flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Dec 10, 2020 at 3:24 AM Post #25,666 of 39,414
Screen Shot 2020-12-10 at 3.17.32 AM.png

Looks like Vision Ears has a new limited edition model set for Japan.

It's specifically tuned for "Japanese Audiophiles" apparently.

It's in a hybrid config of a single DD, dual mid BA, and dual High BA.

Pretty interesting. It'll be limited to 50 units. It's available as a Uni and as a CIEM.

I kinda want it, but I've never blind bought anything before LMAO
I have no idea how their interpretation of a "Japanese Audiophile" sound is.
They did mention it having a well-rounded and deep low end while being softly warm(? lol), well detailed and forward mids, but the highlight of the MEISTER's sound seems to be the top end. It being "Vivid and very emotionally expressive". So I'm very intrigued...

It'll be released on the 11th.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that the limited "First Edition" comes with a special Effect Audio cable that's signed by the founders of VE.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2020 at 4:28 AM Post #25,667 of 39,414

Pretty interesting. It'll be limited to 50 units. It's available as a Uni and as a CIEM.

They did mention it having a well-rounded and deep low end while being softly warm(? lol), well detailed and forward mids, but the highlight of the MEISTER's sound seems to be the top end. It being "Vivid and very emotionally expressive". So I'm very intrigued...

EDIT: I forgot to mention that the limited "First Edition" comes with a special Effect Audio cable that's signed by the founders of VE.
I was always under the impression that the japanese sound tended to skew towards the brighter end of the spectrum, which seem to be at odds with the description you gave. Oh well guess VE know what they are doing.

Dec 10, 2020 at 4:37 AM Post #25,668 of 39,414

Interesting, isn’t this also the first time VE has done DD lows?

Dec 10, 2020 at 6:06 AM Post #25,669 of 39,414

Of course it comes out the only year I can’t go to Japan. :D

Interesting, isn’t this also the first time VE has done DD lows?

Technically, no. They had a hybrid called the VE1+2 right after they split with Compact Monitors, but I don’t believe it ended up making it into their main line-up; just a few universal demos out and about.

Dec 10, 2020 at 7:44 AM Post #25,670 of 39,414
Any info on what the Dita/Final collaboration will be? Driver types, price range, TOTL, etc. Tks.
They are based on the A8000 with DITA unleashing their expertise on the driver, adding some secret sauce and a custom version of the OSLO cable that looks really nice:
1607603963710.png

Talking about Vision Ears... VE5 back in the house! :grin: The guys at VE have very kindly loaned me the VE5 for my upcoming classical music series. I guess that means the pressure is on now.:sweat_smile:

Dec 10, 2020 at 12:11 PM Post #25,671 of 39,414
They are based on the A8000 with DITA unleashing their expertise on the driver, adding some secret sauce and a custom version of the OSLO cable that looks really nice:
1607603963710.png

Talking about Vision Ears... VE5 back in the house! :grin: The guys at VE have very kindly loaned me the VE5 for my upcoming classical music series. I guess that means the pressure is on now.:sweat_smile:

I haven’t seen this view. The Oslo cable, though, is really nice sounding, so I’m happy to read about its inclusion.

Frankly, when it comes to flagship models, manufacturers should adopt the interchangeable connectors a la Oslo, Dunu, and other such designs.

I wonder what the pricing will be on the Shichiku Kangen?

Dec 10, 2020 at 12:28 PM Post #25,672 of 39,414
I haven’t seen this view. The Oslo cable, though, is really nice sounding, so I’m happy to read about its inclusion.

Frankly, when it comes to flagship models, manufacturers should adopt the interchangeable connectors a la Oslo, Dunu, and other such designs.

I wonder what the pricing will be on the Shichiku Kangen?
I got the picture from DITA's Facebook and I expect they will keep sharing teasers for the next few weeks to torture us. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: No idea on pricing, but I expect a little up from the A8000.

Fully agree on the interchangeable plugs. I got the Shanling M8 in recently, which has an interchangeable socket, but that seems more vulnerable and less convenient than having the option to swap plugs. DITA's Awesome plug is amazing and I love using it. Don't have much experience beyond that. FiiO has a very nice one on the EM5 earbuds, a little smaller and possibly less sturdy than DITA's plug. Have yet to get an opportunity to try out DUNU's plug.

Dec 10, 2020 at 12:43 PM Post #25,673 of 39,414
How are you liking the Vega 2020?
I'm enjoying them. I owned the OG Vega and the Atlas previously as well and the Vega 2020 is the most balanced and my favorite of the family. The older two have too much bass emphasis (and that's coming from a basshead), which plays great with some genres and not so much with others. I haven't listened to them a ton just yet though. Spending more time with the newest toy, HIFIMAN HE6se :)

Dec 10, 2020 at 1:59 PM Post #25,674 of 39,414
I got the picture from DITA's Facebook and I expect they will keep sharing teasers for the next few weeks to torture us. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: No idea on pricing, but I expect a little up from the A8000.

Fully agree on the interchangeable plugs. I got the Shanling M8 in recently, which has an interchangeable socket, but that seems more vulnerable and less convenient than having the option to swap plugs. DITA's Awesome plug is amazing and I love using it. Don't have much experience beyond that. FiiO has a very nice one on the EM5 earbuds, a little smaller and possibly less sturdy than DITA's plug. Have yet to get an opportunity to try out DUNU's plug.

Your suggestion of a higher price is very likely correct. Under 3K, though, I would expect.

I thought the socket change design of the Shanling was likely to cause connectivity issues over the long run. I agree, I think the Dita design is excellent, but my Luna has replaceable connectors as well, and they’re great too. Do check them out, Dunu has a whole line-up starting at less than $200 that use their plug design.

Dec 11, 2020 at 2:58 AM Post #25,675 of 39,414
Interested in several of the electrostat tribrids with Sonion BA's, DD's under $1k. Short list is Kinera Nanna, TRI Starlight, Penon Volt. Nanna in particular piques my interest as it's 60 ohm impedance gives me hope I could use it with my Feliks Elise OTL without the usual tube amp / IEM mismatch, but overall sound quality is the most important factor. If anyone anyone has heard several of these I'd be grateful for your comparative impressions.

Dec 12, 2020 at 2:53 AM Post #25,676 of 39,414
Screen Shot 2020-12-12 at 2.37.10 AM.png

Well... here we go guys! The Final x DITA collab is here.

It's going to cost about US$2865.

Pre-orders starts now in Japan, but not sure elsewhere.
It'll be on sale on Feb 2021, and will be limited to 500 units.

Specs are as follows

Housing: Stainless Steel
Finish: Roiro Mirror Finish/Roiro Urushi Laquered Hemp Leaf Pattern
Driver: Dynamic Type (True Beryllium Driver Gen.SK)
Cable: OSLO Cable Gen.SK
Connector: MMCX
Sensitivity: 99dB / mw
Impedance: 16Ω
Weight: 47g
Cord Length: 1.2m

You can have more of a read here: https://snext-final.com/news/detail/id=1031 (Just use Google Translate lol)

It just looks amazing!

I knew they were still gonna use Be DD but with internal wirings done by DITA.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2020 at 3:03 AM Post #25,677 of 39,414

Specs are as follows

You can have more of a read here: https://snext-final.com/news/detail/id=1031 (Just use Google Translate lol)

It just looks amazing!

Thanks for this. Oh how I love Google Translate. At one point it says: "I am enhancing the sex."

Not if your wife finds out how much you paid! :astonished:

Dec 12, 2020 at 3:10 AM Post #25,678 of 39,414

Specs are as follows

It just looks amazing!

Gorgeous shell!! I hope the sound is equally good! If this is based on the same DD as A8000, I hope the treble will be less bright as I’ve read reviews that A8000’s treble can get a bit hot.

Dec 12, 2020 at 3:41 AM Post #25,679 of 39,414
Thanks for this. Oh how I love Google Translate. At one point it says: "I am enhancing the sex."

Not if your wife finds out how much you paid! :astonished:

LOL I'm pretty sure it'll be capable of that :wink:

Gorgeous shell!! I hope the sound is equally good! If this is based on the same DD as A8000, I hope the treble will be less bright as I’ve read reviews that A8000’s treble can get a bit hot.

It is the same Be DD found in the A8000 but it is handled by DITA. So I'm sure there will be a difference in the tuning.

Dec 12, 2020 at 5:15 AM Post #25,680 of 39,414

For me, it was the lack of warmth in the midrange; sounded really thinned out. If they’ve managed to resolve that with both the internal and external wiring, then it definitely has potential, even at that price. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back