flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Jan 13, 2020 at 6:02 AM Post #20,461 of 39,414
oh u use hugo2 then there is no dap upgrade for u, only calyx m for a different signature but that is not an upgrade more of a side grade. As to me calyx sounds better than any of my daps, its the best signature period for me . YMMV

I had sp2000 sold it
I had sp1000m sold it
I had hugo2 sold it
I have ibasso dx220 nah its just meh

is it the same for me who is rocking a Mojo.

Jan 13, 2020 at 6:06 AM Post #20,462 of 39,414
For a cheap $250, get the smsl sp200 and prepare to hear angels xD. Honestly the rme is amazing for iems but not so much for full size. The sp200 is also amazing with iems, just used it to audition the fir audio lineup
Certainly it punches way above its price point! Will look into that one, also checking out topping D90 on the side. What i love about RME is the PEQ, you dont find that in many amp/dac and is so well engineered!

Jan 13, 2020 at 6:50 AM Post #20,463 of 39,414
For a cheap $250, get the smsl sp200 and prepare to hear angels xD. Honestly the rme is amazing for iems but not so much for full size. The sp200 is also amazing with iems, just used it to audition the fir audio lineup

'Currently reviewing the SP200, and couldn't agree more. While it doesn't have the largest stage in the world, its background blackness, left-right separation, imaging precision and dynamic range are all absolutely wonderful. A really precise, energetic amp that doesn't colour too fervently at the same time.

Jan 13, 2020 at 7:06 AM Post #20,464 of 39,414
The Hugo 2 is such godmode... I tried it in a store in Dubai and was left speechless. The dude then gave me a massive discount, was so happy

The only trouble is that it is a bit too powerful for a lot of stuff like the 64/Noble IEMs, but in those cases I use the RME ADI 2. With the Elysium the synergy is insane

I've been considering an IEMatch, maybe that can help but I'm worried about it messing up the sound quality

I'll have a look at the Calyx, thanks for the suggestion :)

Hi Raz,

I was a bit confused with which source you were referring to when describing the Elysium synergy. Was it with the RME or the Hugo2?

Jan 13, 2020 at 7:57 AM Post #20,465 of 39,414
Hi Raz,

I was a bit confused with which source you were referring to when describing the Elysium synergy. Was it with the RME or the Hugo2?
Hugo 2, by far :)

If I'm to rank my three sources on Elysium synergies it would be Hugo2 > SP1000M > RME > AK SR15

Jan 13, 2020 at 8:54 AM Post #20,466 of 39,414
Hugo 2, by far :)

If I'm to rank my three sources on Elysium synergies it would be Hugo2 > SP1000M > RME > AK SR15

Ah thanks for the clarification ! I will be placing an order for the Elysium soon, and keeping an eye out for gear down the line that would pair well with it. I'm glad it's been a good pair with the Hugo2, as that sounds like a very good transportable rig. At the moment I am using a Woo Audio WA8 thru my PC and a Lotoo Paw 6000.

Jan 13, 2020 at 9:00 AM Post #20,467 of 39,414
Ah thanks for the clarification ! I will be placing an order for the Elysium soon, and keeping an eye out for gear down the line that would pair well with it. I'm glad it's been a good pair with the Hugo2, as that sounds like a very good transportable rig. At the moment I am using a Woo Audio WA8 thru my PC and a Lotoo Paw 6000.
I'm afraid I haven't tried the Ely with either of those :/

It does work quite well with both warm and bright sources, as the midrange is super solid and you can choose to either "upgrade" the lows or the highs.. or both :p

Jan 13, 2020 at 10:04 AM Post #20,468 of 39,414

I'll be able to sound in on the PAW 6000 pairing relatively soon. :wink:

Jan 13, 2020 at 11:47 AM Post #20,470 of 39,414
oh u use hugo2 then there is no dap upgrade for u, only calyx m for a different signature but that is not an upgrade more of a side grade. As to me calyx sounds better than any of my daps, its the best signature period for me . YMMV

I had sp2000 sold it
I had sp1000m sold it
I had hugo2 sold it
I have ibasso dx220 nah its just meh
Try the Luxury and Precision Lp6 Ti. Only 4500$ and weighs a ton. But beats everything I've heard. Too bad about the price.

I remember Calyx being incredibly full bodied.

Jan 13, 2020 at 11:54 AM Post #20,471 of 39,414
Jan 13, 2020 at 11:58 AM Post #20,473 of 39,414
That's ironic because I have one that is currently in Paris. :p

Oh my what a crazy world! Found one second hand then?
Got one new from Musicteck myself.

I am getting this but later this year my bonus will probably go into a LPGT :p

Jan 13, 2020 at 12:11 PM Post #20,474 of 39,414
Oh my what a crazy world! Found one second hand then?
Got one new from Musicteck myself.

I am getting this but later this year my bonus will probably go into a LPGT :p
Seems everyone is getting one right now! I have a review unit coming in directly from Lotoo, but it seems to be doing the scenic route from China to India to Dubai and now France. Seen more of the world than I have. At least it did not take as long as some of the parcels I sent out myself. I swear PostNL shipped the M11 Pro to the US by rowing boat! :D

Jan 13, 2020 at 12:57 PM Post #20,475 of 39,414
I guess it's a great DAP for reviewers, true reference and apparently the new WM1A... and less expensive than LPGT... I still have to pay for it, as far as I am concerned, although I must say I appreciate Andrew at Musicteck helping me a bit!

I keep true to @mvvRAZ, "I don't get broke, I stay broke" mantra... lol...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back