flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Jul 13, 2018 at 9:25 PM Post #11,146 of 39,414
I get on my knees, open my mouth, and take all the Pottering!

PS. I love those books and movies. :D

You would be looking like this Pinky ! ETs-cum-face.jpg

Jul 13, 2018 at 10:40 PM Post #11,149 of 39,414
Jul 13, 2018 at 10:46 PM Post #11,150 of 39,414
Yes I agree with that approach. But, it requires some subscript. Once you reach a certain level, iems below the top can still have an advantage over higher-end ones by means of their signature and tone, and preference starts to play a more important role. The Campfire dynamics are a good example of that, since bass-enthusiasts will value their powerful bass. And when I had a number of 64 iems on trial, I tend to reach for the A6t more often. So basically, skip everything below $1K and after that it's fair game :D

That being said, I think the U12t is an excellent iem and I think it will suit you very well.
I feel like asking this is a little rude, but have you always prioritized good tone? Right when I was starting out, I was after the highest resolution possible. I'm starting to change now, but still like to have really high resolution.

Jul 13, 2018 at 10:49 PM Post #11,151 of 39,414
@tgrosu I'm definitely not the guy to provide you with sage iem advice but ya, knowing your preferred sound signature is key. It's what separates the music lovers from the gear lovers.

There are 3 categories of audio enthusiast:
  • Lovers of both -- know their preferred sound signatures or are well on their way to pinpointing them. Sound signatures because although many have a good grasp of their ideal SS, we can typically appreciate variations on it as well. Some will even like more drastic shifts ex: different genres
  • Gear lovers -- definitely know their preferred SS and will only stop the madness when they find themselves having to stoop to stealing condiments and napkins from restaurants*
  • Music lovers -- do not know their preferred SS, 50/50 that it's all that important either as some folks just want to hear "better" sounding music...just feed 'em bass then LOL. What's most important is the music man:v:tgrosu, this is where you are right now. We all start here : ) How do you get to love the gear too?.....
You have to listen to a lot of it. Listen to hps if you can't iems. Listen to loudspeakers if you can't hps (you should listen to some good loudspeakers/systems anyway, it'll help). Talk with people about the gear you've heard if you don't know your preferred SS, what exactly you're listening for our how to describe what you hear. Most importantly, listen to live instruments, unplugged (that's what were seeking with all this anyway, a sense of realism). A great 2ch system will actually attach bodies to singers, fingers to strings and so on. Increasing realism. Try to recall the sound of live instruments when listening to gear. Pick music to audition gear with that is acoustically recorded as well your favs.

Hope you like your U18t though! Then you don't have to do any of this :beyersmile::deadhorse::deadhorse:

*crap, I'm sooo guilty of napkin nabbing. I've got a drawer busting full of napkins from every fast food restaurant within a 25km diameter....so why do I continue teefing them lol?? I also like to plan ahead, syncing up napkin with cuisine. Tonight, tacos with Taco Bell napkins. The diarrhea is more authentic this way.
TIL I'm still at music lover

Jul 14, 2018 at 12:12 AM Post #11,154 of 39,414
Last edited:
Jul 14, 2018 at 6:19 AM Post #11,155 of 39,414
I feel like asking this is a little rude, but have you always prioritized good tone? Right when I was starting out, I was after the highest resolution possible. I'm starting to change now, but still like to have really high resolution.
I think that's a common progression, that is very recognisable. I remember when Warren Chi from Head-Fi told me about the '4 stages of audiophile' at Canjam:
1. All 'bout dat bass. The easiest aspect to perceive, and most powerful in the presentation.
2. Treble. Ooh looky all that detail!
3. Midrange. The foundation of the music.
4. Understanding it's not about one aspect, but the harmony between all three.
5. Bonus stage: learning it's about more than the three, maybe even more than we know and understand. Speed, distortion, etc.

This is generally true within iems. To compensate for the lack of visceral sensation of the bass, the bass needs to lifted. But since there is a limited amount of headroom compared to speakers, the treble tuning is essential to create space and uncover detail, especially since this conflicts with lifting the bass.

A common next step after understanding the basics is turning to performance: the only thing that matters is aspects like resolution, transparency, separation, and imaging. It's a tangible way of training your listening that requires more skill. Tone is relatively unimportant by comparison, since it seems to be more abstract and subjective in a way. But its priority shifts once you start understanding it, unless it was an initial priority all along of course. For instance, we can see that some of our valued regulars that are most vocal about their fondness of the Phantom come from 2channel, where you don't have the same type of limitations as with iems, so tone is more important to start with (at least that is my interpretation).

I also went through all of the standard phases. My first couple of iems were the Velvet, 8.A, and Solar: all bonafide basshead iems. Then I got iems like the S-EM9 and Samba, and performance was the only thing that mattered, I didn't care for tone either. I remember someone asked me the same question after I had just launched the shootout thread, and I acknowledged that performance was the most important to me (tried looking up that post but couldn't find it). I only started gravitating towards tone after listening to iems like the Prelude and 5-Way for instance. So in a way, preference for iems is bi-directional. You pick out iems that match your taste, but iems can also help shape your preference. In that aspect, reviewers are very fortunate they are 'forced' to experience a wide range of signatures, with each having their own distinct flavor and advantage. You learn something new from every iem you own. Every six months I look back and realise I am a different listener than I was before, you see iems you used to like or dislike in a new light. In that way, audio is a continuous journey that never stops. But that's also what keeps it interesting I guess.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2018 at 6:50 AM Post #11,156 of 39,414
I think that's a common progression, that is very recognisable. I remember when Warren Chi from Head-Fi told me about the '4 stages of audiophile' at Canjam:
1. All 'bout dat bass. The easiest aspect to perceive, and most powerful in the presentation.....
Excellent post imo. Although I think there are also enough HF members that might never get beyond that first (or 2nd) stage :grin:
giphy.gif

Oh, and for what's it worth: even after all these years I can still enjoy my bonafide basshead Solar (especially from the LPG) :ksc75smile:
But of course it's great to have multiple signature (and synergy) choices, when budget allows...

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2018 at 8:45 AM Post #11,157 of 39,414
Guys.

Logitech.

A fake tweeter

Can you imagine fake BAs in iems?

Those are the Z333 and YES they are as FAKE as you can get. To me, this is just sad and a fit of a fraud. Think about deception and you have this speaker. Just be what you are and don't deceive buyers!

Jul 14, 2018 at 9:07 AM Post #11,158 of 39,414
1. All 'bout dat bass. The easiest aspect to perceive, and most powerful in the presentation.
2. Treble. Ooh looky all that detail!
3. Midrange. The foundation of the music.
4. Understanding it's not about one aspect, but the harmony between all three.
5. Bonus stage: learning it's about more than the three, maybe even more than we know and understand. Speed, distortion, etc.

This is generally true within iems. To compensate for the lack of visceral sensation of the bass, the bass needs to lifted. But since there is a limited amount of headroom compared to speakers, the treble tuning is essential to create space and uncover detail, especially since this conflicts with lifting the bass.

A common next step after understanding the basics is turning to performance: the only thing that matters is aspects like resolution, transparency, separation, and imaging. It's a tangible way of training your listening that requires more skill. Tone is relatively unimportant by comparison, since it seems to be more abstract and subjective in a way. But its priority shifts once you start understanding it, unless it was an initial priority all along of course. For instance, we can see that some of our valued regulars that are most vocal about their fondness of the Phantom come from 2channel, where you don't have the same type of limitations as with iems, so tone is more important to start with (at least that is my interpretation).

I also went through all of the standard phases. My first couple of iems were the Velvet, 8.A, and Solar: all bonafide basshead iems. Then I got iems like the S-EM9 and Samba, and performance was the only thing that mattered, I didn't care for tone either. I remember someone asked me the same question after I had just launched the shootout thread, and I acknowledged that performance was the most important to me (tried looking up that post but couldn't find it). I only started gravitating towards tone after listening to iems like the Prelude and 5-Way for instance. So in a way, preference for iems is bi-directional. You pick out iems that match your taste, but iems can also help shape your preference. In that aspect, reviewers are very fortunate they are 'forced' to experience a wide range of signatures, with each having their own distinct flavor and advantage. You learn something new from every iem you own. Every six months I look back and realise I am a different listener than I was before, you see iems you used to like or dislike in a new light. In that way, audio is a continuous journey that never stops. But that's also what keeps it interesting I guess.
What a relatable piece of audio commentary for all!

You know, while your abilities to dissect gear and reconstruct it palpably in review form are fundamental in what makes you a special cat (gif), I find - and I’m sure I’m not alone here - that the philosophical approach you take to your audio musings demonstrates a seasoned perspective on how and why we listen, opening up minds and ears along the way.

Till the next installment : )

Jul 14, 2018 at 10:15 AM Post #11,160 of 39,414
Those are the Z333 and YES they are as FAKE as you can get. To me, this is just sad and a fit of a fraud. Think about deception and you have this speaker. Just be what you are and don't deceive buyers!

You know what's wild?

I could listen to an iem with 12 drivers and if 11 were fake and the tuning was decent I wouldnt know there were 11 fake.. Lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back