flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Jun 21, 2020 at 6:41 AM Post #22,876 of 39,414
Does anyone have the Fibae 6? I'm going to buy the Fibae 7 (I tested the universal version and I'm going to buy the custom version) but I was interested in the Fibae 6 as a complement. I received the universal version on Friday, and it sounds very, very dark, with excessive bass and the treble was a bit lacking, but after the first baffling impressions, I was enjoying them for 4 hours straight, and tonight, 4 hours more. They aren't balanced, the bass is very, very heavy and they have a "trimmed treble", but they're strangely musical and I'm enjoying the Fibae 6. The problem is that I'm afraid of getting tired very soon.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2020 at 7:03 AM Post #22,877 of 39,414
Actually Joseph at MMR is making some custom sleeves for me and @doctorjuggles so the comfort should be even better (though I haven’t had troubles with it so far either)

The erl might remain a slightly better all-rounder because of the lighter, more reference-y signature. The Thummim does remain the more unique and impressive of the two to me though, it just depends on what you’re after. For me and if I may speak for @doctorjuggles, having the U18t/A18S already filled a large portion of the niche that the Erlky was meant for and made it somewhat of an overkill

Yeah, I agree with that. The decision was much easier for me because I already own the U18t which is not as good, but fills the same space in terms of sound signature. If I didn’t own that, it would be a much harder decision.
Ultimately the Thummim is unique. I expected, like @Wyville mentioned, for it to be Marmite (for those who don’t know, Marmite is a savoury spread that people either love or hate), but everyone I have direct contact with who has heard it has enjoyed it. I’m not everyone will love it of course, but it’s clearly got some fans now that more have heard it

Jun 21, 2020 at 7:04 AM Post #22,878 of 39,414
I never heard the Erlkönig, but from what I know about VE's sound I expect those will have a more conventional tuning then the Thummim. Joseph explained that they wanted to do something crazy out-of-the-box with MMR and the Thummim embody that unmistakably. They are unique with a genuinely spherical stage (sounds seems to come from every direction), a heavily coloured tuning with gobs of energy and yet they manage to produce a very high level of detail and texture. The term "marmite" comes to mind once again. They are completely unique and amazing if you like their sound, but can be off-putting if you don't, especially if you demo only briefly without adjusting to them. I love a good marmite IEM and am really enjoying these now, but if I had to put my own money down I would go for the Erlkönig. In part that has to do with the fact that I don't like the Thummim for classical music and I expect the Erlkönig will be a lot better there. I would be curious though to see how the Erlkönig would stack up against the Dream XLS for classical, as I think the Dream XLS do phenomenally well for that.

On a completely different note: Our puppy was born yesterday! :grinning:
Wyville thank you so much for this. Unfortunately, I no longer have my XLS, but I do have an Erlkonig arriving. Congratulations on the puppy.

Jun 21, 2020 at 7:11 AM Post #22,879 of 39,414
Wyville thank you so much for this. Unfortunately, I no longer have my XLS, but I do have an Erlkonig arriving. Congratulations on the puppy.
Very nice! I look forward to hearing your thoughts on the Erlkönig. Did you get the regular version or the limited edition?

Thanks! It is so exciting, just look at how cute they are:
pups.JPG

Jun 21, 2020 at 7:11 AM Post #22,880 of 39,414
Does anyone have the Fibae 6? I'm going to buy the Fibae 7 (I tested the universal version and I'm going to buy the custom version) but I was interested in the Fibae 6 as a complement. I received the universal version on Friday, and it sounds very, very dark, with excessive bass and the treble was a bit lacking, but after the first baffling impressions, I was enjoying them for 4 hours straight, and tonight, 4 hours more. They aren't balanced, the bass is very, very heavy and they have a "trimmed treble", but they're strangely musical and I'm enjoying the Fibae 6. The problem is that I'm afraid of getting tired very soon.
I have the FIBAE 6 and the FIBAE 7, both custom. The F6 grows on you quickly and is super engaging. I think it has some of the closest BA bass to that of a DD. I waffle between the F6 and F7 as my favorite in the Custom Art portfolio. Once your your brain adjusts, no burn-in needed, the treble is really what creates the enjoyment, because as you adjust to the bass you will find yourself hearing the details emerge.

Jun 21, 2020 at 7:28 AM Post #22,881 of 39,414
Yeah, I agree with that. The decision was much easier for me because I already own the U18t which is not as good, but fills the same space in terms of sound signature. If I didn’t own that, it would be a much harder decision.
Ultimately the Thummim is unique. I expected, like @Wyville mentioned, for it to be Marmite (for those who don’t know, Marmite is a savoury spread that people either love or hate), but everyone I have direct contact with who has heard it has enjoyed it. I’m not everyone will love it of course, but it’s clearly got some fans now that more have heard it

This is probably the most un-Australian thing I could say, but... I love Marmite more than vegemite. :scream:

Jun 21, 2020 at 7:35 AM Post #22,882 of 39,414
Very nice! I look forward to hearing your thoughts on the Erlkönig. Did you get the regular version or the limited edition?

Thanks! It is so exciting, just look at how cute they are:
Regular version, not incredibly easy to find at the moment. It has always been on my radar and I figure might as well go for it. I am sure if the signature doesn't check my boxes it won't be difficult to find a buyer. I am hoping it pairs well with the SP2000. When spending that kind of money a more "convential" tuning, yet TOTL sound is what I was going for. I don't really want to gamble $4500 on unique, that was my point with my previous post regarding the Thummim. The vast majority of folks here don't have the luxury of review samples, or reduced pricing for reviews. They need straight talk about these high ticket items.

I was not easy on VE8, but to be fair it was a demo and not a Custom, which is the way it is meant to be heard. There was something a little off, however I could tell what I thought it was supposed to sound like and I enjoyed the signature. After owning the EVE20, I have found Vision Ears tuning aligns with my preferences, thus the Erlkonig. The EVE20 is a safe, and put them in your ears and enjoy your playlists, enjoy the music listen. Wonderful mids, safe treble and attention getting bass. All day listen.

Custom Art deserves the attention because they have something for everyone across the FIBAE line, and their pricing is so in line. The FIBAE line is so unique, while the F7 may be their TOTL release, the other FIBAE's aren't lesser, they are different signatures. I would say from the F3 up everyone can find something. F3 is a more detailed, brighter focus, F4 is a well done V-Shape, F6 has decadent bass rivaling DD and is engaging, F7 has balance and is dynamic as hell. The only reason I mentioned this, in this conversation, is that there was a Custom Art question earlier.

Cute puppies, my companion is 10 years old and has just begun to start to show his age.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2020 at 8:52 AM Post #22,883 of 39,414
Regular version, not incredibly easy to find at the moment. It has always been on my radar and I figure might as well go for it. I am sure if the signature doesn't check my boxes it won't be difficult to find a buyer. I am hoping it pairs well with the SP2000. When spending that kind of money a more "convential" tuning, yet TOTL sound is what I was going for. I don't really want to gamble $4500 on unique, that was my point with my previous post regarding the Thummim. The vast majority of folks here don't have the luxury of review samples, or reduced pricing for reviews. They need straight talk about these high ticket items.

I was not easy on VE8, but to be fair it was a demo and not a Custom, which is the way it is meant to be heard. There was something a little off, however I could tell what I thought it was supposed to sound like and I enjoyed the signature. After owning the EVE20, I have found Vision Ears tuning aligns with my preferences, thus the Erlkonig. The EVE20 is a safe, and put them in your ears and enjoy your playlists, enjoy the music listen. Wonderful mids, safe treble and attention getting bass. All day listen.

Custom Art deserves the attention because they have something for everyone across the FIBAE line, and their pricing is so in line. The FIBAE line is so unique, while the F7 may be their TOTL release, the other FIBAE's aren't lesser, they are different signatures. I would say from the F3 up everyone can find something. F3 is a more detailed, brighter focus, F4 is a well done V-Shape, F6 has decadent bass rivaling DD and is engaging, F7 has balance and is dynamic as hell. The only reason I mentioned this, in this conversation, is that there was a Custom Art question earlier.

Cute puppies, my companion is 10 years old and has just begun to start to show his age.

I can only speak from my experience of using Ely uni, which has nearly identical shell design to Eve20, but similarly to Luna I found eartip selection with Ely to be crutial. Obviously, everybody's experience will be different due to our ear anatomy, but in addition to seal controlling the amount of bass, insertion depth here not only controls soundstage width but also the treble peaks. A number of people mentioned about variation of the sound between custom Ely and its uni demo, and I think it is related directly to eartips selection here.

The included Spinfits do a great job with a seal, but softer cap jams shells deeper into earcanal, making it feel like a custom fit. And to my ears it makes lower treble peaks to sound more vivid. I recently switched to azla sedna tips with a firmer bigger cap which pushes the shells more out of my ears, and got the fix I was looking for, even enough to knock U18t off the top spot on my list (though A18s could change that).

The reason I'm bringing this up, it could be a similar case with Erlky since you are waiting to receive it, especially considering how heavy the silver shells are. So, I'm curious to hear your thoughts about it when you receive it, especially the effect of eartips rolling.

Jun 21, 2020 at 9:14 AM Post #22,884 of 39,414
I can only speak from my experience of using Ely uni, which has nearly identical shell design to Eve20, but similarly to Luna I found eartip selection with Ely to be crutial. Obviously, everybody's experience will be different due to our ear anatomy, but in addition to seal controlling the amount of bass, insertion depth here not only controls soundstage width but also the treble peaks. A number of people mentioned about variation of the sound between custom Ely and its uni demo, and I think it is related directly to eartips selection here.

The included Spinfits do a great job with a seal, but softer cap jams shells deeper into earcanal, making it feel like a custom fit. And to my ears it makes lower treble peaks to sound more vivid. I recently switched to azla sedna tips with a firmer bigger cap which pushes the shells more out of my ears, and got the fix I was looking for, even enough to knock U18t off the top spot on my list (though A18s could change that).

The reason I'm bringing this up, it could be a similar case with Erlky since you are waiting to receive it, especially considering how heavy the silver shells are. So, I'm curious to hear your thoughts about it when you receive it, especially the effect of eartips rolling.
Thank you Alex. I will be happy to post comments and will certainly be aware of the ear tip. I have the black Sedna, firmer tips, as well as the Sedna lights. I love their tips.

You know I did an exhaustive ear tip comparison, for Luna, because having the X/Y axis properly positioned is the key to Luna. You can only hope someone reads it and is able to maximize their enjoyment in the product. When I see comments re. Luna saying bass light or treble I know they aren't using proper tips. With the Luna, the CP360 tips provided the best sq but the fit is Spinfit. The Sedna light tips are the most consistent and don't lag behind much in sq, it is really negligible, and I was critical listening for it.

Unfortunately, the cost makes it so prohibitive, in the case of Erlkonig, to hear many diverse comments or comparisons. I am excited to hear it and hope it pairs well with the SP2000, but honestly I haven't found anything that doesn't pair well with it.

Jun 21, 2020 at 9:16 AM Post #22,885 of 39,414
I have the FIBAE 6 and the FIBAE 7, both custom. The F6 grows on you quickly and is super engaging. I think it has some of the closest BA bass to that of a DD. I waffle between the F6 and F7 as my favorite in the Custom Art portfolio. Once your your brain adjusts, no burn-in needed, the treble is really what creates the enjoyment, because as you adjust to the bass you will find yourself hearing the details emerge.
Just what I needed to know. My impressions are very similar to your impressions.
Many thanks for your reply.

Jun 21, 2020 at 9:17 AM Post #22,886 of 39,414
Just what I needed to know. My impressions are very similar to your impressions.
Many thanks for your reply.
Glad to help!

Jun 21, 2020 at 9:23 AM Post #22,887 of 39,414
I never heard the Erlkönig, but from what I know about VE's sound I expect those will have a more conventional tuning then the Thummim. Joseph explained that they wanted to do something crazy out-of-the-box with MMR and the Thummim embody that unmistakably. They are unique with a genuinely spherical stage (sounds seems to come from every direction), a heavily coloured tuning with gobs of energy and yet they manage to produce a very high level of detail and texture. The term "marmite" comes to mind once again. They are completely unique and amazing if you like their sound, but can be off-putting if you don't, especially if you demo only briefly without adjusting to them. I love a good marmite IEM and am really enjoying these now, but if I had to put my own money down I would go for the Erlkönig. In part that has to do with the fact that I don't like the Thummim for classical music and I expect the Erlkönig will be a lot better there. I would be curious though to see how the Erlkönig would stack up against the Dream XLS for classical, as I think the Dream XLS do phenomenally well for that.

On a completely different note: Our puppy was born yesterday! :grinning:
The erlky is the best i've ever heard for classical music...and i listen to a lot of it.

It's also the best I've heard for literally any genre of music.

The erlky is indeed a "mainstream" tuning, albeit a truly remarkable one. In general, it is also completely inoffensive in its sound, not to mention adjustable.

The thummim, from what i've discussed with others who've heard it, goes for a more "fourte-like" sounds that goes completely in the opposite direction from safe and conventional.

really looking forward to hearing the thum.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2020 at 9:27 AM Post #22,888 of 39,414
I am seriously considering putting all my eggs in one IEM or rather two and call it a day! I already sold most of the iems I had, 2 iems is good enough, 3 becomes a crowd!

Already have the Luna which to me is exceptional with everything, but the bass is a bit lacking, now my eyes on Thummim or Erlky and be content!

Would love to own Erlky, but I am not a big fan of switches anymore, and with Thummim its the insert that looks painful!

But if Thummim goes well with every genre, then that would be my choice.

One big problem I have realized due to this lockdown is that I majorly used my 2ch systems more than the IEMs since it was so easy and quick to just turn on and sit back enjoy!

set it to 2 and forget it has switches.

Jun 21, 2020 at 9:33 AM Post #22,889 of 39,414
set it to 2 and forget it has switches.
You are the second person that has said that. That is good news, because my OCD with switches and filters makes me crazy.

Jun 21, 2020 at 9:39 AM Post #22,890 of 39,414
You are the second person that has said that. That is good news, because my OCD with switches and filters makes me crazy.
sometimes i switch to 1 for fun...bass is straight bonkers, but remains among the best bass i've ever heard (even vs. dds.)

it's good to have options...if you don't want to use the switches don't ever take off the faceplates, and simply forget the switches are there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back