flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Feb 22, 2019 at 7:47 AM Post #14,701 of 39,414
What's the best way to deal with music that's mastered a bit hot?
I usually deal with it like this

giphy.gif

Feb 22, 2019 at 8:00 AM Post #14,702 of 39,414
rai-penta-05.jpg
https://www.mezeaudio.com/collections/all/products/rai-penta

Meze Rai Penta looks really gorgeous. Haven't heard the sound...

It will be awesome if there is a review shoot-out for hybrids IEMs and contenders are:-

Rai Penta
Campfire Solaris
Sony IER-Z1R
64 Audio N8
AAW 900(?)

Did I miss any other?

Feb 22, 2019 at 8:37 AM Post #14,704 of 39,414
@chungjun The Rai Penta is high on my radar, waiting for it to be available in Europe, hopefully we won’t be served last...

Feb 22, 2019 at 8:44 AM Post #14,705 of 39,414
Feb 22, 2019 at 8:50 AM Post #14,706 of 39,414
The pressure relief thing of Adel was not apparent, when I used to own the Adel iems. It was after I sold the Adel IEMs and went back to a non-Adel universal, I did have a feel that there was some pressure build up. But I can’t tell with 100% certainty though, as there are a lot of other factors in play here. In terms of SQ, Adel did reduce the resolution, transparency and note weight, a conclusion I drew after comparing my Zeus-XIV-Adel with a non-Adel Zeus-XIV. In some ways, I do miss Adel, but the loss in SQ was not something I was able to make peace with.

Give me SQ or give me deaf :muscle:

https://www.mezeaudio.com/collections/all/products/rai-penta

Meze Rai Penta looks really gorgeous. Haven't heard the sound...

It will be awesome if there is a review shoot-out for hybrids IEMs and contenders are:-

Rai Penta
Campfire Solaris
Sony IER-Z1R
64 Audio N8
AAW 900(?)

Did I miss any other?

It seems like Meze just can't not create amazing designs for all their gear. I loved the Empyrean I heard at CanJam... wish I had remembered to try the Penta. Doh!

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2019 at 10:15 AM Post #14,711 of 39,414
All initial feedback qualifies it as warm and below Solaris technically so I am less excited. Looks cool though.

Well it looks like it’s more laid back from impressions I have read, always wary of “below” and “above” even if technicalities can sometimes give us a winner it doesn’t tell the whole story :p Sure Solaris are going to be tough to “beat” in terms of balanced fun all rounder...

Feb 22, 2019 at 10:17 AM Post #14,712 of 39,414
The Rai Penta is high on my radar, waiting for it to be available in Europe, hopefully we won’t be served last...

Enjoyed reading your review of Solaris @davidmolliere and certainly am looking forward to read your write-up of the Rai Penta if you do.

All initial feedback qualifies it as warm and below Solaris technically so I am less excited. Looks cool though.

Yeah, generally that's also the impression I gather from the initial feedback too. I would want to give them a listen when I get the chance to see how well they fare. Aesthetic and ergonomic wise, they do seems spot on. Sound wise, I certainly hope they are competent and competitive too.

Noble Khan
Jomo Trinity

Shoot-out for hybrid (with electrostatic) category also? Why not right? No big deal for the likes of Master Content Producer @Deezel177 :L3000:

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2019 at 10:20 AM Post #14,713 of 39,414
Well it looks like it’s more laid back from impressions I have read, always wary of “below” and “above” even if technicalities can sometimes give us a winner it doesn’t tell the whole story :p Sure Solaris are going to be tough to “beat” in terms of balanced fun all rounder...
I was just hoping the Mezze would get everybody super hyped. Usually new pretty IEMs get overhyped. And if you look carefully, it seems like there was not much exceptional new stuff at Canjam. Solaris seemed to stay among the best. Some people loved the Trinity but I tried and meeeh, some loved the Khan but whatever. I was putting my hopes on Z1R and Penta but they don't seem to have moved the crowd.

Feb 22, 2019 at 10:26 AM Post #14,715 of 39,414
I was just hoping the Mezze would get everybody super hyped. Usually new pretty IEMs get overhyped. And if you look carefully, it seems like there was not much exceptional new stuff at Canjam. Solaris seemed to stay among the best. Some people loved the Trinity but I tried and meeeh, some loved the Khan but whatever. I was putting my hopes on Z1R and Penta but they don't seem to have moved the crowd.

I was meh too with Trinity, pretty underwhelmed when I auditioned but I didn’t have a lot of time.... Never heard Khan and I don’t know anyone who had an audition.

Things is, Meze has not done a lot to promote and give visibility about availability, seems like the Empyrean is the flagship they want to promote first. There might be hype on the Asian market where it’s available but we might not know... Interestingly people have enquired about the price and it should be roughly the same as Earsonics Purple (1100/1200€)

I they want to hype the thing, Meze should just send me a review sample, I’ll change my nickname to HyperMan :p

The interesting one these days is the P71. If you like warm tuning.

This is one I’d love to have a listen to, but it’s a limited edition right? And sold out or not yet? Not much info about where you can get them either, DITA website doesn’t advertise :-\

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back