flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Nov 6, 2020 at 9:23 AM Post #24,841 of 39,419
Spiral Ears now provides 3D-printed universal demo units for their new SE6 Edge?

I guess 2020 is really a good year to make these changes 😁

Nov 6, 2020 at 9:47 AM Post #24,842 of 39,419
Perfect combination

Attachments

• 0EF5054F-3753-4D84-8DD9-2E6C8ED62514.jpeg
    0EF5054F-3753-4D84-8DD9-2E6C8ED62514.jpeg
    341.7 KB · Views: 0
Nov 6, 2020 at 10:56 AM Post #24,844 of 39,419
Spiral Ears now provides 3D-printed universal demo units for their new SE6 Edge?

I guess 2020 is really a good year to make these changes 😁

'Saw that too. I'm tempted to shoot Grzegorz an e-mail, even though my ears still are automatically - anatomically - ineligible for the custom. :D They've dropped the price of the standard SE6 to... more "normal" flagship prices as well, so that's nifty too.

Nov 6, 2020 at 10:58 AM Post #24,845 of 39,419
'Saw that too. I'm tempted to shoot Grzegorz an e-mail, even though my ears still are automatically - anatomically - ineligible for the custom. :D They've dropped the price of the standard SE6 to... more "normal" flagship prices as well, so that's nifty too.
Give it another try. Who knows you might be lucky. :p

Nov 6, 2020 at 11:01 AM Post #24,846 of 39,419
Give it another try. Who knows you might be lucky. :p

Well, I don't know if luck has anything to do with it. Grzegorz literally said my ear canals were too twisty to fit any of the components from their 4-driver or above. The 3-driver was the best he could do, which, by the way, is still waiting for me at a family friend's home in Singapore. But, yeah, the 6 is definitely a no-go, but I'd definitely love to give that universal demo out for a spin.

Nov 6, 2020 at 11:52 AM Post #24,847 of 39,419
I was meaning to ask you what became of the SE4 Ultimate @Deezel177 now I know. I think from the description SE3 is more my signature so curious to have your impressions and review!

I saw the S6 Edge release and the overall price drop... glad to see it's more realistic...

I would be eligible with my big and straight conduits (actually fit @Mimouille SE6 pretty well) maybe legendary SE5U would be more my thing I didn't click with the 2 times I tried the SE6 I suspect it needs a lot of power.

Nov 6, 2020 at 4:29 PM Post #24,848 of 39,419
@Deezel177 thats how i heard the m5. from one drummer to another...i loved how the m5 portrayed snare cracks and after reading your review im wondering if thats what im searching. Upper midrange.

Ive only heard a couple iems and i couldnt even begin to remember which portrayed snare hits like the m5.

The way it resolved Carters playing on Satellite with all those hi hat embellishments around the 1:20 mark... was nice. not picked up amazingly but it was nice.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2020 at 4:40 PM Post #24,849 of 39,419
@Deezel177 thats how i heard the m5. from one drummer to another...i llved how the m5 portrayed snare cracks and after reading your review im wondering if thats what im searching. Upper midrange.

Ive only heard a couple iems and i couldnt even begin to remember which portrayed snare hits like the m5.

The way it resolved Carters playing on Satellite with all those hi hat embellishments around ghe 130 mark i recall. was nice. not picked up amazingly but it was nice.

I'm leaving several other variables out, but the key to a good snare crack to me would be a neutral or slightly-above-neutral upper-midrange, followed by a good 5kHz peak. Too much upper-midrange tends to make the snare too ring-y and saturated for me, like you're listening to just the snare mic(s) with barely any overheads. The 5kHz peak is what gives it that edge and air, so you'd want to have a balance of both. I'd look for good 2-4kHz presence, followed by a 5kHz peak that rises just above it or is perfectly in line with it. Ideally, that would be supported by a healthy 1-2kHz rise beforehand to build the body and oomph of the snare, and - what it does to other instruments notwithstanding - a lower-midrange dip between 300-700Hz to boost definition would be nice too. The M5 has the added benefit of that openness and air already built into the midrange (perhaps because of its tubeless technology), which bolsters these qualities even more.

Nov 7, 2020 at 12:40 PM Post #24,854 of 39,419
Is that a obravo rah c-cu?
We don’t seem to hear much about the Rah C-Cu. There is a lot of talk about other TOTL in-ears i.e. Erlkonig, Thummim, Odin etc but not this one. It could be that price is a big factor. At £9k it’s too far out of reach for most people. I’d still like to know more about it though and how it stands up against other TOTLs.

Nov 7, 2020 at 12:48 PM Post #24,855 of 39,419
We don’t seem to hear much about the Rah C-Cu. There is a lot of talk about other TOTL in-ears i.e. Erlkonig, Thummim, Odin etc but not this one. It could be that price is a big factor. At £9k it’s too far out of reach for most people. I’d still like to know more about it though and how it stands up against other TOTLs.
The brand is a bit of a lolz and they lose about 50-60% of their value the moment you receive them. One sold a few days ago for 4000£ and it was a week old lol. The fit is also kinda abysmal (still not as bad as that of the EAMT1C) and requires insane tip rolling, and that’s in order to get the AMT driver to fire correctly - comfort was never even an option :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back