flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Nov 10, 2020 at 2:33 AM Post #24,886 of 39,414
Stumble upon this today... Spiral Ear SE6 EDGE. (https://spiralear.com/se6-edge-custom-iems/)

New Spiral Ear flagship. Product description is itself quite enticing. "SE6 EDGE are the most powerful, the most addictive and by the same time the most balanced monitors we have ever created, with improved soundstage characteristics, separation and imaging."

This time round and breaking tradition Spiral Ear will be sending 3D printed demo units of SE6 EDGE to "different parts of the world". Interesting times ahead!

Nov 10, 2020 at 3:00 AM Post #24,887 of 39,414
Stumble upon this today... Spiral Ear SE6 EDGE. (https://spiralear.com/se6-edge-custom-iems/)

New Spiral Ear flagship. Product description is itself quite enticing. "SE6 EDGE are the most powerful, the most addictive and by the same time the most balanced monitors we have ever created, with improved soundstage characteristics, separation and imaging."

This time round and breaking tradition Spiral Ear will be sending 3D printed demo units of SE6 EDGE to "different parts of the world". Interesting times ahead!

Yeah, we touched on this one a few days ago, and it's incredibly exciting indeed. I'm more curious as to who they're sending those 3D-printed demo units to, actually, because I'm not aware of any dealers that carry Spiral Ear. Perhaps, they're talking about reviewers? If so, I gotta get my name on that list ASAP. :D

Nov 10, 2020 at 3:41 AM Post #24,888 of 39,414
Any decent black friday offers coming in? Not that I'm in a position to get much right now. See alclair have up to 30% off.

Nov 10, 2020 at 3:46 AM Post #24,889 of 39,414
Any decent black friday offers coming in? Not that I'm in a position to get much right now. See alclair have up to 30% off.

Alclair's also recently teased a new IEM coming soon on their IG, so you might wanna wait to see what that one is first. :wink:

Nov 10, 2020 at 4:33 AM Post #24,890 of 39,414
If driver count is anything to go by, competition will be stiff and it'll be interesting to see how the new SE flagship will have an "EDGE" over hybrid / tri-brid offerings available in the market today.

Nov 10, 2020 at 4:47 AM Post #24,891 of 39,414
Alclair's also recently teased a new IEM coming soon on their IG, so you might wanna wait to see what that one is first. :wink:

Yep there is a big discount on it already, COVID hits the economy hard... 13 drivers, 4 BA bass, 4 BA mids, 1 BA and 4 EST Highs

ESM Thirteen Driver - The Ultimate Stage and Listening Monitor - Alclair Audio 2020-11-10 10-4...png

Nov 10, 2020 at 4:51 AM Post #24,892 of 39,414
Nov 10, 2020 at 4:52 AM Post #24,893 of 39,414
Yep there is a big discount on it already, COVID hits the economy hard... 13 drivers, 4 BA bass, 4 BA mids, 1 BA and 4 EST Highs

ESM Thirteen Driver - The Ultimate Stage and Listening Monitor - Alclair Audio 2020-11-10 10-4...png

Ahh, I didn't see they'd already launched it on their website. Dang, they're really coming into the high-end market now. 'Definitely curious to hear how this one sounds. Hopefully, this'll be their last flagship for a while, and they continue to stay true to the value-for-money pocket they've been killing in for so long now; like an American Custom Art, almost. In fact, hopefully we'll see to see some trickle-down from their pricier offerings to their more affordable ones too.

Nov 10, 2020 at 9:42 AM Post #24,894 of 39,414
Legend X and HYLA Sarda are off to Itsfit to get reshelled into customs. They’ll be my first CIEM, so a little nervous, but super excited!
Due to a snag in Vietnam Customs it’s been about 10 weeks, but I should have these babies back in my hands on Friday.

Purple and gold for the Sarda to rep my favorite team, the 17x champion Lakers. Blue and gold for the LX to rep my alma mater, UCLA.

399FEF38-0F0F-48C9-A5E9-FCAACF8CBD4F.jpeg2AB8C6C4-DC89-4D8F-ABCD-B41EA0058396.jpeg

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2020 at 11:34 AM Post #24,895 of 39,414
Just finished and shared my Oriolus Traillii review. And as I mentioned in Preamble, please, put down the pitchforks and torches and try to enjoy the read! :wink:

oriolus-traillii-19.jpg

Nov 10, 2020 at 11:45 AM Post #24,896 of 39,414
Nice write up.

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2020 at 1:43 PM Post #24,898 of 39,414
Just finished and shared my Oriolus Traillii review. And as I mentioned in Preamble, please, put down the pitchforks and torches and try to enjoy the read! :wink:

oriolus-traillii-19.jpg
You know how open minded I am when it comes to price tags, but this time around I find it is borderline insulting really :/

For 6000$ what you get is:

- A 100$ Van Nuys case that you can get on eBay, with a single pouch (Campfire usually includes 3-4 of those at a sixth of the price and they come with a pocketable case)

- A cheap, acrylic demo-unit-worthy shell, with an even more demo-unit-worthy wooden faceplate. What? At 60% of the price tag, the Erl comes in a shell that's made from pure silver, and a massive wooden box, and a leather case. Mind you, the VE demo units actually look like they've had more thought put into their design

- Off the shelf drivers, no AMTs, no magnetostatics, nothing actually wild or crazy here - legit, just BAs and estats that you can find in every second IEM nowadays

- PW 1960s 4 wire - Jack Vang from EE said something that I really liked when the Odin was announced and people were like "can I have it for 2400$ without a cable" - you don't choose the MSRP based on the cable, you choose the cable based on the MSRP. A company with any half-decent volume is able to get a cable at a fraction of what a normal consumer can, but in this case Oriolus seem to be relying on us justifying the price tag based on the stock cable - if I am being charged full MSRP (or more like, 2.5 times the MSRP) of a 1960s 4 wire, I'd at least like to choose which cable I receive

Again, I'm about as open minded about the price tags of personal audio as anyone can be - when I purchased my Erl I got it with 3 extra sets of faceplates at 200 euros each and those felt fine to me, but this.... Yikes.

Nov 10, 2020 at 3:05 PM Post #24,899 of 39,414

oriolus-traillii-19.jpg
Amazing review as always!
despite the price, I’d really love to hear these someday.

Nov 10, 2020 at 3:19 PM Post #24,900 of 39,414
You know how open minded I am when it comes to price tags, but this time around I find it is borderline insulting really :/

For 6000$ what you get is:

- A 100$ Van Nuys case that you can get on eBay, with a single pouch (Campfire usually includes 3-4 of those at a sixth of the price and they come with a pocketable case)

- A cheap, acrylic demo-unit-worthy shell, with an even more demo-unit-worthy wooden faceplate. What? At 60% of the price tag, the Erl comes in a shell that's made from pure silver, and a massive wooden box, and a leather case. Mind you, the VE demo units actually look like they've had more thought put into their design

- Off the shelf drivers, no AMTs, no magnetostatics, nothing actually wild or crazy here - legit, just BAs and estats that you can find in every second IEM nowadays

- PW 1960s 4 wire - Jack Vang from EE said something that I really liked when the Odin was announced and people were like "can I have it for 2400$ without a cable" - you don't choose the MSRP based on the cable, you choose the cable based on the MSRP. A company with any half-decent volume is able to get a cable at a fraction of what a normal consumer can, but in this case Oriolus seem to be relying on us justifying the price tag based on the stock cable - if I am being charged full MSRP (or more like, 2.5 times the MSRP) of a 1960s 4 wire, I'd at least like to choose which cable I receive

Again, I'm about as open minded about the price tags of personal audio as anyone can be - when I purchased my Erl I got it with 3 extra sets of faceplates at 200 euros each and those felt fine to me, but this.... Yikes.

I agree and said it in my review as well, unboxing experience is rather plain and the design is not flashy. This is Japanese product, maybe that is typical for them. Plus, the name itself corresponds to a small plain grey flycatcher bird. So, if you will be judging it purely on packaging and the looks, it looses points considering its price tag. But it is a whole different story when you hear them. Of course, purely subjective opinion and I know there will be others who are waiting to hear this demo unit from Musicteck, so they will share their impressions in a near future. I'm not here to sell or to promote IEMs, just wanted to share what I heard, so don't kill the messenger :) But this is probably the first IEM that crossed my mind I would buy when I'm ready to "retire" because I haven't heard anything that sounds as good. And with an exception of Erl which I'm yet to hear, I heard most of them with all the flagship cables. If you get a chance, give it a listen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back