flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Jan 13, 2020 at 1:07 PM Post #20,476 of 39,414
What I really enjoy about HeadFi is that everything is divided by threads, so the discussions start with some assumptions already established

Yup. Head Fi gets a lot of flak in some cases by people who dismiss all instances of groups of people getting excited over a piece of gear as "hype"...but it's really nice at the end of the day to have a place/thread to visit where you can share your affection for a particular IEM or whatever with people who feel the same way you do and not have to justify your impressions.

Jan 13, 2020 at 1:59 PM Post #20,477 of 39,414
I guess it's a great DAP for reviewers, true reference and apparently the new WM1A... and less expensive than LPGT... I still have to pay for it, as far as I am concerned, although I must say I appreciate Andrew at Musicteck helping me a bit!

I keep true to @mvvRAZ, "I don't get broke, I stay broke" lol...
Saving for me is being unable to spend money I’ve already spent

Jan 13, 2020 at 2:04 PM Post #20,478 of 39,414
Yup. Head Fi gets a lot of flak in some cases by people who dismiss all instances of groups of people getting excited over a piece of gear as "hype"...but it's really nice at the end of the day to have a place/thread to visit where you can share your affection for a particular IEM or whatever with people who feel the same way you do and not have to justify your impressions.
Hype translates into tangible performance though. Typical Chi-Fi hype aside, if there's a rather large group of people shelling out thousands on a pair of earphones there's usually at least something there

Jan 13, 2020 at 2:10 PM Post #20,479 of 39,414
Translation into tangibility of performance is directly proportional to the legitimacy of the hype:

If hype is real -> tangibility of performance is also real

If hype is marketing or trolling -> w.t.f.?

raz's hifi math

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2020 at 2:17 PM Post #20,480 of 39,414
Translation into tangibility of performance is directly proportional to the legitimacy of the hype:

If hype is real -> tangibility of performance is also real

If hype is marketing or trolling -> w.t.f.?

raz's hifi math

Basically time tells all regarding legitimacy of hype but in the short term I always like to demo before buying for that reason.

Jan 13, 2020 at 2:18 PM Post #20,481 of 39,414
always demo before buying...no real smart way around it.

best you can do is buy and resell for a (hopefully) slight loss.

Jan 13, 2020 at 2:23 PM Post #20,482 of 39,414
always demo before buying...no real smart way around it.

best you can do is buy and resell for a (hopefully) slight loss.

That's actually super smart. For me I can't tell if I'm going to like something in the long term by virtue of a superficial demo in a store or something-- I need to spend some real time with it. Buying used is a great idea as you can spend a couple weeks with something and then, generally, sell it at a minimal loss if you like it enough to want to buy it new or don't want to keep it at all.

Jan 13, 2020 at 2:38 PM Post #20,484 of 39,414
I feel most companies are really good about demo’ing stuff now, especially IEMs. There hasnt been one company so far that I have been interested in that hasn’t offered a demo. After buying the Vega I will never blind buy again.

Surprised you bought the Vega...you don't seem like a basshead.

Jan 13, 2020 at 2:41 PM Post #20,486 of 39,414
I like a lot of different style of IEMs tbh, I used to have a custom Legend X too which I really liked and only sold due to my A18t taking all the playing time. I just prefer my treble presence more but had to go through some hurdles to get there.

I just bought an LX and I love it...it's not an all rounder by any means but it's a great secondary for those times when I crave a pounding club-type sound.

Jan 13, 2020 at 3:35 PM Post #20,488 of 39,414
If the budget was around 3000 USD lets say, what would be the absolute best IEM for classical, orchestral and instrumental based music?

Probably VE8 (from what I've heard). The Legend X is AMAZING with orchestral music too...the power and body it brings to the low end of an orchestra has to be felt to be believed.

Jan 13, 2020 at 4:12 PM Post #20,490 of 39,414
If the budget was around 3000 USD lets say, what would be the absolute best IEM for classical, orchestral and instrumental based music?
I’ve said it before but I don’t think anything can beat the elysium in that respect, given it’s forward and sparkly treble, texture of the midrange, subbass lift and sheer detail and technicality. Pure god mode

Users who are viewing this thread

Back