flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Nov 21, 2018 at 1:49 AM Post #13,231 of 39,414
which would you advise to buy

1- in ear proohile 8
2- UM mason v3
3- UM mentor v3
4- UM 3dd ti
5- AAW 900

I look for great bass quantity and quality wise, full non recessed mids, good detail and nice sound stage, I stear away from analytical or cold sounding iems

any advise is appreciated
I was going to say LX as well, then thought that perhaps a used U12 might be an option, but you seem to have had those already.

I personally loved the Rhapsodio Zombie for sheer bonkers bass-head enjoyment. They do have recessed mids and I understand from a friend are technically nowhere near LX, but they are just so much fun. I did call them "Marmite IEMs" because they will not be everyone's cup of tea. So be sure to demo them if you are interested.

Have you heard the U12t or Trio yet? I have been very curious about those, as well as the Atlas. I also loved the VE8. Not bass canons, but just amazing IEMs with a very high quality bass.

To be honest, I am starting to consider saving up for a compliment to my Phantom that will either be a bass canon or something more neutral-natural and very spacious. For the time being Nic's Dita Fealty fulfil the latter needs (I am loving them and a review magically appeared on my desktop over the past couple of days), so I am leaning towards the Zombie or something that can fill the bass-void those left. I am very curious to see what options you will end up considering!

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2018 at 4:29 AM Post #13,232 of 39,414
which would you advise to buy

1- in ear proohile 8
2- UM mason v3
3- UM mentor v3
4- UM 3dd ti
5- AAW 900

I look for great bass quantity and quality wise, full non recessed mids, good detail and nice sound stage, I stear away from analytical or cold sounding iems

any advise is appreciated
The PP8 with bass switch ON does have quite a rumble, but as others said, it’s nowhere near the bass sensation you get from the LX. The mids though are cleaner on the PP8. Soundstage again goes to the LX. PP8 are more the analytical IEMs though very musical at the same time. Bass on the LX was too much for me, though I love some good bass. It was just difficult to listen to the other frequencies after a while, because the bass always screams „here I am, listen to me!!!“ :wink:

Nov 21, 2018 at 5:08 AM Post #13,233 of 39,414
I was going to say LX as well, then thought that perhaps a used U12 might be an option, but you seem to have had those already.

I personally loved the Rhapsodio Zombie for sheer bonkers bass-head enjoyment. They do have recessed mids and I understand from a friend are technically nowhere near LX, but they are just so much fun. I did call them "Marmite IEMs" because they will not be everyone's cup of tea. So be sure to demo them if you are interested.

Have you heard the U12t or Trio yet? I have been very curious about those, as well as the Atlas. I also loved the VE8. Not bass canons, but just amazing IEMs with a very high quality bass.

To be honest, I am starting to consider saving up for a compliment to my Phantom that will either be a bass canon or something more neutral-natural and very spacious. For the time being Nic's Dita Fealty fulfil the latter needs (I am loving them and a review magically appeared on my desktop over the past couple of days), so I am leaning towards the Zombie or something that can fill the bass-void those left. I am very curious to see what options you will end up considering!

wish that 64audio makes a universal N8

Nov 21, 2018 at 5:41 AM Post #13,234 of 39,414

As an "audiophile basshead" and owner of the legendary ASG2.5 have you though of looking at the new Fender 13-6 model? 13mm dynamic and 6BA - apparently it's tuned to be the closest thing Fender have released to the old ASG / Aurisonics host sound, if early reportsare to be believed (the 13 refers to the 13mm DD)?

IMR-R1 (or the upcoming V2 version being released in Jan) are also worth a look.

Nov 21, 2018 at 8:21 AM Post #13,235 of 39,414
It is very strange and I have no idea what 64 are doing. They have retired a lot of their universal IEMs and while there are obviously universal versions of the new ones, none of them are available to customers (I assume those are just intended as demo units). A real shame.

Nov 21, 2018 at 8:27 AM Post #13,236 of 39,414
It is very strange and I have no idea what 64 are doing. They have retired a lot of their universal IEMs and while there are obviously universal versions of the new ones, none of them are available to customers (I assume those are just intended as demo units). A real shame.

Considering Nate East collaboration, I think the idea was to make N8 for musicians who prefer custom fit. But considering the attention from audiophiles/consumers and the fact they have universal demos at the shows and their dealers, I really hope they will reconsider and introduce universal version of that hybrid.

Nov 21, 2018 at 9:14 AM Post #13,237 of 39,414
Considering Nate East collaboration, I think the idea was to make N8 for musicians who prefer custom fit. But considering the attention from audiophiles/consumers and the fact they have universal demos at the shows and their dealers, I really hope they will reconsider and introduce universal version of that hybrid.

I think it applies to all the other models as well. Perhaps they don't see as much of a market for a U4t or a U6t than they do a U12t?

Nov 21, 2018 at 9:32 AM Post #13,238 of 39,414
So I have a question for anyone who has heard the EE Bravado, the 64 Audio Trio and the N8.

I just picked up a used Trio from the classifieds and I am really digging the sound so far. I would like to go custom, but since 64 Audio doesn’t offer the Trio in custom form would the N8 be a safe bet? From what I’ve read it’s similar to the Trio, just a bit warmer and more lush.

Also would the N8 be too similar to the Bravado or would they be different enough? I already have a custom Bravado so that’s why I ask.

Nov 21, 2018 at 10:11 AM Post #13,239 of 39,414
It‘s the same with the VE8. I got a universal demo but you can’t buy the universal one. I don’t quite get it.

Nov 21, 2018 at 10:26 AM Post #13,240 of 39,414
It‘s the same with the VE8. I got a universal demo but you can’t buy the universal one. I don’t quite get it.
I can sort of get it with Vision Ears because they never made any universals until the Erlkönig and their custom design is quite specific, which they might have felt could not be completely replicated by the demo models. (I think Mim did some comparisons with the VE8 demo and CIEMs.) Although I agree with you that the demo models were pretty stellar in terms of sound and build quality, especially the newer version. I thought about begging them for a universal VE5 after my review, but by that time I had already committed to the Phantom and not enough puppy credit with the missus. :D

Nov 21, 2018 at 12:55 PM Post #13,241 of 39,414

Can always get the Future Sonics G10, which he also endorsed IIRC :ghost: (It's not the most "hi-fi" IEM & tuned for stage monitoring, but it will get you hella bass!).

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2018 at 4:00 PM Post #13,242 of 39,414
Listening to my new custom Legend X now, I would have to say that it is an easy bet for bass done correctly. I loved the AAW 900 a lot as well but it takes a lot more to get it tuned right to sound its best. The X is exceeding my expectations with those dual subwoofers providing a sound much like my home dual subwoofer setup with Zeus like clarity, soundstage, and enunciation. It is the best I have heard in a dynamic configuration bar none. There is nothing quite as satisfying for bass than a well done dynamic driver. I do love my A18 and a12t for bass as well as killing all the other BA configurations I have heard. The 18 bass really scales with my EC ZDs tube amp and even more with a SonarWorks bass boost. The 12 bass is outstanding even on an iPhone. Obviously, the BA bass is different than the dynamic bass so I like to have both. But for guilty bass pleasures, I go dynamic and definitely will go X. You can hear the X yourself if you are in the US if you join the tour in my signature. I am also hoping to get a 64 N8 tour set up in the next few months for a lower price dynamic hybrid option.

I should mention that after having the ability to comfortably A/B all my customs in a universal format through these tours - IMO the custom format IMO significantly improves the bass performance allowing it to go deeper into the sub-bass region as well as the ability to isolate with more pow at lower listening levels. The better seal also seems to provide better., tighter sound quality where the bass hits seemed more out of control on the universal models. Of course, the perfect seal provides better consistency of SQ where you are not constantly fiddling to regain seal.... just sayin'.

Nov 21, 2018 at 4:02 PM Post #13,243 of 39,414
Listening to my new custom Legend X now, I would have to say that it is an easy bet for bass done correctly. I loved the AAW 900 a lot as well but it takes a lot more to get it tuned right to sound its best. The X is exceeding my expectations with those dual subwoofers providing a sound much like my home dual subwoofer setup with Zeus like clarity, soundstage, and enunciation. It is the best I have heard in a dynamic configuration bar none. There is nothing quite as satisfying for bass than a well done dynamic driver. I do love my A18 and a12t for bass as well as killing all the other BA configurations I have heard. The 18 bass really scales with my EC ZDs tube amp and even more with a SonarWorks bass boost. The 12 bass is outstanding even on an iPhone. Obviously, the BA bass is different than the dynamic bass so I like to have both. But for guilty bass pleasures, I go dynamic and definitely will go X. You can hear the X yourself if you are in the US if you join the tour in my signature. I am also hoping to get a 64 N8 tour set up in the next few months for a lower price dynamic hybrid option.

I should mention that after having the ability to comfortably A/B all my customs in a universal format through these tours - IMO the custom format IMO significantly improves the bass performance allowing it to go deeper into the sub-bass region as well as the ability to isolate with more pow at lower listening levels. The better seal also seems to provide better., tighter sound quality where the bass hits seemed more out of control on the universal models. Of course, the perfect seal provides better consistency of SQ where you are not constantly fiddling to regain seal.... just sayin'.

Glad you’re enjoying your new Custom Legend X, it’s truly spectacular, welcome to the fam! You HAVE to try the PW audio 1950s cable with it if you get a chance. It’s incredible.

Nov 21, 2018 at 4:52 PM Post #13,244 of 39,414
Glad you’re enjoying your new Custom Legend X, it’s truly spectacular, welcome to the fam! You HAVE to try the PW audio 1950s cable with it if you get a chance. It’s incredible.
I will be anxiously awaiting the end of the tour to try it.

Nov 22, 2018 at 2:14 AM Post #13,245 of 39,414
I think a few people around here might be interested in my take on the Eros II 8-wire, and especially how well it pairs with the Phantom. It is up over on @twister6's blog (and will be coming to Head-fi soon, of course). Lovely jubbly! :D

Eros II 8-wire - Image of Perfection

ErosII_Phantom.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back