flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Feb 20, 2019 at 6:05 PM Post #14,671 of 39,414
Feb 20, 2019 at 6:17 PM Post #14,672 of 39,414
My Phantom Review: https://twister6.com/2019/02/20/empire-ears-phantom/

P.S: Some of you may not like/agree with what I wrote

nice writeup , and i like the ballsy aspect of telling it like it feels to you 100% - i am tired of seeing reviewers where everything they ''review'' is the best thing ever (there is one reviewer especially , which besides finding everything amazing he also does quite lazy reviews - always baffled why would he get free samples for such low quality reviews - but let me not name him for not wanting to become unpleasant...)

great writeup , hope the accident is way behind you now

cheers

Feb 20, 2019 at 6:57 PM Post #14,673 of 39,414
My Phantom Review: https://twister6.com/2019/02/20/empire-ears-phantom/

P.S: Some of you may not like/agree with what I wrote
What a day when a disclaimer is needed that reads "Warning subjective!"

Definitely worth focusing on the lacking areas you mentioned when I go in for my 4th demo of the Phantoms. Also going to make some changes to the demo playlist especially for female vocals and the treble peak to see how that pans out. My list has mostly been male vocals and if memory is correct those are heavenly. Those 2 are probably going to be a make or break for me.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2019 at 9:07 PM Post #14,676 of 39,414
i realise i really should post this on the trading forum, but since i feel i know ppl on this thread “more/better”, here goes:

if anybody wants to swap their dita spc 2 pin with my unused dita spc mmcx*, please pm me.

i have largely rid myself of all my mmcx iems, and of the ones that remain, they do not benefit from the dita.

*it’s unused because it’s a new cable that i received from dita via RMA due to a faulty mmcx connector.

Feb 21, 2019 at 12:18 AM Post #14,677 of 39,414
@pithyginger63 That's the FMJ Layla though. Not sure that's the one you want. I was alerted to a universal Layla a couple weeks ago by a Canadian Head-fier, saw the message to find the listing removed only about 8 hours after they sent the message.

Feb 21, 2019 at 12:35 AM Post #14,678 of 39,414
Feb 21, 2019 at 12:37 AM Post #14,679 of 39,414
Last edited:
Feb 21, 2019 at 12:56 AM Post #14,680 of 39,414
@pithyginger63 That's the FMJ Layla though. Not sure that's the one you want. I was alerted to a universal Layla a couple weeks ago by a Canadian Head-fier, saw the message to find the listing removed only about 8 hours after they sent the message.

The internals are completely the same, so it won't matter if reshelled. But with custom sleeves, the extra weight may be cumbersome.

Feb 21, 2019 at 2:08 AM Post #14,681 of 39,414
it would really be hard for me to buy any of the V1 Sirens after owning the Angie. I did love the tuning with pots at 1PM but dang if my ears didn't hurt after an hour. Just couldn't abide the beastly size for that long a time.

Having seen a few posts about reshelling unis, I was happy to see someone (can't remember who) that got theirs back after a reshell with very similar tuning (they measured the before and after). I would have thought that reshelling would destroy the intricacies of the intended tuning given the dampers, tube length/type etc. would all have to be matched perfectly.

Feb 21, 2019 at 2:32 AM Post #14,682 of 39,414
it would really be hard for me to buy any of the V1 Sirens after owning the Angie. I did love the tuning with pots at 1PM but dang if my ears didn't hurt after an hour. Just couldn't abide the beastly size for that long a time.

Having seen a few posts about reshelling unis, I was happy to see someone (can't remember who) that got theirs back after a reshell with very similar tuning (they measured the before and after). I would have thought that reshelling would destroy the intricacies of the intended tuning given the dampers, tube length/type etc. would all have to be matched perfectly.

Proper reshellers preserve all the original internals, including the dampers, tubes, etc. And, if the reshelled unit measures differently, they'd make slight adjustments (to damper positioning, especially) to ensure the FR is as tight as possible.

This is what a JHAudio Lola looks like pre-reshell by Naga Audio:

22089703_1931988053790685_3301926292834375385_n.jpg

Feb 21, 2019 at 2:42 AM Post #14,683 of 39,414
aha, it was you! good deal, thanks for the info. Do you feel they nailed the tuning? Even if there were slight differences with the measurements, do you feel the overall tuning was retained? And was it retained without any added treble spikes or other "sins of commission" that you could hear? Phase alignment preserved?

originally, this was the read that prevented me from seeking a reshell of my Angies. I may have posted this before, but maybe not on this thread:
https://cymbacavum.com/2014/06/14/universal-to-custom-reshell-things-to-know-beforehand/

Feb 21, 2019 at 4:13 AM Post #14,684 of 39,414
Yea, I was feeling very delicate to post this review. Nic is a very good friend and Jack went out of his way to help me once in the past. Shortly after ordering my Zeus, I was in a car accident. After Jack learnt about it, he refunded my cash, so that I could pay the medical bills. Of course, I had to make the full payment to receive my Zeus. But how many manufacturers would help you out in a situation like that?
Jack is a class act, isn't he?!

But a very well written review! It isn't easy to explain a different view on 'natural' and I think you did an excellent job there. It's interesting to read and above all very informative, which I know you are incredibly talented at. Great job!

Feb 21, 2019 at 5:00 AM Post #14,685 of 39,414
aha, it was you! good deal, thanks for the info. Do you feel they nailed the tuning? Even if there were slight differences with the measurements, do you feel the overall tuning was retained? And was it retained without any added treble spikes or other "sins of commission" that you could hear? Phase alignment preserved?

originally, this was the read that prevented me from seeking a reshell of my Angies. I may have posted this before, but maybe not on this thread:
https://cymbacavum.com/2014/06/14/universal-to-custom-reshell-things-to-know-beforehand/

Yes, I do. I get the same sonic experience with the custom as I did with the universal, but it's obviously been elevated by the added isolation, the full fit, the lack of pressure coming from tips, etc. If there were any treble spikes or dips, I'd definitely notice. Nothing sonically has been compromised, and I couldn't be happier with the result. I've seen the article you're referring to. I'm actually really good friends with Yeo. I've known him since we first met at Music Sanctuary almost five years ago now, and I still meet him from time-to-time when I visit Singapore. The article is great, but let me explain why it doesn't apply to the Angie or any other monitor I've recommended get reshelled through Naga Audio. Unlike the Westone and Shure IEMs he mentioned that weren't tuned to be customs, the Angie's, Layla's and VE8's universals all have internals that are exactly the same as the custom unit. Of course, that also applies to a large majority of universal variants of custom IEMs (not all, though). So, those internals were designed to be installed in both custom and universal IEMs. Of course, I don't know how Naga Audio measure their IEMs pre- and post-reshell, but as Yeo himself says, for IEMs that are often reshelled, the resheller would most likely have a set formula. JHAudio IEMs are Naga Audio's forte, and here's a picture of an Angie they're about to reshell. :wink:

26815575_1992549831067840_3190428436181723059_n.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back