flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Feb 2, 2020 at 9:59 AM Post #20,956 of 39,414
I’m definitely planning on trying out the Hugo2 when I get the Elysiums but it looks a bit too big for my purpose (and also above my target budget). As they say, it’s more transportable than portable, right?:).
Definitely on the transportable vs portable I agree

I’ve personally had amazing results with the SP1000M, but it doesn’t work so well with my other stuff as it just pushes the upper mids too far, to the point where the rest of the track loses most presence

maybe a Sony WM1A?

Feb 2, 2020 at 10:11 AM Post #20,957 of 39,414
I would however recommend the Acoustune 1695TI over both of these at that price point - they don’t have that meh BA timbre, way better bass with more slam and decay (without a boost in quantity), amazing midrange and treble too. Genuinely in love with them
Their look, build and sound seem to be top-notch, although I wish they had better seal. Since for me the main purpose of IEM/CIEM is noise insulation and transportability. For everything else I anyway use a full-sized can at home.

Feb 2, 2020 at 10:15 AM Post #20,958 of 39,414
Thanks! Really looking forward to receiving them.

I’ve been using a chord mojo with my phone for the past years and before that I think my last dedicated DAPs were the first iPod (the one with the firewire connection and the none touch wheel) and the very old Sony NW-MS7 so I guess quite a lot has change from then:).

If I had to answer I would say I’m looking for something flexible that could work with roon with a slightly warm signature and balanced to go with the stock Elysium cable. But actually, and maybe I’m being a little naive here, none of the above are really essential for me. I would like something that is small enough to bring easily around (one of the main reasons I bought the Elysiums was that I’m never really using my KSE1200, mainly because of the cumbersome additional amp). And a source that doesn’t bring down the Elysiums. That’s why I thought you guys would be the best to ask for advice!:)
The Dethronray DTR1 might then be interesting to check out. I have never heard it myself, but if you can check it out yourself that would always be the best option, so you can see if it works for you or not. Also the N6ii, since that one is Android (for Roon).
The LP6K is actually one of the DAP I was really interested in. But as you said, it’s super hard to find in the Netherlands! I can’t seem to find any shops that demos/sells it. And it’s even sold out on Musicteck. Can I ask where you got yours from?
I got mine straight from Lotoo. It is an EU unit, so if you like I could ask them where in the EU they sell it.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2020 at 10:24 AM Post #20,960 of 39,414
Blimey,

What's gone wrong with Head Fi? All my messages from my various threads I can now only read and see the first couple of words in my e mail box.
Hey buddy! Everything got updated and I expect it will take a while for them to iron out all the bugs. The last update they did was also not the easiest to adjust to.

Feb 2, 2020 at 10:25 AM Post #20,961 of 39,414
Their look, build and sound seem to be top-notch, although I wish they had better seal. Since for me the main purpose of IEM/CIEM is noise insulation and transportability. For everything else I anyway use a full-sized can at home.
I currently use mine with custom tips and they fit especially well - they don’t do that awkward sticking out as other iems with the same tips

The sound isolation is annoying though, it lets a lot of sound in

And yeah, What is up with headfi, this looks so wrong

Feb 2, 2020 at 10:35 AM Post #20,962 of 39,414
Oh nice, thanks a lot! I had never heard of the Dethonray DTR1. Looks very promising and I can go and demo it close to my work. Can’t wait to receive the Elysiums and try it out!

Do not do the DTR1 and Elysium combo. The tweeters somehow dont activate. Sounds dark and boomy with DTR

Subtonic Audio Cutting-edge artisanal in-ear monitors for discerning listeners. Proudly designed and manufactured in Singapore. Stay updated on Subtonic Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Subtonic.Audio https://www.instagram.com/subtonicaudio https://subtonic.audio support@subtonic.audio
Feb 2, 2020 at 10:47 AM Post #20,963 of 39,414
That's weird. Had the pleasure of testing Mim's DTR1 yesterday with my VE8 and found it very tasteful and dynamic.

Of course that's a full BA set compared to Elysium, but hey, you heard what you heard so there must be something amiss.

Feb 2, 2020 at 10:55 AM Post #20,964 of 39,414
Has anyone tried the UM Mentor V3+? I think it's really good. Might be the Asian Elysium, for me at least so. Worth a try. The dual tone cable looks a bit weird though. But ignoring the cable and connector, the SQ is very enjoyable, and good all-round.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2020 at 11:07 AM Post #20,965 of 39,414
The funny thing is that after reading loads of IEM reviews I got an impression that I am not sure what I want, but quite sure that it's not anything from Campfire Audio. Then I tried the CA Andromeda and, finally!!... that's exactly a little Arya: spatious, detailed, with flat bass response (fast non-overshadowing mid bass, deeply reaching sub-bass). They also fit easily and comfortably, due to small and ergonomic size. Not to mention these were the cheapest of all, something my wife got especially happy about :)
Nobody tell Ken Ball that someone thought that the andromeda was the cheapest :p

Feb 2, 2020 at 3:07 PM Post #20,969 of 39,414
maybe a Sony WM1A?
Yeah, also wanted to give the WM1A a go! Thanks!

The Dethronray DTR1 might then be interesting to check out. I have never heard it myself, but if you can check it out yourself that would always be the best option, so you can see if it works for you or not. Also the N6ii, since that one is Android (for Roon).
The shop that demos the DTR1 also sells the N6ii, so definitely giving it a try too!

I got mine straight from Lotoo. It is an EU unit, so if you like I could ask them where in the EU they sell it.
That would be great! Thanks a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back