flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Nov 11, 2020 at 2:21 AM Post #24,916 of 39,419
What’s funny to me is I literally heard the Odin to have a more BA sound to it overall than the erlkonig, yet it’s a tri brid.

Making a dual DD subwoofer IEM sound more like BA takes some doing. That's like making a Harley sound like a Vespa. Why?

It's not so much the BA 'sound' that is a negative to me, its the lack of a tactile bass response which (so far for me) can only be created by a DD. The U12t wasn't able to scratch that itch for me despite its insanely good quality so I have doubts that the Erl would be able to either.

Nailed it right there. Life is much simpler for me now that I've figured out what my #1 priority is for any headphone format (hint: air movement).

PS. Sorry for commenting on days' old posts. I'm getting fed up with HF forgetting to send me email updates for posts I've subscribed to.

Nov 11, 2020 at 2:27 AM Post #24,918 of 39,419
You really liked the iem didn't you! I was quite interested in these but only saw one review so was waiting. Price is rough but if it's an iem that can do every genre excellently, I will surely consider them.
I am yet to hear of an IEM that can do every genre flawlessly AND contain a DD driver. Don't think one exists. Which is why I have two.

Nov 11, 2020 at 2:30 AM Post #24,919 of 39,419
Making a dual DD subwoofer IEM sound more like BA takes some doing. That's like making a Harley sound like a Vespa. Why?

Nailed it right there. Life is much simpler for me now that I've figured out what my #1 priority is for any headphone format (hint: air movement).

PS. Sorry for commenting on days' old posts. I'm getting fed up with HF forgetting to send me email updates for posts I've subscribed to.
I found the bass in the Odin to be quite DD-like actually, the texture was incredible despite the more neutral quantity, but to me it was incoherent with the cold, thin, extremely BA-like midrange. The Legend X is a an IEM that to me sounds like a DD throughout the entire spectrum for example - the Odin's bass would've sounded way better to me with a midrange that's more similar to the Phantom's, something thick and juicy - alternatively I'd just swap the twin DDs for BAs, and have fast and snappy bass that's in line with the rest of the signature

Nov 11, 2020 at 3:09 AM Post #24,920 of 39,419

It's worth noting that the Odin's bass is among the most tip-sensitive I've ever encountered. Its size (or surface area) in the stage seems to correlate with the diameter of the bore, so I've found the stock Final E tips to shrink the lows, almost. I've gotten the best results with JVC's Spiral Dots. It's definitely a DD bass, even if it's been tuned slightly more on the neutral side.

I am yet to hear of an IEM that can do every genre flawlessly AND contain a DD driver. Don't think one exists. Which is why I have two.

I've yet to hear of an IEM that can do every genre flawlessly, period. The most jack-of-all-trades IEM I can think of with a DD bass would probably be FiR Audio's M5. As mentioned on my review, the only thing it doesn't absolutely nail is more intimate, more emotional recordings. Even then, it still puts in quite the shift. If you're talking about DDs in general, I love Vision Ears' ELYSIUM, though I can easily see it not having enough bass for purists of genres like EDM.

Nov 11, 2020 at 3:16 AM Post #24,922 of 39,419
Some will say Elrky does! I couldn't say!
I can think of an IEM that outperforms the Erl at every single gente but almost none that outperform it when you consider performance across all genres - a jack of all trades kinda thing

Edit: every single genre that I listen to, soz

Nov 11, 2020 at 3:22 AM Post #24,923 of 39,419

LCDi4 does it for me, but then again it’s not DD :smile:

I've yet to hear of an IEM that can do every genre flawlessly, period. The most jack-of-all-trades IEM I can think of with a DD bass would probably be FiR Audio's M5. As mentioned on my review, the only thing it doesn't absolutely nail is more intimate, more emotional recordings. Even then, it still puts in quite the shift.

+1 on M5

Nov 11, 2020 at 3:26 AM Post #24,924 of 39,419
I can think of an IEM that outperforms the Erl at every single gente but almost none that outperform it when you consider performance across all genres - a jack of all trades kinda thing

Edit: every single genre that I listen to, soz
For me Thummim was quite up there, only place it lost points for me was in Classical genre.

Nov 11, 2020 at 3:29 AM Post #24,925 of 39,419
For me Thummim was quite up there, only place it lost points for me was in Classical genre.
The Thummim has a pretty nutty signature all around yeah, I don’t really do much classical but I can see how the lack of realism won’t play so well

Nov 11, 2020 at 3:37 AM Post #24,928 of 39,419
It's worth noting that the Odin's bass is among the most tip-sensitive I've ever encountered. Its size (or surface area) in the stage seems to correlate with the diameter of the bore, so I've found the stock Final E tips to shrink the lows, almost. I've gotten the best results with JVC's Spiral Dots. It's definitely a DD bass, even if it's been tuned slightly more on the neutral side.

Agreed. You need a pretty deep fitting tip with a strong seal. SpinFit CP155's do the trick for me. Odin's bass quality is phenomenal.

Nov 11, 2020 at 3:40 AM Post #24,929 of 39,419
Maybe for that bit I could just get an open-back TOTL headphone and call it equal :D
The HD800S is pretty phenomenal - id totally get one but I’m pretty covered on HPs currently :D

Nov 11, 2020 at 3:40 AM Post #24,930 of 39,419
Agreed. You need a pretty deep fitting tip with a strong seal. SpinFit CP155's do the trick for me. Odin's bass quality is phenomenal.
Ouch. I don't do deep insert. Find it way too irritating. I use shallow insert with short tips for both my 64 Audio IEMs and get a perfect seal (and bass for that matter).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back