flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Jun 19, 2020 at 11:44 PM Post #22,846 of 39,414
No worries. @Vitaly2017 hypnotizes people to get them to buy into his hype machine :). You aren’t the first or last one...

:sweat_smile: Hey when its good I dont control my self hihihi

If this happened it would be my gateway drug to JH. Well truthfully it would be my gateway drug to a lot of oems that don't use 2 pin.... Cable rolling is a horrible addiction.

I remember something about @Vitaly2017 Phantom turning into Noir, 1z and 1960s. He must have done that! No wonder I havent seen any audio gear flying out a truck cab window!

Ohh damn those where some great times! People where finding so many great awesome gear down the roads on Canadian highways is crazy hahaha

I finally stopped at Noir and I think that one is holding me tight good and solid I am now inquiring for the new silver premium cable and see how that goes. My love is fading away from pw1960 :astonished::dizzy_face:

Jun 20, 2020 at 12:47 AM Post #22,847 of 39,414
:sweat_smile: Hey when its good I dont control my self hihihi

Ohh damn those where some great times! People where finding so many great awesome gear down the roads on Canadian highways is crazy hahaha

I finally stopped at Noir and I think that one is holding me tight good and solid I am now inquiring for the new silver premium cable and see how that goes. My love is fading away from pw1960 :astonished::dizzy_face:
There must be something they done right about the cable that comes with the Noir if you prefer it over the 1960s.

I still have my reservations considering the quality of the premium cable that comes with the ToTL as well as the stock one. Hope I can demo it, I would be surprised if 64 made a cable that doesnt suck sonically to my ears.

Jun 20, 2020 at 1:09 AM Post #22,848 of 39,414
There must be something they done right about the cable that comes with the Noir if you prefer it over the 1960s.

I still have my reservations considering the quality of the premium cable that comes with the ToTL as well as the stock one. Hope I can demo it, I would be surprised if 64 made a cable that doesnt suck sonically to my ears.

It pair's extremely well with the noir!
It doesnt mean it will match other headphones!

I did some ab today and closest cable to noir stock is black dragon v2! Now that tells you how good is stock cable!

I have not tested silver dragon unfortunately.

I still believe 64a have there own recipe and no matter what their's proprietary cable will probably sound the best in terms of overall sound quality...

Now with new premium silver ...
I wonder if the noir stock cable is not the same thing as the premium but with 8 wires!
I am waiting a reply from 64a on this....

Jun 20, 2020 at 2:41 AM Post #22,850 of 39,414
Jun 20, 2020 at 5:07 AM Post #22,851 of 39,414
Sure I can provide some impressions.

They're both outstanding products, and I'd love to own them both, let's get that out of the way.
I have the Thummim on order, so treat that as bias if you want to, but as I say, I'd love to have them both.

With the Erlkonig, you get an audiophile sound that's just refined to near perfection. When I was deciding on this or the Thum, what made me choose the MMR was that it's so different from anything in my collection, and so different from anything in the IEM world.

My reasoning was that I have the U18t - and the Erlkonig does pretty much everything it does, but better. Very clean sound, but with more musicality. The Erlkonig just organises everything so well, it's a marvel - tight, deep and focused bass, a midrange as accurate as almost anything out there, beautiful highs...in a nutshell it's an audiophile's dream. But when I was feeding back to some friends who were interested in the comparison, I said something along the lines of "the Erlkonig will wow and impress audiophiles - the Thummim will wow and impress almost everyone".

The Thummim has a larger-than-life sound - almost hyper-real but without crossing over into a zone that it becomes so unreal that it doesn't sound right.
It's got a very slightly muddier, but more textured bass, but I wouldn't say it dominates the sound. As has been mentioned many times, it has a W shaped tuning, so everything is available and detectable, but outright resolution takes a slight step back in favour of fun musicality. I just remember wanting to listen to every album in my collection to see how much fun it would be, whereas with the Erlkonig, I just want to listen to it all to hear what sounds I've been missing all these years.

At the end of the day, I already own the U18t which I'd be happy to upgrade one day if i found an Erl at a reasonable price. But for now, if I want a nice, clean sound, I can whip out the U18t and listen away.
But I own (and know) nothing that sounds anything like the Thummim. The soundstage truly has to be heard to be believed, it's phenomenal. And at the end of the day, the only time I listen critically is when I'm auditioning/demo-ing stuff. The rest of the time, I want that fun, so I went with the Thummim.

edit to say: happy to provide more specific opinions if I can, so let me know if you have any questions

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2020 at 8:32 AM Post #22,852 of 39,414
Guys, should I go for higher-end audio gear such as the Campfire Andromeda if I'm not a "total" audiophile but like to listen to music casually? I also don't know the audio jargon that people use and only judge audio by how I feel about it when I hear it. The best IEMs I've had are probably the Brainwavz B400s and iBasso IT01.

Jun 20, 2020 at 8:43 AM Post #22,853 of 39,414
Sure I can provide some impressions.

They're both outstanding products, and I'd love to own them both, let's get that out of the way.
I have the Thummim on order, so treat that as bias if you want to, but as I say, I'd love to have them both.

With the Erlkonig, you get an audiophile sound that's just refined to near perfection. When I was deciding on this or the Thum, what made me choose the MMR was that it's so different from anything in my collection, and so different from anything in the IEM world.

My reasoning was that I have the U18t - and the Erlkonig does pretty much everything it does, but better. Very clean sound, but with more musicality. The Erlkonig just organises everything so well, it's a marvel - tight, deep and focused bass, a midrange as accurate as almost anything out there, beautiful highs...in a nutshell it's an audiophile's dream. But when I was feeding back to some friends who were interested in the comparison, I said something along the lines of "the Erlkonig will wow and impress audiophiles - the Thummim will wow and impress almost everyone".

The Thummim has a larger-than-life sound - almost hyper-real but without crossing over into a zone that it becomes so unreal that it doesn't sound right.
It's got a very slightly muddier, but more textured bass, but I wouldn't say it dominates the sound. As has been mentioned many times, it has a W shaped tuning, so everything is available and detectable, but outright resolution takes a slight step back in favour of fun musicality. I just remember wanting to listen to every album in my collection to see how much fun it would be, whereas with the Erlkonig, I just want to listen to it all to hear what sounds I've been missing all these years.

At the end of the day, I already own the U18t which I'd be happy to upgrade one day if i found an Erl at a reasonable price. But for now, if I want a nice, clean sound, I can whip out the U18t and listen away.
But I own (and know) nothing that sounds anything like the Thummim. The soundstage truly has to be heard to be believed, it's phenomenal. And at the end of the day, the only time I listen critically is when I'm auditioning/demo-ing stuff. The rest of the time, I want that fun, so I went with the Thummim.

edit to say: happy to provide more specific opinions if I can, so let me know if you have any questions

Ah I think this is what I was looking for. Many thanks!

I am on the fence between these two but I think you have actually nailed the real world difference between them that i was looking for, makes it easier now! Do you pair it with stock cable or aftermarkets?

Jun 20, 2020 at 9:45 AM Post #22,854 of 39,414
Guys, should I go for higher-end audio gear such as the Campfire Andromeda if I'm not a "total" audiophile but like to listen to music casually? I also don't know the audio jargon that people use and only judge audio by how I feel about it when I hear it. The best IEMs I've had are probably the Brainwavz B400s and iBasso IT01.

Go with whatever makes you happy. High-end audiophile gear is a slippery slope of diminishing returns. The higher up you go, the less appreciable differences you're likely to hear. If you're happy with your current set-up, then there's no need to upgrade. I think $500-$1000 is a good place to hold on to for a more casual listener. Something like the Andromeda, or 64 Audio's A6t or one of Custom Art's in-ears should offer a lot of value-for-money.

Most listeners also judge audio simply by feel. The jargon we use is simply to convey - in the most universal terms possible - what that feeling is to other people. So, I wouldn't worry about the jargon at all if I were you.

Jun 20, 2020 at 1:22 PM Post #22,855 of 39,414
Go with whatever makes you happy. High-end audiophile gear is a slippery slope of diminishing returns. The higher up you go, the less appreciable differences you're likely to hear. If you're happy with your current set-up, then there's no need to upgrade. I think $500-$1000 is a good place to hold on to for a more casual listener. Something like the Andromeda, or 64 Audio's A6t or one of Custom Art's in-ears should offer a lot of value-for-money.

Most listeners also judge audio simply by feel. The jargon we use is simply to convey - in the most universal terms possible - what that feeling is to other people. So, I wouldn't worry about the jargon at all if I were you.
I agree. I will also add that I do believe the Andromeda to be a good value at its price point and you can usually get it for 10% or so less, and way less if used. I still consider it one of my best IEM’s and do not see myself getting rid of it. Even against the megabuck IEM’s mentioned here it will hold its own nicely. When I first got it, I was like damn, I wish I just bought this when it came out. Enjoy.

Jun 20, 2020 at 1:35 PM Post #22,856 of 39,414

He can always buy used, too.

Jun 20, 2020 at 1:45 PM Post #22,857 of 39,414
If you have the opportunity, plan a demo session and listen to a variety of IEMs so you can decide for yourself if moving up is worth it. I have heard IEMs at most price points and some of the most enjoyable ones have also been among the more affordable. The Final E5000 I thought were great and I rate the Custom Art FIBAE Black very highly for their wonderful musicality, irrespective of price. Most important is that you are happy with what you buy and don’t end up spending more than you can afford out of fear of missing out. Despite all the high end gear I have around (and listen to most of the time), I can still really enjoy the more sensibly priced stuff. There are some great gems out there.

Jun 20, 2020 at 3:08 PM Post #22,858 of 39,414
Do you pair it with stock cable or aftermarkets?

I found the stock cable too stiff, but the demo unit actually shipped with the old Plato so my experience here isn’t much use to anyone. @mvvRAZ can help there. If you’re referring to the Erlkonig, I used the stock for a bit but again, I changed it. I’m unique in that (a) I absolutely detest memory wire or heat shrink tubing of any kind and (b) I’m able to use my own DIY cables so not the best comparator, but for both of them I preferred some of my own cables based on comfort issues I had with the stock cables

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2020 at 3:27 PM Post #22,859 of 39,414
Ah I think this is what I was looking for. Many thanks!

I am on the fence between these two but I think you have actually nailed the real world difference between them that i was looking for, makes it easier now! Do you pair it with stock cable or aftermarkets?
I personally prefer the Thummim with the Iliad though I feel like the Plato is kinda “objectively” better in the sense that it tightens the bass a little and gives a better balance between texture and clarity. Either way though the Thummim is an IEM that you absolutely don’t need to swap cables on, the stock wire is awesome

Jun 20, 2020 at 3:29 PM Post #22,860 of 39,414

Now that Custom Art has their Universal line it makes the FIBAE7 that much more appealing. I love the balance in the F7 and I love the musicality in the F6 and the F4 is a good example of a quality V shape. Many options at Custom Art. None that break the bank relative to other companies.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back