flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Nov 7, 2020 at 1:10 PM Post #24,856 of 39,419
The brand is a bit of a lolz and they lose about 50-60% of their value the moment you receive them. One sold a few days ago for 4000£ and it was a week old lol. The fit is also kinda abysmal (still not as bad as that of the EAMT1C) and requires insane tip rolling, and that’s in order to get the AMT driver to fire correctly - comfort was never even an option :D
50-60% lost in value! That is crazy. I wonder if the buyer even demo it? If it's a blind buy and sold within a week shows that the product might sound mediocre.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2020 at 1:29 PM Post #24,857 of 39,419
50-60% lost in value! That is crazy. I wonder if the buyer even demo it? If it's a blind buy and sold within a week shows that the product might sound mediocre.
oBravo is pretty much in the same category as custom IEMs. You get a similar % back on resale haha

Nov 7, 2020 at 1:34 PM Post #24,858 of 39,419
oBravo is pretty much in the same category as custom IEMs. You get a similar % back on resale haha
Why do they cost so much if there’s a number of issues with them and do you know if they really give £9k worth of sound quality?

Nov 7, 2020 at 1:58 PM Post #24,859 of 39,419
Why do they cost so much if there’s a number of issues with them and do you know if they really give £9k worth of sound quality?
90% sound quality? Just look up some of the reviews and crins thoughts on the obravo.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2020 at 2:17 PM Post #24,860 of 39,419
👍

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2020 at 2:32 PM Post #24,861 of 39,419
Idk what the reasoning behind oBravo’s pricing is but it’s pretty obscene. I’ve heard some variants of them, I believe they got a retune just now but the Ra C Cu I tried last year was pretty terrible. I was at the High End Munich and the guy at the oBravo booth was just like “this is a 10000$ IEM” - 0 info about the IEM, the driver tech etc etc - only thing that I guess was worth mentioning was the price tag lol

Nov 7, 2020 at 2:38 PM Post #24,862 of 39,419
Idk what the reasoning behind oBravo’s pricing is but it’s pretty obscene. I’ve heard some variants of them, I believe they got a retune just now but the Ra C Cu I tried last year was pretty terrible. I was at the High End Munich and the guy at the oBravo booth was just like “this is a 10000$ IEM” - 0 info about the IEM, the driver tech etc etc - only thing that I guess was worth mentioning was the price tag lol
What do you mean by terrible? Is the treble screetchy, the lows boomy and muddy or what? I heard it is terrible by many people but no impressions.

Nov 7, 2020 at 2:50 PM Post #24,863 of 39,419
FWIW - I have the erlky and thum.

I have literally ZERO interest in obravo.

:relieved:

Nov 7, 2020 at 2:58 PM Post #24,864 of 39,419
FWIW - I have the erlky and thum.

I have literally ZERO interest in obravo.

:relieved:
You tried the spiral ears se6 and infinity mk2 before? There are lots more totl iems out there!

Nov 7, 2020 at 3:26 PM Post #24,865 of 39,419
nope, haven’t tried them.

Nov 7, 2020 at 3:55 PM Post #24,866 of 39,419
What do you mean by terrible? Is the treble screetchy, the lows boomy and muddy or what? I heard it is terrible by many people but no impressions.
It was a very long time ago in all honestly, I mostly remember being heavily unimpressed regardless of price point. That being said, having had a demo EAMT1C and knowing how many tips I had to go through until the AMT fired into my ear correctly, it’s entirely possible that I hadn’t fitted the Ra correctly, but then again, not super interested in anything oBravo personally

Nov 7, 2020 at 4:05 PM Post #24,868 of 39,419

I think the reason here behind high pricing is because they were the first and the only one to develop and to manufacture miniature AMT drivers. Not because these are the best sounding IEMs, but because of all the cost associated with R&D, manufacturing, and small boutique level production volume. Regarding the sound, it is very hard to find the right pair up synergy and powerful enough source; most of the daps just don't work well with these.

Nov 7, 2020 at 4:26 PM Post #24,869 of 39,419
I think the reason here behind high pricing is because they were the first and the only one to develop and to manufacture miniature AMT drivers. Not because these are the best sounding IEMs, but because of all the cost associated with R&D, manufacturing, and small boutique level production volume. Regarding the sound, it is very hard to find the right pair up synergy and powerful enough source; most of the daps just don't work well with these.

part of the strategy might be to inflate the prices to the point where they cater to those who simply want to buy the most expensive thing assuming it’s the best and not really engage with the hobby. It would also kinda explain why they pretty much almost never come up in the discussions of people who are actively involved in the audiophile hobby market

Nov 7, 2020 at 4:34 PM Post #24,870 of 39,419
part of the strategy might be to inflate the prices to the point where they cater to those who simply want to buy the most expensive thing assuming it’s the best and not really engage with the hobby. It would also kinda explain why they pretty much almost never come up in the discussions of people who are actively involved in the audiophile hobby market
Make sense!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back