flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Aug 17, 2018 at 4:52 AM Post #11,926 of 39,414
Aug 17, 2018 at 5:53 AM Post #11,928 of 39,414
at 76 , she lived a full life

what's really sad is that we are running out of true music titans and now we are left with garbage icons like beyonce/rihanna and stupid sluts like minjah whats her name and monkeys like Drake

devolution , in full scale.

To be fair, there are pop artists like Beyonce and Ariana Grande who actually have immense vocal talent. I can't speak for the music they choose to make - I haven't fallen head over heels for a new Beyonce or Ariana Grande song in years - but garbage is much too far IMO. However saddening the passing of Ms. Franklin is, at least we'll have a gorgeous legacy to look back at. :)

**sigh** I feel like I ask this every six months: will Prelude ever have a universal version?

I am staying strong on not going custom. Nope, not doing it. Please make me a universal version Warbler! Please!

-Collin-

They've been working on it for a while, but I hope it won't take the same 6 years it took for the Prelude to originally come out. :D

does Prelude have a ownership transfer option ?

I haven't asked, but I'll pass it on.

Reading the statement, I guess I can see the intentions behind both the SE6's price point and the ownership transfer termination, but as they say: "The road to hell is paved with good intentions." A lack of resources is a legitimate reason for 1) limiting purchases of your laboriously complex flagship and 2) halting an immensely promising service, but execution is always key. I'm sure people would've rather waited for (or even be discouraged by) long wait times than be shellshocked by outrageous prices that could've - and probably did to some degree - damage the company's public persona and negatively impact the industry's already rampant price wars. I think Grzegorz was testing the waters somewhat with the opening price and lowered it after the backlash, and the way he worded the statement implies that he knows it too. I have sympathy for the guy because I can see that he's simply extremely proud of his work and not necessarily greedy per se, but I hope this'll set a precedent for the future of the industry.

August Fool's move by SE! Or they couldn't take the heat lol.

Now it's at a much more affordable... €2800 for most and €3400 for Europeans. It's not €6000 now phew thank God, let's go buy the... Wait a minute.

Clever marketing eh.

Indeed, it's slowly working on me. :wink:

I'm definitely slowly morphing into a Mim because I was thinking the exact same cynical thing. :D At least it is a lot more in line with where prices in general are going.

I really appreciate the artisan approach SE have and normally I would be all over it, but I still think that the SE6 are problematic because you can't demo them and can't sell them on, so they will no doubt stay a niche for the die-hard enthusiast with plenty of disposable income, or one with the patience and confidence to save up for such a blind buy. For me personally it is a step too far (at least for the moment) (I know I'm addicted) (stop laughing at me!).

I have a feeling it's because Grzegorz seemingly perceives way more nuances and intricacies between IEMs than we do, such that differences between customs and universals that we consider negligible would seem extremely major to him. Though, if he needs an ear canal that can fit a human thumb for testing, I'd love to volunteer. :p

Aug 17, 2018 at 5:59 AM Post #11,929 of 39,414
Aug 17, 2018 at 6:18 AM Post #11,930 of 39,414
Reading the statement, I guess I can see the intentions behind both the SE6's price point and the ownership transfer termination, but as they say: "The road to hell is paved with good intentions." A lack of resources is a legitimate reason for 1) limiting purchases of your laboriously complex flagship and 2) halting an immensely promising service, but execution is always key. I'm sure people would've rather waited for (or even be discouraged by) long wait times than be shellshocked by outrageous prices that could've - and probably did to some degree - damage the company's public persona and negatively impact the industry's already rampant price wars. I think Grzegorz was testing the waters somewhat with the opening price and lowered it after the backlash, and the way he worded the statement implies that he knows it too. I have sympathy for the guy because I can see that he's simply extremely proud of his work and not necessarily greedy per se, but I hope this'll set a precedent for the future of the industry.

I have a feeling it's because Grzegorz seemingly perceives way more nuances and intricacies between IEMs than we do, such that differences between customs and universals that we consider negligible would seem extremely major to him. Though, if he needs an ear canal that can fit a human thumb for testing, I'd love to volunteer. :p
The more I read about SE and Grzegorz himself, the more I appreciate it. I do really love artisan gear, lovingly developed and built by an obsessive compulsive perfectionist. That is why I love SilverFi as well, it is just that such an approach invariably comes at a price. :D
For anyone interested in a headphone amp „end game“ please read John Grandberg‘s review of the Niimbus us4+
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/rev...r-includes-large-high-end-amp-roundup.886668/
A lot of comparisons to other (expensive) amps (Solid state and tube) as well as nearly all TOTL phones and also A18t.
This is a hell of a read I enjoyed very much!
Wow, that is an impressive bit of work there! Need to take my time and give it a good read.
(Sorry about your wallet) :wink:
[Googles "Niimbus us4+ price"]
giphy.gif

Aug 17, 2018 at 6:48 AM Post #11,932 of 39,414
It just shows you that they charge what they want and not what they are giving you in materials, R&D etc... :wink:

Aug 17, 2018 at 8:12 AM Post #11,934 of 39,414
Since we have received a lot of inquiries regarding universal versions of SE6, we’d like to share our thoughts on the matter as well.

I only asked because it said "don't ask" on the product page. I know I'm a card aren't I. :)

Thank you for your message and inquiry.

We don’t provide any universal/demo versions of our monitors, mainly due to the fact that it’s not possible to recreate similar sound characteristics in generic versions, which is pointless already, and not to mention the fact that it’s been physically impossible to make any of our 5-way configurations properly that way (SE6 will apply here as well, obviously). It has to be custom only.

People do not realise sound environment differences, as well as material and nozzle sizes involved in the process here.

It is substantially different from a custom acrylic vs. universal acrylic or any other hard body (whether hollowed or filled-in) with a bore diameter small enough to encase it in a universal or semi universal nozzle. It makes sense then and can provide some resemblance and approximation of the actual sound output.

A hard shell material (even filled inside with silicone- as we had actually started and invented this process back when we had our 2-way Pro and 3-way Reference generic versions made that way and other companies followed suit) will not provide the sound of actual and properly made silicone custom monitors.

It’s obviously impossible to make a generic body out of flexible silicone with a ‘generic’ flexible silicone nozzle on it.

Not only would the nozzle have to be big enough and have the diameter of one’s thumb approximately; you’d need universal tips large enough with the ability to put these flexible tips on a flexible silicone nozzle, but also you’d have to somehow insert it into your ears…

If it was possible to make a properly sounding universal versions of our monitors starting from our 5-way configurations (and the ones you could actually put into your ears) we’d gladly do it, but it is not.

I realise people do not know that fact and spread their wrong ideas about it. Therefore, if you feel like sharing this information publicly I’d also appreciate it as we receive many messages asking for universal versions.

Thank you.

Aug 17, 2018 at 9:23 AM Post #11,937 of 39,414
Last edited:
Aug 17, 2018 at 9:37 AM Post #11,938 of 39,414
So, just to be clear as I can't tell if everyone is being sarcastic or not, a $3k price is now officially OK? People are comfortable with that now?

64 Audio and VE have won I guess. Good for them.

2-channel pricing, here comes Head Fi.

tenor (17).gif

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back