flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Aug 16, 2018 at 7:39 PM Post #11,911 of 39,414
How does that perform with sensitive IEMs? Any hiss? I'm just window shopping for a possible desktop solution and have had a few good recommendations for DAC/Amps, but the stuff gets very expensive, very quickly. Schiit seems to have some pretty affordable options that are quite interesting. Also curious if a Modi Multibit/Vali 2 stack would work for IEMs.
I had the Mimby/Eitr/Vali2 stack. I sold the Vali 2 because it was to light to have the headphone/iem attached to it (moved around to easily) and more importantly the volume did not have enough play. At any type of lower volume the sound came out on just one side. I picked up a used Lyr 2 and both issues were resolved.

If you do not want to deal with tubes, used Asgards are to be had at a good price.

And the Asgard is easier to scramble eggs on in the morning.

Aug 16, 2018 at 10:21 PM Post #11,912 of 39,414
does Prelude have a ownership transfer option ?

Aug 17, 2018 at 1:55 AM Post #11,913 of 39,414
I had the Mimby/Eitr/Vali2 stack. I sold the Vali 2 because it was to light to have the headphone/iem attached to it (moved around to easily) and more importantly the volume did not have enough play. At any type of lower volume the sound came out on just one side. I picked up a used Lyr 2 and both issues were resolved.

If you do not want to deal with tubes, used Asgards are to be had at a good price.

And the Asgard is easier to scramble eggs on in the morning.
Thanks buddy! Have you used sensitive IEMs with any of those? In general I think Schiit looks like a really good option because it is possible to get a nice stack or something like the Jotunheim or Lyr 3 without costing a kidney, but I can't have hiss. My Phantom pick it up from my Macbook and it is just unbearable for me.

It is still just window shopping and looking at a good value solution that would work for me. Right now the lowly E5000 and draining my poor AK70's battery like crazy (gosh those things need a lot to drive them!), so I am charging it even more these days. Would be nice to have something not too expensive to compliment my AK70. That said, I of course also spoke to @ctsooner22, which naturally spiralled out of control quickly (yes, I noticed the Ayre VX-R Twenty :p). Perhaps something more expensive (not that expensive) will be possible, but I would need to bribe my wife with two of these to get away with that...
mail

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2018 at 1:59 AM Post #11,914 of 39,414
Aug 17, 2018 at 2:22 AM Post #11,915 of 39,414
Hello All,

I think Warbler Prelude needs more introduction. This is a very easily misunderstood ciem, and it took me a very long time to understand Prelude, but I think I discover the key to unlocking its great potential. The 2 keys are: a good silver cable such as recent CTM 8 core Okoi cable and bright DAP. If you are looking for great technical ciem that will move you emotionally, this is the one( At least that's what I believe). I'm gonna post my posting of Warbler here to entice more to purchase Warbler Prelude; or push them to the darkside :beyersmile::beyersmile::beyersmile:

------------------------------

My favorite ciem and cable at the moment (last couple weeks):

Warbler Prelude + CTM 8 core silver cable Okoi 2.5 mm connected with Trident Audio Silver + Copper 2.5 mm to 4.4 mm connector cable + Modified WM1Z/ or Earstudio ES100 bluetooth DAC.

With modified WM1Z(more brighter sounding 1Z/ improved version of 1A):
Sound is extremely soulful and sublime. Prelude is associated with very soulful but thick warm sound; has amazing amazing timbre and extremely warm. Silver Okoi cable clear much of the warmth, music/sound is extremely clear, improved clarity by great amount and precision is spot on. Not as thick sounding, soundstage expanded, great air between instruments. Still as soulful as ever, with male vocals as the focus, maybe even better than before. Those who loves extreme technical side of music (should?) avoid Prelude because it is the antithesis of technicality. No longer the case, since Prelude becomes combination of great technicality with extremely soulful/ musical piece. When using Prelude with good silver based cable, all its disadvatages such as very warm, thick sounding, slight veil are gone, replaced with much blacker background, extreme clarity, much greater resolution, less thickness, greater soundstage, instruments have greater impact, eg: piano becomes lively and when it needs it will hits hard, while at the same time, Prelude retains its amazing timbre, soulfulness eg: female voices pull at your heartstrings easily and its great bass definition. And you will hear everything that can be heard in your music (well it still depends on how good your DAP is). It sounded like a different but still great sounding ciem altogether. Even better if its paired with brighter sounding DAP like AK or modified 1A/1Z or even Earstudio ES100 DAC/ LDAC streaming. Comparison between Prelude with regular cable and with good silver cable is like a handsome man who is 20 pounds overweight with the same man but 20 pounds lighter. Its still the same person, but the later is more agile, faster, healthier, and more active, while the earlier is sluggish, lazier, slower version. Those who own Prelude, try using silver cable and discover the great difference. You'll rediscover and fall in love with Prelude once more. With good silver cable, I would place Warbler Prelude on the same class as EE Phantom, probably slightly lower, but not by much.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2018 at 3:30 AM Post #11,918 of 39,414
Well, I'm a pragmatist, I don't dwell into why this happens, but this is better for everyone, for the community and for Spiral Ear as well.
We have been lamenting for a week or so that SE6 might not have a chance to shine at all because of the price. Now that would be a real shame.

With this price range I believe SE6 impressions will come up in a month or two.

Although my gear is really limited as I am new to all this, I'll post my impression once I hear it.
Looking forward to Mim's and nic's review as well.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2018 at 3:38 AM Post #11,919 of 39,414
August Fool's move by SE! Or they couldn't take the heat lol.

Now it's at a much more affordable... €2800 for most and €3400 for Europeans. It's not €6000 now phew thank God, let's go buy the... Wait a minute.

Clever marketing eh.

Aug 17, 2018 at 3:42 AM Post #11,920 of 39,414
Just slightly above a vanilla A18 and below a tia Fourte
And in my book the SE5U already above the A18 in term of value.

:thinking:

Plus you don't have to think about the cable (oh yeah, the suggested aftermarket cable ban is still there)

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2018 at 4:09 AM Post #11,921 of 39,414
August Fool's move by SE! Or they couldn't take the heat lol.

Now it's at a much more affordable... €2800 for most and €3400 for Europeans. It's not €6000 now phew thank God, let's go buy the... Wait a minute.

Clever marketing eh.
I'm definitely slowly morphing into a Mim because I was thinking the exact same cynical thing. :D At least it is a lot more in line with where prices in general are going.

I really appreciate the artisan approach SE have and normally I would be all over it, but I still think that the SE6 are problematic because you can't demo them and can't sell them on, so they will no doubt stay a niche for the die-hard enthusiast with plenty of disposable income, or one with the patience and confidence to save up for such a blind buy. For me personally it is a step too far (at least for the moment) (I know I'm addicted) (stop laughing at me!).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back