flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Jan 16, 2020 at 12:52 PM Post #20,611 of 39,414
I was wondering, I really loved the Se846 in the past. Especially the bass texture. But they lacked air in the treble and felt claustrophobic. Has anyone managed to mod them or make them better. I read thing about DIY filters, but not sure it's as good as some say. Or has anyone found something approaching. I really wish Shure would put out the next model, like an improved 846. The KSE was completely different.

I did the blue filter mod on mine, it helped quite a bit. But i still find it a bit veiled.

I don't know about the blue filter mod, but from memory i tried the red, green and brown knowles dampers mentioned on the the mod thread and they definitely affect the sound, i preferred the brown filter it was closest to the stock blue filter but with a bit open and airy treble.

if you have them you should try the knowles dampers, if you are thinking of getting and modding them, iam not sure if it will be worth it for you .. but if you can try it first i think you might like it.

Jan 16, 2020 at 7:42 PM Post #20,613 of 39,414
I think you found something that hit your preferences. I find it hard to believe it's as good as a proper DAP, being ensconced in an RF nightmare. Then again, I still find it hard to believe how good the LGV30 sounds - and wonder why I continue to buy DAPs. So I don't entirely doubt you.
Yes, surely each preference influences a lot. I think that's true. Also the synergy between earphones. But for pure enjoyment, it's a player that I like best. So it's an alternative/option for someone looking for a new DAP or laptop that I'd suggest considering for home use.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2020 at 10:39 PM Post #20,614 of 39,414
Hey guys,
If you happen to be by the electronic store, try any ASUS laptop with SonicMaster written near its keyboard. I recommend the K401LB, it's old but I think the newer VivoBook or ZenBook models are OK too. It's hands down the best sounding audio player I've had/tried since 2016. Only the N8 came close with its warmer tube-like unique sound. But with the ASUS laptop there's no hiss listening with the Q4, and the sound is superb. Vocals are vivid clear, well-centered, and very balanced in tone. High in resolution, and combined with a quiet silent background. I couldn't ask more for home IEM listening. You can try listening with VLC, or YouTube on Firefox. I highly recommend giving it a try.

external-content-duckduckgo-com.jpg

1rf1q.png
NGL Asus laptops sound excellent. I have an asus strix scar ii that has a quad ess sabre dac, not sure what chipset, but it rivals my chord mojo in quality if it weren't for the occasional dsp ****ery that asus's gaming sound software does

Jan 17, 2020 at 9:40 AM Post #20,615 of 39,414
AA3F2DFA-C37F-4632-ADF8-E6B57181BF2C.jpeg

First day with TSMR Zodiac, a 12BA flagship from Tansio Mirai that does feature the same 3 switch tuning switches as the TSMR-5 I reviewed and a quite intriguing vent port with a filter, something usually found on dynamic bass drivers.

3F68FAB9-962C-4647-A7AD-E3285FD6ED11.jpeg

First impressions : the Zodiac is one very refined and smooth IEM, with superb resolution, textures and layering. Bass is well extended and the mid bass is spot on and the layering is outstanding it's an audiophile bass more than a bass head IEM but it can kick when called for so there is good transparency to the recording. The mids are very articulate and balanced, timbre is very accurate and delivery is smooth but the upper mids feature spot on bite. Treble has superb extension and is very refined, the delivery is smooth and timbre again spot on. Overall I find the Zodiac very engaging, and the performance level definitely puts Tansio Mirai on the map for me.

C3CDB5FD-FD20-46A2-A842-A282118A8BA1.jpeg

Jan 17, 2020 at 10:14 AM Post #20,616 of 39,414

First day with TSMR Zodiac, a 12BA flagship from Tansio Mirai that does feature the same 3 switch tuning switches as the TSMR-5 I reviewed and a quite intriguing vent port with a filter, something usually found on dynamic bass drivers.

First impressions : the Zodiac is one very refined and smooth IEM, with superb resolution, textures and layering. Bass is well extended and the mid bass is spot on and the layering is outstanding it's an audiophile bass more than a bass head IEM but it can kick when called for so there is good transparency to the recording. The mids are very articulate and balanced, timbre is very accurate and delivery is smooth but the upper mids feature spot on bite. Treble has superb extension and is very refined, the delivery is smooth and timbre again spot on. Overall I find the Zodiac very engaging, and the performance level definitely puts Tansio Mirai on the map for me.

So you're pretty happy with the E01 on the whole? I'm contemplating taking the plunge on it.

Jan 17, 2020 at 10:44 AM Post #20,617 of 39,414
So you're pretty happy with the E01 on the whole? I'm contemplating taking the plunge on it.

Yes I am! (even if I have PAW6000 on the way, but that's more of a reviewer's need for reference signature)

I was unreasonably considering N8 but went E01 instead and after comparing except for the driving power, this turns the N6ii into a baby N8 :p

Jan 17, 2020 at 12:16 PM Post #20,618 of 39,414
I hate switches, filters etc etc. Just design the iem how you want it to sound and release it. You can spend too much time experiementing with the sound and not enough time listening to the music (IMHO!)

Jan 17, 2020 at 2:37 PM Post #20,619 of 39,414
I hate switches, filters etc etc. Just design the iem how you want it to sound and release it. You can spend too much time experiementing with the sound and not enough time listening to the music (IMHO!)

I get where you come from with this but 3 switches is really straightforward and the baseline is consistent with the variants you can get so it's more like hardware EQ (not that I EQ just found my favorite combo and stuck with it).

Jan 17, 2020 at 2:56 PM Post #20,621 of 39,414
vGQSlc4.jpg

My current...and hopefully final state of the IEM rotation :)
Don't even know what they sound like, but I still love those Titan! :D

Very nice collection my good Sir!

Jan 17, 2020 at 3:11 PM Post #20,622 of 39,414
Ok guys, just to let you know that I am now the proud owner of both the Lotoo Paw Gold Touch :)

I've had the LPGT for about a week.
It's really good.
What? You want even more info?! Well, okkkk then :p

Due to a 'perfect storm' of a confluence of circumstances, I have been without any of my TOTL IEMs during the time I've had with the LPGT.
However, I've tried them with the Stealth Sonics U4, reviewed by our very own Deezel177 here:
https://theheadphonelist.com/stealth-sonics-u4-boom-boom-clap/2/
and my humble self here:
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/review/22212/

In brief, I summarised them as "versatile all-rounder with a rich, weighty sound signature and a superbly natural balance of detail and musicality".
I'd been listening to them with the iBasso DX160 for quite a while, and loving them.

The LPGT took them to a new level. The technical qualities, which I'd describe as being very accomplished for a mid-fi-priced IEM are taken to near TOTL levels.
It increases soundstage size and adds a bit more separation, which is definitely a good thing on the U4, as this was one of the few areas I would have wished to be improved on it.
Generally, it just adds a welcome touch of refinement and technicality to an already hugely enjoyable IEM.

The U4 is warm, rich and thick. It has great presentation of timbre, and - for me - a remarkable ability to draw out all the details in a track, but without distracting from the pure enjoyment of the music in the process. It's not a perfect IEM and may not be to everyone's taste, but if this sounds like something you might like, I personally would recommend it highly :)

I'm waiting for my TOTL IEM's to arrive, so that I can more comprehensively assess the LPGT's qualities.
But for now, it's brought joy to my ears with how it's enhanced the U4.
It's very fast in use, feels like a very premium product, and thus far, in keeping with it's name, seems to be very much exhibiting the 'Midas Touch' with everything it touches :p

Attachments

• Itsfit Fusion CIEM - Koi Lake 2.jpg
    Itsfit Fusion CIEM - Koi Lake 2.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Jan 17, 2020 at 3:33 PM Post #20,623 of 39,414
And, regarding the temporary lack of TOTL IEMs due to temporary swaps, repairs and so forth, I am delighted to announce that as of 4 hours ago, I am a fully paid-up, card-carrying member of the exclusive Itsfit Fusion club :D

A huge thanks to @Deezel177 for bringing these to our attention :D

I have a universal one, but with a custom design (Kien's gorgeous 'Koi Lake' design), which looks like this :heart_eyes::
Itsfit Fusion CIEM - Koi Lake 2.jpg
I've been listening for a couple of hours to tracks from a variety of genres, so far on my iBasso DX160.
My initial impressions are:
Wowwww...
When I first heard about them on here, I was excited and intrigued.
After reading a few reviews, I was not so sure.. They still sounded great, but I am something of a bass-head and thought I might be dissatisfied with their low end.
Also, from owning the U4 and EE Phantom, I've discovered I really rather enjoy richness, thickness and note weight in my sound signature.
I was worried these might be a bit light for my tastes in those areas.

However, they've proved to be pretty outstanding.
The bass is - of course - not at Legend X or Nemesis levels (they do have TWIN dynamic drivers after all!), but it is genuinely enough to keep me happy and not feel like I'm missing out at all.
So far, I'd say the Fusion are terrific all-rounders. They've sounded excellent on everything I've thrown at them.
Thus far, I'd say that with regards to their technical performance, they are very much TOTL. Everything is, for me, just spot-on. Totally on-point.
I was hugely impressed and grinning with surprise from the very first song I played on them (Buena Vista Social Club's 'Chan Chan' in HDTracks FLAC, in case you were wondering) :p

Anyway, a full review to follow in the coming days, but I just want to share the love a bit because I'm a Very Happy Man right now :)

Jan 17, 2020 at 3:57 PM Post #20,624 of 39,414

Agreed. I've found that IEMs with switches are rarely coherent across all of their settings. Just put the best profile forward and if people don't like it, they can always get something else.

Don't even know what they sound like, but I still love those Titan! :D

Very nice collection my good Sir!

Thanks! The internals are the same as the Fitear Air2 and soundwise there's just tuning difference from the material itself.

Jan 17, 2020 at 4:40 PM Post #20,625 of 39,414
And, regarding the temporary lack of TOTL IEMs due to temporary swaps, repairs and so forth, I am delighted to announce that as of 4 hours ago, I am a fully paid-up, card-carrying member of the exclusive Itsfit Fusion club :D

A huge thanks to @Deezel177 for bringing these to our attention :D

I have a universal one, but with a custom design (Kien's gorgeous 'Koi Lake' design), which looks like this :heart_eyes::

I've been listening for a couple of hours to tracks from a variety of genres, so far on my iBasso DX160.
My initial impressions are:
Wowwww...
When I first heard about them on here, I was excited and intrigued.
After reading a few reviews, I was not so sure.. They still sounded great, but I am something of a bass-head and thought I might be dissatisfied with their low end.
Also, from owning the U4 and EE Phantom, I've discovered I really rather enjoy richness, thickness and note weight in my sound signature.
I was worried these might be a bit light for my tastes in those areas.

However, they've proved to be pretty outstanding.
The bass is - of course - not at Legend X or Nemesis levels (they do have TWIN dynamic drivers after all!), but it is genuinely enough to keep me happy and not feel like I'm missing out at all.
So far, I'd say the Fusion are terrific all-rounders. They've sounded excellent on everything I've thrown at them.
Thus far, I'd say that with regards to their technical performance, they are very much TOTL. Everything is, for me, just spot-on. Totally on-point.
I was hugely impressed and grinning with surprise from the very first song I played on them (Buena Vista Social Club's 'Chan Chan' in HDTracks FLAC, in case you were wondering) :p

Anyway, a full review to follow in the coming days, but I just want to share the love a bit because I'm a Very Happy Man right now :)
Good stuff man! I have been in the exact same boat as you, in thinking they may not be for me but they might be, for the same reasons. Now I am really interested! Thanks for the info.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back