flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Feb 21, 2019 at 7:24 AM Post #14,686 of 39,414
9f1e3f8bly1fz409cdmx1j212w0px4qq.jpg

Latest invention from your friendly local audio guy Larry Ho. 21 BA, bunch of breakthrough techs and will be delivered on time with only 6000 bucks.
What a bargain.

Where do I sent my money?

Feb 21, 2019 at 7:26 AM Post #14,687 of 39,414
So it's the 47th anniversary but the name is project 71?
Is it inflation or they're just afraid that if they named it project 47 it would just jump up in a suit and kill everyone?

71 refers to the year 1971 when it was established, I think?

Feb 21, 2019 at 11:42 AM Post #14,688 of 39,414
Where do I sent my money?

Send it directly to Larry. He already spent $1.6million he collected from his crowdfunding campaign almost 5 years ago (Geek Wave DAP that was never delivered). This time he stepped it up to $6k iem (or whatever the price tag of this project), Larry is running low on cash, help the brother out :D

Feb 21, 2019 at 5:15 PM Post #14,689 of 39,414
@Wyville
Thoughts on the treble peak and lacking in female vocals that @EagleWings mentioned in the Phantom review? Especially interested whether you found those as being issues with the Leo II pair up. I noticed that the Leo II was put against male vocals but female vocals were not mentioned.

Feb 21, 2019 at 7:15 PM Post #14,690 of 39,414
Send it directly to Larry. He already spent $1.6million he collected from his crowdfunding campaign almost 5 years ago (Geek Wave DAP that was never delivered). This time he stepped it up to $6k iem (or whatever the price tag of this project), Larry is running low on cash, help the brother out :D
And I was angry with the $85K Asius Technologies raised a couple years ago and haven’t delivered either :astonished:

Feb 21, 2019 at 7:57 PM Post #14,691 of 39,414
Earsonics didn’t wait long after the Grace... Purple is the new black :p
I remember the days of the Velvet, where I first “met” @flinkenick on the earsonics thread and got to enjoy his impressions :D

Nice to see Earsonics tackle a sequel to Velvet and Velvet v2 with a switch tunable model... now not everybody will be too happy with the price doubling (1200€) but given what they did with the Grace now I am curious!

http://www.earsonics.com/in-ear-monitors/en/purple/

9E6242CD-7AC3-4CD0-A9B2-90E4E5FAEB92.jpeg

01AC4C8A-7B94-4B10-A8FD-E762BF82CBD4.jpeg

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2019 at 11:43 PM Post #14,692 of 39,414
And I was angry with the $85K Asius Technologies raised a couple years ago and haven’t delivered either :astonished:

I didn't know they did another campaign after the one they did with 64 Audio. I got my U12 during that kickstarter campaign and has been using it ever since. Having compared the ADEL modules vs the APEX modules using the same U12, I must say the ADEL modules are better in terms of pressure relief & ear fatigue. The difference isn't huge but I remember reading people who were having tinnitus benefiting from the ADEL modules but not so much from the APEX ones.

I really think it's time for someone to acquire the ADEL tech from Asius because it seems like they have trouble working with other IEM manufacturers.

Feb 22, 2019 at 12:14 AM Post #14,693 of 39,414
I didn't know they did another campaign after the one they did with 64 Audio. I got my U12 during that kickstarter campaign and has been using it ever since. Having compared the ADEL modules vs the APEX modules using the same U12, I must say the ADEL modules are better in terms of pressure relief & ear fatigue. The difference isn't huge but I remember reading people who were having tinnitus benefiting from the ADEL modules but not so much from the APEX ones.

I really think it's time for someone to acquire the ADEL tech from Asius because it seems like they have trouble working with other IEM manufacturers.
From what I've read, I believe Apex wasn't designed with pressure relief in mind and that it was rapidly developed by 64 Audio when they were ending their partnership with Asius. Honestly though, I'm not sure how much pressure relief matters in universals especially if the tips don't seal as tightly.

That being said, I haven't heard the Adel tech and maybe it sounds better?

The Apex modules, even if they don't relieve as much pressure as the Adel modules, have a great effect on customs. I made a plug out of one of my Apex modules, it increased the sensation of pressure a lot greater than the m20 module.

Have you heard the IER-Z1R yet? I couldn't find it at My IEM yesterday.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2019 at 12:51 AM Post #14,694 of 39,414
From what I've read, I believe Apex wasn't designed with pressure relief in mind and that it was rapidly developed by 64 Audio when they were ending their partnership with Asius. Honestly though, I'm not sure how much pressure relief matters in universals especially if the tips don't seal as tightly.

The Apex modules, even if they don't relieve as much pressure as the Adel modules, have a great effect on customs. I made a plug out of one of my Apex modules, it increased the sensation of pressure a lot greater than the m20 module.

Have you heard the IER-Z1R yet? I couldn't find it at My IEM yesterday.

I think the APEX and ADEL modules sound the same on my U12 and I have both the S1/B1 Adel modules as well as the m15/m20 Apex modules. I sense a little bit of ear fatigue using the APEX modules after long listening sessions but less than that when using the ADEL modules. Again, not a huge difference for me, just that slight edge to the ADEL.

I have not tried the Z1R because my budget is running low after a recent Chord Qutest purchase and I am still expecting to pay up for the Wooaudio WA11 next month. I don't want to get that Z1R sound stuck in my head or any other IEMs' for now .

I think most stores in Taipei only received a few Z1R units last week so it's unlikely these stores will have any demo units available until the next batch. However, I think some people say they have seen the Z1R demo units appear in various Sony stores around the city. You might be able to find one in a Sony store right now. Might even get to listen to a DMP-Z1 with it.

Feb 22, 2019 at 1:19 AM Post #14,695 of 39,414

LOL! This made my evening :)

-Collin-

Feb 22, 2019 at 2:10 AM Post #14,697 of 39,414
Do you use it with IEMs? I wasn't aware they were good for that

It's for my desktop rig to pair with a THX AAA 789 amp. For IEMs, a Hugo 2 will do fine but you have to use single-ended cables which is why I opted to purchase a WA11 since most of my IEM cables are now balanced and I don't want to convert them to single-ended.

I sometimes use IEMs on my desktop rig (lowest gain of course) and you really see how well your IEM scales.

Feb 22, 2019 at 2:37 AM Post #14,698 of 39,414

The pressure relief thing of Adel was not apparent, when I used to own the Adel iems. It was after I sold the Adel IEMs and went back to a non-Adel universal, I did have a feel that there was some pressure build up. But I can’t tell with 100% certainty though, as there are a lot of other factors in play here. In terms of SQ, Adel did reduce the resolution, transparency and note weight, a conclusion I drew after comparing my Zeus-XIV-Adel with a non-Adel Zeus-XIV. In some ways, I do miss Adel, but the loss in SQ was not something I was able to make peace with.

Feb 22, 2019 at 3:02 AM Post #14,699 of 39,414
@Wyville
Thoughts on the treble peak and lacking in female vocals that @EagleWings mentioned in the Phantom review? Especially interested whether you found those as being issues with the Leo II pair up. I noticed that the Leo II was put against male vocals but female vocals were not mentioned.
I thought the mention of the treble peak was interesting because I used to be a bit of a treblephobe myself, but I have never had any issues with the Phantom. I can wear them all day long without a hint of fatigue. There is somewhat of a lift that adds a bit of bite, but I personally love it. It is a bit odd though because I can never really find what in the treble I am sensitive to. I can't for instance listen too long to Noble's IEMs, the Trident especially was instant fatigue for me, yet I have hardly any issues with the Rhapsodio Galaxy V2, which are real treble-head IEMs.

The Phantom do favour male vocals over female, but personally I find the balance, especially with Leo II, perfectly fine. But I think it is important to point out that most of my listening has always been with warm and smooth IEMs, whereas @EagleWings has experienced a much wider range of signatures. I recently spoke to him about that and have been looking around to gain more experience with different signatures as my 'internal reference' (so to speak) is not exactly neutral.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back