flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Aug 17, 2018 at 4:35 PM Post #11,956 of 39,414
I have the exact model you're referencing: UM Aero's. :D In terms of general signature, the Aero's and the FIBAE 3 aren't the furthest apart. In technical performance, the FIBAE 3 will blow the Aero's out of the water for sure, but they're both neutral-ish by combining a healthy amount of bass against an elevated treble. Though, the Aero's have a bump in the mid-bass along with an articulative lower-treble, while the FIBAE 3's are boosted in the sub-bass and upper-treble. The Aero's will generally have a sharper attack up top, but the FIBAE 3's will sound a lot more resolving, airy, open and clear. If you want to go in the opposite direction of the Aero's, the FIBAE 2 is awesome as well. It's a darker, warmer, bassier monitor with lots of dynamic energy for a musical, rich and fun sound. The FIBAE Massdrop Edition offers a similar signature within a more resolving, more open and more guttural package. How would you describe an audiophile style sound?

You just describe my dream ciem! FIBAE3 it is.

An audiophile style sound imo is like, a bit boosted bass with warm vocal and natural highs without a lot of airiness. think Noble Kaiser. It's good for what it is but kinda not suit for what I listen to. A lot of Japanese rock/pop. Trance, electronica. Sometimes metal and then throw some Kashiwa Daisuke in there. Audiophile styled CIEM doesn't do well in some of those genres for me. So reference ones will get my attention. And actually I am quite interested in Kumitate KL-REF but how can I know if it suits me. Their faceplate art works are just a candy to my eyes especially those cherry blossom petals and pearl shells.

Aug 17, 2018 at 4:38 PM Post #11,957 of 39,414
You just describe my dream ciem! FIBAE3 it is.

An audiophile style sound imo is like, a bit boosted bass with warm vocal and natural highs without a lot of airiness. think Noble Kaiser. It's good for what it is but kinda not suit for what I listen to. A lot of Japanese rock/pop. Trance, electronica. Sometimes metal and then throw some Kashiwa Daisuke in there. Audiophile styled CIEM doesn't do well in some of those genres for me. So reference ones will get my attention. And actually I am quite interested in Kumitate KL-REF but how can I know if it suits me. Their faceplate art works are just a candy to my eyes especially those cherry blossom petals and pearl shells.

Ahh, I see. The FIBAE 3 will suit you really well in that case. Worth considering too is the Nocturnal Audio Avalon. You can check out the differences between the two in my FIBAE 3 review here: https://theheadphonelist.com/custom-art-fibae-3-through-the-looking-glass/

Aug 17, 2018 at 4:44 PM Post #11,958 of 39,414
Prelude doesn’t perform “better” than the Zeus, just different. The rest depends to the individual preferences.

Exactly I prefer the sound of my prelude to the sound of my old zeus XIV.
But the prelude offers a lot with just one driver.
Lot of resolution great musicality .
I really enjoy this iem.
And i try a lot

Aug 17, 2018 at 5:01 PM Post #11,959 of 39,414
I really enjoy this iem.
And i try a lot
Prelude should do exceptionally well with HUGO 2
I’m curious to how it sounds:)

Aug 17, 2018 at 5:28 PM Post #11,960 of 39,414
It’s refreshing knowing there is a humble iem out there quietly thumbing it’s nose at totl pricing. Considering it’s performance and aversion to backseat-drivers it should be Kosher to claim it’s priced and named accordingly.

If it’s cost was more akin to totl’s they’d have to rename it the Prelube...

upload_2018-8-17_16-48-35.gif

Aug 17, 2018 at 5:31 PM Post #11,961 of 39,414
I really enjoy this iem.
And i try a lot
I completely agree with you, I not only love the sound signature of the Prelude, but I’ve been extremely impressed about the overall quality of the earphone, compared to the other ciems I’ve owned or seen around the Prelude easily is the best one in term of overall built.

Aug 17, 2018 at 5:42 PM Post #11,963 of 39,414
re.SE6

Trollish marketing? Caving into community pressure? or just Overton ficking window?

Overton Window if you dont know what it is by now...

https://bigthink.com/daylight-atheism/moving-the-overton-window

promoting a 5k + product to make 3k+ appear affordable, some might find it humourous, it's still a dick move.

Aug 17, 2018 at 6:28 PM Post #11,964 of 39,414
promoting a 5k + product to make 3k+ appear affordable, some might find it humourous, it's still a dick move.

To me affordability is not elastic.
I either can afford it or I don't, it's not stretched by selling me an advertised 5k product at 3k price. If that dick move works for some, I have bad news for them going forward in life.

Price is what you pay, value is what you receive in return.
5k put its price outside the perceived value of it for me, and 3k put it in the acceptable range with respect to the perceived value.
Of course, perceived value is very subjective and this just limit the number of order placed, just as intended. Simple supply-demand.

And to be brutally honest, to the current bashing crowd, 3k product is dick move regardless.

Aug 17, 2018 at 6:36 PM Post #11,965 of 39,414
I wouldn’t use a mechanism used to describe a social phenomenon to explain an economic one. But they seem to behave similarly. I propose calling the inflating IEM price phenomenon the Obravo Effect, in honor of their 10K USD IEM.

Aug 17, 2018 at 7:12 PM Post #11,966 of 39,414
I think people shouldn't see such a twisted approach in Grzegorz. He is not the perfect communicator, but he is quite honest. It was quite clumsy but he wanted to shock people with the price to say that they feel it so worth that much, then put the real price. Or something.

Aug 17, 2018 at 7:15 PM Post #11,967 of 39,414
I think people shouldn't see such a twisted approach in Grzegorz. He is not the perfect communicator, but he is quite honest. It was quite clumsy but he wanted to shock people with the price to say that they feel it so worth that much, then put the real price. Or something.

you mellowed = you are buying the se6

it's 100% clear :L3000:

still , at 3400 euros , no demo option and no reshell/ownership transfer this is clearly a ciem for the rich/insane ones

hopefully one day i will be rich , until then it's gonna be Zeus love for me.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2018 at 7:28 PM Post #11,968 of 39,414

I second that, through my correspondence with him he is an honorable person in my book.
People just bash something they haven't heard and someone they haven't had interaction with is just how it is these day. But this need to be said.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back