flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Nov 10, 2020 at 3:26 PM Post #24,901 of 39,419
When noted audiophile whale @mvvRAZ questions the price you know you dun and goofed up

Nov 10, 2020 at 3:46 PM Post #24,903 of 39,419
I agree and said it in my review as well, unboxing experience is rather plain and the design is not flashy. This is Japanese product, maybe that is typical for them. Plus, the name itself corresponds to a small plain grey flycatcher bird. So, if you will be judging it purely on packaging and the looks, it looses points considering its price tag. But it is a whole different story when you hear them. Of course, purely subjective opinion and I know there will be others who are waiting to hear this demo unit from Musicteck, so they will share their impressions in a near future. I'm not here to sell or to promote IEMs, just wanted to share what I heard, so don't kill the messenger :) But this is probably the first IEM that crossed my mind I would buy when I'm ready to "retire" because I haven't heard anything that sounds as good. And with an exception of Erl which I'm yet to hear, I heard most of them with all the flagship cables. If you get a chance, give it a listen.
Naw definitely, the review is lovely and I’m certainly interested in trying them as I’m curious about well... mostly everything!

My comment was really a sentiment about the product as a whole as opposed to the review :)

Nov 10, 2020 at 4:25 PM Post #24,904 of 39,419
Naw definitely, the review is lovely and I’m certainly interested in trying them as I’m curious about well... mostly everything!

My comment was really a sentiment about the product as a whole as opposed to the review :)

Which brings up a question, is this typical for Japanese releases? I remember people telling me about going to various popular audio shops in Japan where you buy high end flagship cables in a zip lock bag and fancy boutique flagship iems in $1 ebay clamshell zipper case. So, always made me wonder if this is a cultural thing.

Nov 10, 2020 at 4:30 PM Post #24,905 of 39,419
Which brings up a question, is this typical for Japanese releases? I remember people telling me about going to various popular audio shops in Japan where you buy high end flagship cables in a zip lock bag and fancy boutique flagship iems in $1 ebay clamshell zipper case. So, always made me wonder if this is a cultural thing.
I sometimes unbox IEMs before I get home and throw away the packaging to pretend that they aren’t new - maybe this is a plot to protect Japanese audiophiles from judgmental families :D

Nov 10, 2020 at 4:40 PM Post #24,906 of 39,419
You know how open minded I am when it comes to price tags, but this time around I find it is borderline insulting really :/

Truth. I know they're sister companies, but the packaging is exactly the same as my HYLA Sarda, which is 1/5th the cost, with the only difference being the PW cable. You'd think for laying down 5x the cost there would be an unboxing experience to match. Look at what you get with the DUNU LUNA or HiBy R8 by comparison and both of those are less than 1/3rd the cost of the Traillii. These escalating prices are crazy!

Nov 10, 2020 at 4:46 PM Post #24,908 of 39,419
I'd argue the Sony IER-Z1R had a nice package & accessories, so I'm not sure it's a cultural thing. To be fair though, Sony's ubiquitous so they likely try to cater to a broader potential buyer base across the globe.

Nov 10, 2020 at 5:08 PM Post #24,909 of 39,419
Remembering back to the Erlkonig LE unboxing experience, my goodness that was just insanely luxurious. At the time, I felt like I should just toss the IEMs and keep the packaging and presentation. Second to none, I would say.

Reminds me of that scene in Wall-E (yes I guess I watch too many kids' movies with my son) where he finds a diamond ring, tosses it, and is enamored by the box. That's me with the Erl box :)

-Collin-

Nov 10, 2020 at 5:35 PM Post #24,910 of 39,419
Remembering back to the Erlkonig LE unboxing experience, my goodness that was just insanely luxurious. At the time, I felt like I should just toss the IEMs and keep the packaging and presentation. Second to none, I would say.

Reminds me of that scene in Wall-E (yes I guess I watch too many kids' movies with my son) where he finds a diamond ring, tosses it, and is enamored by the box. That's me with the Erl box :)

-Collin-

man, that movie is awesome.

and yeah, $6k is gettin' up there.

would love to hear it though, as i've been trying to find a partner that can play at the same level as the erlky...it's not easy.

Nov 10, 2020 at 7:56 PM Post #24,911 of 39,419
man, that movie is awesome.

and yeah, $6k is gettin' up there.

would love to hear it though, as i've been trying to find a partner that can play at the same level as the erlky...it's not easy.
If it is in the same league, any chance of a mega sale? Maybe it’s not selling? I would also think VE needs to follow up on the Erlk as well.....

Nov 10, 2020 at 8:42 PM Post #24,912 of 39,419
Excellent review and what a bargain! Guess I will be buying a few as stocking filler this Xmas....

Can I be on your Xmas list, bud? I've been a very good boy this year :D

Nov 10, 2020 at 9:21 PM Post #24,913 of 39,419
If it is in the same league, any chance of a mega sale? Maybe it’s not selling? I would also think VE needs to follow up on the Erlk as well.....
VE has said they’re working on something else to succeed the erlky. It will be out in about 1.5 - 2 years, last I heard.

Nov 11, 2020 at 1:14 AM Post #24,914 of 39,419
I find this true lol
FitEar IEMs also have very minimal packaging. (given they’re not as expensive)
It’s either because they’re really into minimalism in terms of packaging (They don’t wanna clutter their already small houses/apartments or they just want the actual product to do the talking.

An interesting comparison in terms of price of IEMs and packaging would be the Effect Audio King Arthur. While It’s up there in price, packaging, accessories, and presentation, the sound of the IEMs however weren’t up to par according to people. But given what people say about it, I tend to like stuff that people just don’t like. (*Cough* Wraith *Cough*) so I’m still curious to hear them. 😂

Users who are viewing this thread

Back