flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Feb 20, 2019 at 9:19 AM Post #14,657 of 39,414
That’s interesting. I personally never felt the weight at all. They sat much better in the ear than Sony’s Z1R or any of JH’s old universals.

Only going by impressions of others since I didn't try Erlkonig, but seems many do bring up the weight of the shells. With IER-Z1R, yep, they are heavy and bulky, sticking out too far out of the ears (picture below). Didn't enjoy them as much. Good soundstage/imaging, but the sound is kind of similar to Fourte with a thinner and more artificial mids (was driving it from LPGT, and had a proper seal with my own eartips). JH old universal, yeah, that's another one that used to stick out of my ears. Btw, tried JH Layla, and that was kind of a disappointment as well. With bass pots down, the sound was still thicker and lower mids were a bit buddy/veiled; with bass tuned up - the sound got even thicker and more veiled, definitely suited better for musicians, not audiophiles, though I heard with a cable upgrade it will scale up and improve.

sony_ier-z1r-01.jpg

Looking back at CJ NYC, the highlight for me was P71 (Andy had a demo unit at Cayin table), qdc VX, and UM 3BA Mirage, and also full size Empyrean. Tried a few other full size cans, HD820 soundstage was too closed back, even beyond being "intimate", and those sat so uncomfortably on my head. Also, Stellia was just OK, they had them hooked up to some Questyle dac/amp which was a really bad choice because it killed the dynamics. When @Andykong stopped by with his handy 4.4mm adapter and I listened to them from Cayin N8 - they came alive, but I still preferred Empyrean. Just a personal subjective opinion, also considering that I'm not a full-size cans person. Forgot to audition Utopia, kicking myself for that.

Feb 20, 2019 at 10:47 AM Post #14,658 of 39,414
Only going by impressions of others since I didn't try Erlkonig, but seems many do bring up the weight of the shells. With IER-Z1R, yep, they are heavy and bulky, sticking out too far out of the ears (picture below). Didn't enjoy them as much. Good soundstage/imaging, but the sound is kind of similar to Fourte with a thinner and more artificial mids (was driving it from LPGT, and had a proper seal with my own eartips). JH old universal, yeah, that's another one that used to stick out of my ears. Btw, tried JH Layla, and that was kind of a disappointment as well. With bass pots down, the sound was still thicker and lower mids were a bit buddy/veiled; with bass tuned up - the sound got even thicker and more veiled, definitely suited better for musicians, not audiophiles, though I heard with a cable upgrade it will scale up and improve.

Looking back at CJ NYC, the highlight for me was P71 (Andy had a demo unit at Cayin table), qdc VX, and UM 3BA Mirage, and also full size Empyrean. Tried a few other full size cans, HD820 soundstage was too closed back, even beyond being "intimate", and those sat so uncomfortably on my head. Also, Stellia was just OK, they had them hooked up to some Questyle dac/amp which was a really bad choice because it killed the dynamics. When @Andykong stopped by with his handy 4.4mm adapter and I listened to them from Cayin N8 - they came alive, but I still preferred Empyrean. Just a personal subjective opinion, also considering that I'm not a full-size cans person. Forgot to audition Utopia, kicking myself for that.

I’ve heard lots of good things about the Mirage and the P71, can’t wait to give ‘em a go at CJ SG next month. I concur about the HD820. They had a weird chestiness to them that had vocalists sounding phlegm-y and closed-in. Tried getting used to the signature, but it wasn’t something I could really adjust to.

Feb 20, 2019 at 2:11 PM Post #14,660 of 39,414
Well obviously I can't wear them twice, that would be disgusting. So I use a clean new pair every day. :D

Perhaps the Erlkönig are marketed much more as a luxury item where opulence and exclusivity are the priorities?
I think I should purchase these along with a Sony DMP Z1. They would definitely be my endgame, as I would be broke, and my wife would likely have cut off my hands, and other appendages...

Feb 20, 2019 at 2:38 PM Post #14,662 of 39,414
My Phantom Review: https://twister6.com/2019/02/20/empire-ears-phantom/
P.S: Some of you may not like/agree with what I wrote

It’s good to have alternative takes on the Phantom, not the easiest IEM to review as it has more facets than meets the eye indeed... I didn’t tackle that mountain myself :p

Discussing the notion of “natural” is a good thing as well, we all have a different understanding that is not always easy to articulate. I like that it opens a debate there!

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2019 at 2:50 PM Post #14,663 of 39,414
It’s good to have alternative takes on the Phantom, not the easiest IEM to review as it has more facets than meets the eye indeed... I didn’t tackle that mountain myself :p

Yea, I was feeling very delicate to post this review. Nic is a very good friend and Jack went out of his way to help me once in the past. Shortly after ordering my Zeus, I was in a car accident. After Jack learnt about it, he refunded my cash, so that I could pay the medical bills. Of course, I had to make the full payment to receive my Zeus. But how many manufacturers would help you out in a situation like that?

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2019 at 4:02 PM Post #14,664 of 39,414
Yea, I was feeling very delicate to post this review. Nic is a very good friend and Jack went out of his way to help me once in the past. Shortly after ordering my Zeus, I was in a car accident. After Jack learnt about it, he refunded my cash, so that I could pay the medical bills. Of course, I had to make the full payment to receive my Zeus. But how many manufacturers would help you out in a situation like that?

Classy gesture indeed.

Well I don’t see any issue having different opinions between friends, I know at meetups here in Paris I disagree with people (sometimes in a big way) I respect and like :p

One thing for sure, the Phantom have a pretty unique signature in the market I don’t know anything that comes close. The more I dive into this hobby the more I am mostly interested in those signatures... that or top notch versions of a given type. I have tried too many variants of the same.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2019 at 4:38 PM Post #14,665 of 39,414

WOW, I didn't know that. That was a gesture of a true gentleman!!!

Vishnu, thank you for this review/contribution on Tw6. This was a straight to the point audiophile quality write up focused on sound. When it comes to audio gear, we don't have to agree on everything. We have different taste, different point of reference for comparison, different ears, different perspective. Positive or negative, as long as we are honest and civilized in our discussion - that's all that matters :)

Feb 20, 2019 at 4:51 PM Post #14,666 of 39,414
WOW, I didn't know that. That was a gesture of a true gentleman!!!

Vishnu, thank you for this review/contribution on Tw6. This was a straight to the point audiophile quality write up focused on sound. When it comes to audio gear, we don't have to agree on everything. We have different taste, different point of reference for comparison, different ears, different perspective. Positive or negative, as long as we are honest and civilized in our discussion - that's all that matters :)

Anytime man. And thanks to you for letting me be part of the Tw6 family.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2019 at 5:01 PM Post #14,668 of 39,414

Mim is on fire this week...

Vin Deezel177, I'm going to use my UE10 soon ( less than 300 hours usage) for portable iPhone use. I was able to retrieve some old website info, how do you think the specs hold up with modern day CIEMs? It's like deja vu having to re-learn about CIEMs again... Back then only had two TOTL choices.

ue10.png

ue1.png

ue2.png

ue3.png

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2019 at 5:32 PM Post #14,669 of 39,414
#tbt this article really resonated with me and to a large extent, informed my own take on the hobby. Replace “loudspeakers” with headphones or iems and it is still valid. ymmv of course...

The pursuit of unhappiness
The above is only one of the many, many reasons I say that real music and hi-fi have nothing to do with one another. They are different experiences. Wishing they weren't different is understandable and perhaps even noble, but pointless. Wishing won't make it so.

It won't make it so because, no matter what "philosophy" informs your hi-fi system, that system will do what you want it to do with only a relatively small percentage of the recordings in your collection—unless, of course, your collection is very tiny and very limited to well-recorded performances of...well, I guess it might actually work for an audiophile, after all. But for everyone else, the pursuit of fidelity is pointless—so you might as well just have fun with that multi-thousand-dollar rack of toys filling one end of your room”.

https://www.stereophile.com/artdudleylistening/104listening/index.html

Feb 20, 2019 at 5:57 PM Post #14,670 of 39,414
Mim is on fire this week...

Vin Deezel177, I'm going to use my UE10 soon ( less than 300 hours usage) for portable iPhone use. I was able to retrieve some old website info, how do you think the specs hold up with modern day CIEMs? It's like deja vu having to re-learn about CIEMs again... Back then only had two TOTL choices.

Well, I personally belong to a camp that believe specs mostly don't matter; at least, not relative to actual sonic performance. Unfortunately, the only valuable piece of info I could've gotten from the sheet isn't there: The frequency response graph! Well, you're gonna use the IEM either way, right? Do the specs really matter?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back