flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Dec 6, 2020 at 12:27 PM Post #25,606 of 39,414
Longshot, but does anyone know what this storage case is? Thanks!

3B9B6919-7A5E-49BB-9D34-8BE571F62DB0.jpeg

Dec 6, 2020 at 12:29 PM Post #25,607 of 39,414
Dec 6, 2020 at 2:32 PM Post #25,608 of 39,414
Looking forward to your review, but that right there is why I'm not even remotely curious about the Erlk for myself. No DD, no dice. Gorgeous IEM though, more like jewellery than gear.
Yeah, I can't see myself not having DD bass in an iem. And all it took was a hybrid with no coherency issues to convince me. Empire owes UM a thanks for me getting Odin tbh.

As for jewellery, the FE Odin feels like that at times too. Bifrost is just too gorgeous.

I have done the search my self and I learned I absolutely need a dd in there and air pressure relief system plus best isolation possible.

There is 2 brands today that make this a possibility. My favorite 64 audio and I second Fir audio.

I tried pretty much all the big iems of 64a and if you want there best go for Tia Fourte Noir and I pair mine with symbiote elite 19 cable.
Why I love the Tia Noir, cause it has a dd and also each driver has its own acoustical air chamber, plus anti air pressure system.
But heck are you ready to pay 5300 usd $ ?
I don't think pressure relief is a necessity with vented DD designs. Apex and Atom are infinitely more useful in fully BA or sealed hybrid designs.

But yes, 64 and Fir have the unique thing of fully tubeless designs and the drivers end up sounding greater than the sum of their parts. Thats something that warrants them a permanent slot each in my collection.

My feelings on LE models are less than pleasant though. A lack of them in the market means that impressions are to be taken with a sack of salt, higher price in general. And I'm not blowing that lind of money without a demo.

Dec 6, 2020 at 3:39 PM Post #25,609 of 39,414
Guys, I have a question:
At what point in terms of price do IEMs stop having faults? Where does the sound finally become “perfect” or close to perfect?

I’ve so far only experienced cheaper IEMs, my best one being JVC FDX1 ($250) and while it has great sound, its sound comes off as ‘shouty’ at times.

So I wonder, if I ever wanna upgrade and buy an IEM without basic or apparent flaws, how much would I have to spend?
Too answer your question no iem is going to have no flaw, some are jack of all trades master of none some are genre/audience specific tuning. As you move up the price brackets you can pick something that brings a lot more (clean bass response, transient response, smooth tuning, extension on both ends) but not iem will be perfect for every user/ genre. Also for the fdx1 try them with torankus eq settings if you can. they can really punch above their weight! heres the settings, I like to add even more bass.
FDX1Stock.png

Dec 7, 2020 at 12:48 AM Post #25,610 of 39,414
wx_camera_1606730143402.jpg

VR1 has become my new favourite dynamic driver IEM. The sound is very linear in all frequency.
Never sibilant, bass has that addicitve dynamic decay and it is fast when it needs to be.

Fit wise, it is the most comfortable IEM I have owner to date.

Cons are well the cable and the 2-pin connector.
It is a very cable dependent IEM and the shallow 2-pin can get loose with excessive disconnextion. wx_camera_1606730143402.jpg

Dec 7, 2020 at 12:48 AM Post #25,611 of 39,414
Hey guys! Here is my take on Lime Ears' new flagship Pneuma. I think it is a wonderful IEM with a very cool Signature Lime Ears' shell design and a very musical and fun take on a reference-ish style of signature with nice natural tonality. Check it out and let me know how you like it or if you have any questions for me. Cheers! :D

Dec 7, 2020 at 12:55 AM Post #25,612 of 39,414

VR1 has become my new favourite dynamic driver IEM. The sound is very linear in all frequency.
Never sibilant, bass has that addicitve dynamic decay and it is fast when it needs to be.

Fit wise, it is the most comfortable IEM I have owner to date.

Cons are well the cable and the 2-pin connector.
It is a very cable dependent IEM and the shallow 2-pin can get loose with excessive disconnextion.
I have a chance to listen to it.
The ceramic transducer makes the sound very clean and clear with little distortion, very different from others.
However, the extension in treble makes it lose some top-end detail.
Scaling up with power is a very good, bigger image, less distortion.

Dec 7, 2020 at 2:11 AM Post #25,613 of 39,414
hey guys , i have an TOTL algorithm , try it out and see how good your iem(s) are

so the Satisfaction Rate SR = (P / M ) x NI (in $)

where

P : Price you bought (let's kee it in US dollars)
M : Months you enjoyed/kept this one in full/heavy use (if you bought something and use it 2 hours/month it's not eligible)
NI : Number of iems you also had/used extensively at that time (not the same if you have another 8 iems to say ah now i am covered)

the lowest the number , the better the bargain - do it and see what you get , then share your ratios here

Ok since i invented it, let me begin with Zeus XR

SR= 35 (and counting towards a lower rate)

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2020 at 2:22 AM Post #25,614 of 39,414
hey guys , i have an TOTL algorithm , try it out and see how good your iem(s) are

so the Satisfaction Rate SR = (P / M ) / NI (in $)

where

M : Months you enjoyed/kept this one in full/heavy use (if you bought something and use it 2 hours/month it's not eligible)
NI : Number of iems you also had/used extensively at that time (not the same if you have another 8 iems to say ah now i am covered)

the lowest the number , the better the bargain - do it and see what you get , then share your ratios here

260BC5FA-2EE2-4111-B683-516216DD1703.jpeg

Dec 7, 2020 at 2:45 AM Post #25,615 of 39,414

so the Satisfaction Rate SR = (P / M ) / NI (in $)

where

Hummm on my Elysium since it's pretty much out of use now

3000/8 / 6 = 62.5 - bit of a rough estimate but I got a pretty decent value on that one :D

Dec 7, 2020 at 3:08 AM Post #25,616 of 39,414
Hummm on my Elysium since it's pretty much out of use now

3000/8 / 6 = 62.5 - bit of a rough estimate but I got a pretty decent value on that one :D

sorry Raz , but there is a typo , which i fixed in the SR

it's not /MI , but x MI

which makes sense - if you need to have 10 totl to feel good then maybe it aint so totl after all ?

so your SR is 2250 , not gonna call that a bargain :xf_cool:

Dec 7, 2020 at 3:12 AM Post #25,617 of 39,414
sorry Raz , but there is a typo , which i fixed in the SR

it's not /MI , but x MI

which makes sense - if you need to have 10 totl to feel good then maybe it aint so totl after all ?

so your SR is 2250 , not gonna call that a bargain :xf_cool:
Ehhh by that definition nothing will ever be a TOTL because I simply ain’t a one IEM guy

Makes more sense to divide by the number of other IEMs though imo, because despite all the other IEMs you own, it still gets intensive use?

Dec 7, 2020 at 3:20 AM Post #25,619 of 39,414
Ehhh by that definition nothing will ever be a TOTL because I simply ain’t a one IEM guy

Makes more sense to divide by the number of other IEMs though imo, because despite all the other IEMs you own, it still gets intensive use?

nope, it's quite the opposite actually

this thing is like a marriage - you can't say you are in love with your wife , when you sleep every night with another woman :xf_cool:

but yeah , i don't see you going below 2000 on the SR chart (you are obviously the Hugh Hefner kind of guy , iem-wise)

Dec 7, 2020 at 3:30 AM Post #25,620 of 39,414
nope, it's quite the opposite actually

this thing is like a marriage - you can't say you are in love with your wife , when you sleep every night with another woman :xf_cool:

but yeah , i don't see you going below 2000 on the SR chart (you are obviously the Hugh Hefner kind of guy , iem-wise)
It’s ironic considering how monogamous I am IRL... my endless IEM affairs are consuming all my frivolity :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back