flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Jan 17, 2020 at 5:05 PM Post #20,626 of 39,414
Unity 5 with extra midrange juice to be shipped out soon!

7EDF308A-7D00-4669-8B2B-1CC125AA1DBF.jpeg

Jan 17, 2020 at 6:09 PM Post #20,627 of 39,414
So I must say I am impressed by the ISN AG8 cable, a silver cable with a smooth signature and nice strong lows... not unlike my memory of Thor II 8 wires no less build is nowhere near what you'd expect given the (200$) price. Impressed!

8EC14B8F-F750-43E5-A16F-3F70E0F5639C.jpeg

Jan 18, 2020 at 7:25 AM Post #20,628 of 39,414
Good stuff man! I have been in the exact same boat as you, in thinking they may not be for me but they might be, for the same reasons. Now I am really interested! Thanks for the info.

@Wes S Feel free to tell me what sound qualities you're hoping to have (or not to have) in the Fusion, and I'll be happy to respond with some quick impressions to address your specific concerns :)

I'm sure other Fusion owners more knowledgeable than I can also chip in with their thoughts!
People helping people, that's what it's all about here. Well, that and seemingly never-ending temptation :p

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2020 at 8:32 AM Post #20,629 of 39,414
@Wes S Feel free to tell me what sound qualities you're hoping to have (or not to have) in the Fusion, and I'll be happy to respond with some quick impressions to address your specific concerns :)

I'm sure other Fusion owners more knowledgeable that I can also chip in with their thoughts!
People helping people, that's what it's all about here. Well, that and seemingly never-ending temptation :p
Although I don't have the Dunu tips you mentioned, I did try the Symbio W tips and that really brought the midrange up!

Jan 18, 2020 at 8:45 AM Post #20,630 of 39,414
So I must say I am impressed by the ISN AG8 cable, a silver cable with a smooth signature and nice strong lows... not unlike my memory of Thor II 8 wires no less build is nowhere near what you'd expect given the (200$) price. Impressed!

I'm sure other Fusion owners more knowledgeable that I can also chip in with their thoughts!
Hi @Layman1, I love hard hitting impactful bass, and forward mids especially the vocals. I am the opposite of a treble head, and am quite sensitive to upper mids/lower treble spikes. I really want to get my first custom iem, and don't have an endless budget, so the Fusion has been on my radar. I like the price and I also love the koi fish design they are doing. Overall, I do like a warm and thicker sound more than most, so that is my concern with the Fusion, as well.

For reference, the sound of my K10U with an Athena 8 wire, is perfection. I am sure I would absolutely love the custom version of the K10U, but Noble's prices on converting to custom are a bit out of my price range.

Jan 18, 2020 at 8:48 AM Post #20,631 of 39,414
Hi @Layman1, I love hard hitting impactful bass, and forward mids especially the vocals. I am the opposite of a treble head, and am quite sensitive to upper mids/lower treble spikes. I really want to get my first custom iem, and don't have an endless budget, so the Fusion has been on my radar. I like the price and I also love the koi fish design they are doing. Overall, I do like a warm and thicker sound more than most, so that is my concern with the Fusion, as well.

For reference, the sound of my K10U with an Athena 8 wire, is perfection. I am sure I would absolutely love the custom version of the K10U, but Noble's prices on converting to custom are a bit out of my price range.
I think the Fusion misses your mark in quite a few ways. I wouldn’t call it thin but it’s definitely not thick, and it’s treble is also pretty forward, wouldn’t recommend it for someone sensitive

What I would recommend however is sending itsfit your K10 for a reshell

Jan 18, 2020 at 10:35 AM Post #20,632 of 39,414
Haha, @mvvRAZ beat me to it.. I was going to say too, then perhaps consider asking Itsfit to re-shell your K10U into a gorgeous looking custom?

I am not disagreeing with @mvvRAZ as such, but after reading some reviews and impressions, I too was worried that I would find the sound too thin.

In fact, based on my first impressions at least, I've found it to actually have a very enjoyable amount of note thickness and warmth, but it is balanced out very well with the rest of the sound signature, to avoid any muddiness or congestion or excessive intimacy. I actually felt it struck a very good balance between the things I like about (e.g.) the Stealth Sonics U4 (warmth, note weight and thickness, timbre etc), and something like the big soundstage and separation and technical performance that I enjoy so much with the Stealth Sonics U9, EE Zeus, Legend X (to some extent) etc.

It's too soon for me to comment on the treble I think.
It's strange; I didn't find it to be at all sharp (which surprised me too) at any time.
However, I was feeling a degree of fatigue after a few hour's listening, but then I was also in a stressful environment with frequent interruptions at the time, so it may well have been just because of that..

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2020 at 11:35 AM Post #20,633 of 39,414
Haha, @mvvRAZ beat me to it.. I was going to say too, then perhaps consider asking Itsfit to re-shell your K10U into a gorgeous looking custom?

I am not disagreeing with @mvvRAZ as such, but after reading some reviews and impressions, I too was worried that I would find the sound too thin.

In fact, based on my first impressions at least, I've found it to actually have a very enjoyable amount of note thickness and warmth, but it is balanced out very well with the rest of the sound signature, to avoid any muddiness or congestion or excessive intimacy. I actually felt it struck a very good balance between the things I like about (e.g.) the Stealth Sonics U4 (warmth, note weight and thickness, timbre etc), and something like the big soundstage and separation and technical performance that I enjoy so much with the Stealth Sonics U9, EE Zeus, Legend X (to some extent) etc.

It's strange; I didn't find it to be at all sharp (which surprised me too) at any time.
However, I was feeling a degree of fatigue after a few hour's listening, but then I was also in a stressful environment with frequent interruptions at the time, so it may well have been just because of that..
The Fusion is dead neutral when it comes to its midrange I think. For the most part I'm used to rather thick, or even overly thick IEMs, so in comparison, it can be on the thinner side

I personally think it's in a similar tier as the K10, but isn't that much of a clear upgrade. Going down the custom path would probably make a larger difference than an entirely new IEM of similar performance

Jan 18, 2020 at 11:47 AM Post #20,634 of 39,414
Thanks for the info fellas! I love the idea of having Itsfit do a custom job on my K10U, and most likely will be going that route. The last 2 designs of Koi fish I have seen from ItsFit, are incredible looking.

Jan 18, 2020 at 12:41 PM Post #20,636 of 39,414
I didnt find the Fusions sharp at all, but I can understand why @mvvRAZ says its thin sounding, which in a way I agree to. It sounds quite good to be honest, I do wish the midrange was a bit forward and had more body.
The treble depends a lot on the cable in the case of the Fusion I think. Currently running it with the Ares II and I really like the combination. When running it with brighter cables it gets a bit much though, even for me haha

Jan 18, 2020 at 12:51 PM Post #20,637 of 39,414
The treble depends a lot on the cable in the case of the Fusion I think. Currently running it with the Ares II and I really like the combination. When running it with brighter cables it gets a bit much though, even for me haha
If you're saying its sharp, then it must be reallllllllllllllllllllllly sharp :p But you could be correct, because right now temporarily i am pairing it with Leo II and that does not accentuate brightness, instead adds more body. Waiting for my Prudence, heard that goes well with these kind of IEMs.

Jan 18, 2020 at 12:52 PM Post #20,638 of 39,414
If you're saying its sharp, then it must be reallllllllllllllllllllllly sharp :p But you could be correct, because right now temporarily i am pairing it with Leo II and that does not accentuate brightness, instead adds more body. Waiting for my Prudence, heard that goes well with these kind of IEMs.
You’ll love Eletech’s stuff I’m sure!

Jan 18, 2020 at 6:04 PM Post #20,639 of 39,414

Agree. It sounds lush with very good treble extension although not as shimmery as Z1R. Now I’m doing some burn-in (close to 50 hours) and pairing it with Norne Silvergarde SX and Tennmak Whirlwind. Mid-bass has tighten (a bit bloated at the beginning), treble has a bit more sparkle, and midrange a touch more forward. Timbre is not as natural as Z1R or i4, but still good. Overall it’s warmer than Trio or Z1R, but at the right amount. So far I’m a happy camper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back