flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Dec 8, 2020 at 2:58 AM Post #25,652 of 39,414
Looks like MMR has an announcement to make on the 15th.

CIEM is tagged, Homunculus tagged but not Thummim. Whatever happened to Gae Bolg and Balmung? Don't see them on the site.
They have a really cool release lined up, I'll be allowed to share pics in a few days :)

Dec 8, 2020 at 2:58 AM Post #25,653 of 39,414
He is getting really mellow now and sometimes when I am working in the kitchen comes up and sits behind me, pushing himself into my legs to signal he wants to be close.

So cute! I have all my audio gear locked away so Barnie can't get at it. He likes anything with contrasting colours, from Spongebob to the cable on my Dream XLS. :sweat_smile:

Aww, that's sweet. Luna's favourite trick is to wait until I am in the middle of doing something really important then plonk herself squarely on my keyboard and demand attention. Probably explains why none of my posts make sepapfhe in dusng#*#jekc

Attachments

• 20201203_105124.jpg
    20201203_105124.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Dec 8, 2020 at 3:17 AM Post #25,654 of 39,414
Looks like MMR has an announcement to make on the 15th.

CIEM is tagged, Homunculus tagged but not Thummim. Whatever happened to Gae Bolg and Balmung? Don't see them on the site.

A few have already written brief impressions of it on the MMR thread. I'll have mine (with a teaser shot) coming very soon. :wink:

Dec 8, 2020 at 5:02 AM Post #25,655 of 39,414
A few have already written brief impressions of it on the MMR thread. I'll have mine (with a teaser shot) coming very soon. :wink:

I don’t know which one to look forward to, your brief impressions or the teaser shot :wink:

Dec 8, 2020 at 11:10 AM Post #25,657 of 39,414
trade you triton for stormbreaker hahaha
That would actually work out, but I already have a seller lined up to offset the cost of a new one. I prefer the haxagonal aesthetic on the PW hardware as well.

I got mine reterminated to 4.4mm by PW Audio. Was cheap and quick ($25pp and 1 week) :)
You're in the down under right? Shipping there seems pretty reliable. Getting stuff shipped to and from Canada is either expensive, takes forever or both.

Don't have any 2 pin cables I can slap on the Odin for the time being.

Dec 9, 2020 at 11:48 AM Post #25,658 of 39,414
3E0FD50C-83CD-4EEE-A864-1E460DFBED40.jpeg

My birthday gifts to myself, the qdc VX and the AK SA700 dap. The bass performance of the VX is more satisfying than the others in my collection (Odin, A8000, Luna). Very happy, indeed! 👍

Dec 9, 2020 at 12:07 PM Post #25,659 of 39,414

My birthday gifts to myself, the qdc VX and the AK SA700 dap. The bass performance of the VX is more satisfying than the others in my collection (Odin, A8000, Luna). Very happy, indeed! 👍
Nice combo, enjoy!

Very interesting-what do you prefer about the Anole VX bass (BA) versus Odin’s and A8000 DD’s? Can’t speak for the latter but I thought Odin’s bass was extremely fast, tight and precise with still the deep typical DD extension, things that some DDs can struggle on. Is it the warmth in the midbass?

Dec 9, 2020 at 12:50 PM Post #25,660 of 39,414
3E0FD50C-83CD-4EEE-A864-1E460DFBED40.jpeg

Happy Birthday 🎂! Enjoy!

Dec 9, 2020 at 1:11 PM Post #25,661 of 39,414
Nice combo, enjoy!

Very interesting-what do you prefer about the Anole VX bass (BA) versus Odin’s and A8000 DD’s? Can’t speak for the latter but I thought Odin’s bass was extremely fast, tight and precise with still the deep typical DD extension, things that some DDs can struggle on. Is it the warmth in the midbass?

Yes, the mid-bass presence on the VX is more prominent, and I’m not using the switches. The Odin’s bass is fast sounding, but with some bass oriented music it doesn’t have the weight of the VX.

Also, I sense the soundstage is bigger and more atmospheric with the VX than my other IEMs. The VX certainly has a stellar reputation, and I’m glad I bought one to fill out my collection.

The next IEM on my list is the new DITA/final collaboration, the Shichiku Kangen which is scheduled for release in January.

Dec 9, 2020 at 1:14 PM Post #25,662 of 39,414
I should add that the Odin and VX were blind purchases whereas the A8000 and Luna I had reviewed before I bought them.

Dec 9, 2020 at 5:21 PM Post #25,663 of 39,414
Yes, the mid-bass presence on the VX is more prominent, and I’m not using the switches. The Odin’s bass is fast sounding, but with some bass oriented music it doesn’t have the weight of the VX.

Also, I sense the soundstage is bigger and more atmospheric with the VX than my other IEMs. The VX certainly has a stellar reputation, and I’m glad I bought one to fill out my collection.

The next IEM on my list is the new DITA/final collaboration, the Shichiku Kangen which is scheduled for release in January.
Any info on what the Dita/Final collaboration will be? Driver types, price range, TOTL, etc. Tks.

Dec 9, 2020 at 8:14 PM Post #25,664 of 39,414
Any info on what the Dita/Final collaboration will be? Driver types, price range, TOTL, etc. Tks.
There's no further details about it yet.

They'll announce more details on Dec 12th.

But since DITA is handling the driver. Looks like it'll be a single DD.

Dec 9, 2020 at 10:13 PM Post #25,665 of 39,414

No, no idea other than the “dawn of next year” as the release date. I’m in touch with Andrew at MusicTeck since he is a Dita dealer, so if I hear any other news, I’ll certainly report it.

I haven’t forgotten your request for a comparison between the VX and Odin. With a new dap and the VX, a whole lot of burning in has been going on here ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back