width to its soundstage. I enjoy the treble on both, which is, for me, never harsh or sibilant, realistic airiness, and good but not overemphasized sparkle. The Odin again has a lot more detail, and it’s does treble differently, but the features I really appreciate in the Solaris, the Odin also excels at.

So I guess my point is that while the two are certainly different in the fine details of their signatures, the things that I most appreciate in the Solaris are also things the Odin excels at.

Dec 7, 2020 at 8:45 PM Post #25,640 of 39,414

I was very tempted to say pretty much the same thing. Only thing I’ll add is that money, like age, and to a degree senility, merely amplifies what’s there to begin with. Selfish, arrogant, greedy people only become worse the richer they get. Likewise, generous, kind, humble people also become more so, the richer they get.

*oops, falls off of soapbox. I guess I should never have climbed on it.

Dec 7, 2020 at 11:02 PM Post #25,641 of 39,414
please accept my slow clap for this poetry.

Dec 8, 2020 at 1:20 AM Post #25,642 of 39,414
Also, I've already dropped the left monitor of my Odin twice since I got this. Ear to waist height (particle board counter) both times. I swear I'm never taking it out of the house.....

Normally I wouldnt even sweat with the likes of MEST or DMagic. Could be the price tag, or the though of dinging that Bifrost but kinda stomach wrenching. I'm sure Empire builds their flagships solid considering I've done worse to my Zeus back in the day and nothing happened.

happened to me with zeus , only times when i feel time freezing and seeing the fall in slo-mo and pure dread until i put them back in my ears and hear everything fine with them

phew.

Dec 8, 2020 at 1:23 AM Post #25,643 of 39,414
happened to me with zeus , only times when i feel time freezing and seeing the fall in slo-mo and pure dread until i put them back in my ears and hear everything fine with them

phew.
It's the one reason acrylic shells on $2k+ IEMs gives me serious pause.

Dec 8, 2020 at 1:28 AM Post #25,644 of 39,414
I was very tempted to say pretty much the same thing. Only thing I’ll add is that money, like age, and to a degree senility, merely amplifies what’s there to begin with. Selfish, arrogant, greedy people only become worse the richer they get. Likewise, generous, kind, humble people also become more so, the richer they get.

*oops, falls off of soapbox. I guess I should never have climbed on it.
I never understand why it is so difficult for people to just stay humble. Look at me... I am the supreme example of a humble person. I am perfect in every way. I am a genius, devilishly handsome and incredibly successful in life, yet I stay humble and am always kind to other people when I correct their stupidity because I know they are simply unable to understand the world at my level. It just shows what a wonderfully nice and considerate guy I am...
[Bursts into laughter] Okay, here's a cute puppy instead:
IMG_1515.JPG

Dec 8, 2020 at 1:44 AM Post #25,645 of 39,414
barnie is the epitome of 'let me take all your depression human, just squeeeeeeeeeze me'

he is adorable.

Dec 8, 2020 at 2:11 AM Post #25,647 of 39,414

phew.
Clunked it again tip swapping probably has to do with the extra length of the pigtail I'm using atm.

It's the one reason acrylic shells on $2k+ IEMs gives me serious pause.
That's quite true. But metal shells and wear arn't exactly the best fit either and end being too heavy causing fit issues. Acrylics tend to stat there when not inserted in yours. My u12t actually fell off just from the weight.

Acrylics probably are chosen to do with reducing the weight and forces during an impact.

At least Odin is still spotless. Can't wait till when I have a properly 4.4 terminated cable for it.

Dec 8, 2020 at 2:13 AM Post #25,648 of 39,414
barnie is the epitome of 'let me take all your depression human, just squeeeeeeeeeze me'

he is adorable.
He is getting really mellow now and sometimes when I am working in the kitchen comes up and sits behind me, pushing himself into my legs to signal he wants to be close.
I'll see your cute puppy and raise you my kitten who thinks IEM cables are a toy.
So cute! I have all my audio gear locked away so Barnie can't get at it. He likes anything with contrasting colours, from Spongebob to the cable on my Dream XLS. :sweat_smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back