flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Nov 16, 2018 at 11:38 PM Post #13,202 of 39,414
you forgot to mention that you can not res(h)ell it

SE6 is a ciem only for the rich/insane one

let me put it that way , my Zeus XR cost me 1/3 of the SE6 price

is SE6 3 times better ? i don't think so, maybe 10-15% tops but 300% better ? no way Jose

like i said, SE6 is a ciem for the rich ones
you know what is 300% better? 2 channel :'c

I'm now curious how the se6 compares with speakers and full size headphones. I still don't know which has more detail and which has less.

speaking of which, I read some reviews of the vintage system that my uncle owns that shocked me so much. Apparently the speakers on that are considered very revealing even today. Maybe thats why... maybe its time I got an a18 or a flamenco or a focal utopia for that matter. what are some other really really revealing gear?

Also look at these cheeks

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2018 at 11:52 PM Post #13,203 of 39,414
so pretty, is it universal only? I wonder if the flamenco is like the relationship between tia fourte and the a18.

It’s not - a custom version will be available soon. Funny you should mention the A18t and Tia Fourte; the Trinity is one of the most tehnically impressive flagships I’ve heard in recent memory. It has some tonal quirks that I’ll discuss, but I haven’t been this wowed purely by an IEM’s quality since when Tia was first introduced into the market. Given its companions at this price range, the Trinity is definitely worth getting excited about. :wink:

you know what is 300% better? 2 channel :'c

I'm now curious how the se6 compares with speakers and full size headphones. I still don't know which has more detail and which has less.

speaking of which, I read some reviews of the vintage system that my uncle owns that shocked me so much. Apparently the speakers on that are considered very revealing even today. Maybe thats why... maybe its time I got an a18 or a flamenco or a focal utopia for that matter. what are some other really really revealing gear?

Also look at these cheeks

If detail’s you’re one and only priority, electrostats are the way to go. With that said, it’s always good to be careful what you wish for...

Nov 17, 2018 at 3:04 AM Post #13,205 of 39,414
I spoke to Perfect Seal about this just last week (re: reshelling the SE5U, but maybe relevant to the 6U and other silicone ciems as well), and they will indeed reconstruct it, albeit in acrylic rather than silicone--a state-of-affairs whose acceptability is contingent on whether or not one thinks the silicone body is essential to the monitor's secret sauce. I contacted all the remaining major players (AAW, Lear, etc.) and they were the only company who said they would. To my knowledge, no one will reshell in silicone or silicone-filled acrylic (although that has historically been rare in any case), and Perfect Seal is the only company I could find that at least reshell out of it. Hope that's a useful reference for anyone considering the viability of second-hand Spiral Ears gear.

May not be the case, but I remember reading a whims back that the SE5 (and presumably now the SE6) are built in such a way by Spiral Eats that they can't be "reverse engineered", i.e. whatever the special sauce is that they use to get their sound will be destroyed/broken if the IEM is taken apart for reshell - guess that's why they don't offer reshell either, as it would effectively be tbe same as building a new CIEM from scratch.

Could just be clever marketing by SE, but worth doing more reading on if you are considering the Perfect Seal option.

holy crap I already forgot about the Solaris... has anyone gotten custom sleeves for it yet? I imagine their quite big

Custom sleeves aren't necessary - custom tips lock the Solaris in the ears tight and sound superb. I use a silicone set from Custom Art in Poland - as they are deigned to fit I've the nozzle like normal tips, they work on multiple IEMs in my collection. Only c. £50 plus whatever it costs to get a set of ear impressions done if you don't have them already to hand - can't recommend them highly enough.

20181111_192048.jpg

Nov 17, 2018 at 3:28 AM Post #13,206 of 39,414
Thanks! I imagine full-sized are superior? what about the kse1200?

You’re already quoting 2-channel and Utopia’s, so I’d definitely recommend full-sized. The Stax L700 I tried was absolutely fantastic and not unobtainable in price either. I deeply respect the KSE system on a technical level, but I’m not a fan of its signature. To me, it isn’t as effortless and musical as the L700 is. Apples and oranges of course, but I’d rather take the full-sized route as far as maximum detail and enjoyment goes for now.

Nov 17, 2018 at 6:30 PM Post #13,207 of 39,414
It’s not - a custom version will be available soon. Funny you should mention the A18t and Tia Fourte; the Trinity is one of the most tehnically impressive flagships I’ve heard in recent memory. It has some tonal quirks that I’ll discuss, but I haven’t been this wowed purely by an IEM’s quality since when Tia was first introduced into the market. Given its companions at this price range, the Trinity is definitely worth getting excited about. :wink:

I hope you can include some brief comments vs Flamenco in your upcoming Trinity impression! :)

Nov 17, 2018 at 6:59 PM Post #13,208 of 39,414
I hope you can include some brief comments vs Flamenco in your upcoming Trinity impression! :)

I may, depending on when I choose to post them. I’ll be visiting Japan and Singapore in December, so I’ll be able to compare them against literally everything the world has to offer. :D

Nov 18, 2018 at 4:35 PM Post #13,210 of 39,414
It's so amazing, i don't remerber seing all that complaints about the tia fourte price, expensive cables with some vodoo twist. But, a lot of people here are complaining about the SE6.
For starters, maybe the opportunity to at least audition before deciding if it’s worth the purchase to you. Also, resale ability.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2018 at 4:48 PM Post #13,211 of 39,414
It's so amazing, i don't remerber seing all that complaints about the tia fourte price, expensive cables with some vodoo twist. But, a lot of people here are complaining about the SE6.

For starters, maybe the opportunity to at least audition before deciding if it’s worth the purchase to you. Also, resale ability.

I think that pretty much nailed it. Being told something is worth X, but the manufacturer won't/can't make a demo version so you can make your mind up for yourself and just have to take their word for it probably didn't help. The manufacturer not offering reshell so it can't be sold on at a future point definitely doesn't help either. Then add the initial "statement" price and you have most of the reasons this originally caught so much fire on here.

That said, from what I've head, the Spiral Ears team don't really care too much about the court of public opinion on here either way, and they know their last model won two consecutive high end comparisons held a few years apart, so maybe it's justified indifference? Personally I know I couldn't spend that sort of cash without being able to either hear or resell something to make sure it was the right thing for me, but sure there will be plenty of others in the wider audio community who haven't had an issue.

They might even have decided to shoot for the Far East market a bit more, where price is more of a statement so the more expensive, the better.

Nov 20, 2018 at 7:31 AM Post #13,212 of 39,414
the Trinity is one of the most tehnically impressive flagships I’ve heard in recent memory. It has some tonal quirks that I’ll discuss
Wait, I just realized when I clicked on the link to the Jomo's page: There are two version of the Triniy, Brass and SS. By the look of the pick you've posted earlier, you probably got the SS version.
My question is, are they the same in signature or different? Like Acoustune for example, they have the same model but different hosing materials results in different signatures.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2018 at 9:17 AM Post #13,213 of 39,414
Wait, I just realized when I clicked on the link to the Jomo's page: There are two version of the Triniy, Brass and SS. By the look of the pick you've posted earlier, you probably got the SS version.
My question is, are they the same in signature or different? Like Acoustune for example, they have the same model but different hosing materials results in different signatures.

Initially, I thought the differences were purely visual. It turns out, they have significant differences in sound. Here’s a graph and a short sound description from @crinacle detailing the differences:

There is a significant difference between the SS and brass editions. My take on it is that the SS is more technical and intense while the brass is more laidback with a tonality that I think will be enjoyed by more people at the cost of sheer definition. My personal favourite would be the SS, but both are very capable flagships.

I do have the SS variant at the moment and you’ll soon see that the “flaws” I hear in the SS may be answered with the Brass. :wink:

Nov 20, 2018 at 9:50 AM Post #13,214 of 39,414
Initially, I thought the differences were purely visual. It turns out, they have significant differences in sound. Here’s a graph and a short sound description from @crinacle detailing the differences:

I do have the SS variant at the moment and you’ll soon see that the “flaws” I hear in the SS may be answered with the Brass. :wink:

Hopefully before the 30% bf sale is over :beyersmile::beyersmile:

Nov 20, 2018 at 10:15 AM Post #13,215 of 39,414
bJPQuLL.jpg

So let me get this straight: There are two of a same thing, one is more intense, the other is more laidback but they're both technically brilliant, TOTL staging with all the resolution you want.
So whatever you need, Jo's got your back. How the hell one would end up without a pair, or worse, two along the line?
Man is a genius, I guess that's why he's a part of the Trinity family.
Jesus, Marry and Joseph Mou.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back