flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Jul 12, 2018 at 5:01 PM Post #11,116 of 39,414
Welcome back Ike. Glad you had a blast!

Jul 12, 2018 at 9:26 PM Post #11,117 of 39,414
since you want a mid-forward sound , be on the lookout for a used Zeus XR , if you can find one for around 1500$ just grab it

btw , kudos for digging TD/Klaus Schulze , both amazing artists true giants/pioneer of the electronic sound/genre
That’s expensive. It’s selling used about $2000 SGD over here

Jul 13, 2018 at 12:26 AM Post #11,120 of 39,414
Hello Guys!

I was redirected to this thread and I'm glad I was.

So, what is my dilemma?

I own a Sony WM1A walkman and I am looking for a good IEM to pair it with. Currently, I only use the SE port, simply because I don't have a balanced headphone/IEM.

I now have a Sennheiser IE800, which for the most part I am content. However, it does have a major flaw - its mids are lacking the forwardness, it is sterile, recessed or congested. The voices of singers seem to have a veil, something I really don't like. I happen to have met other head-fiers complaining of the same problem. On the other hand I kind of like the treble of the IE800 and its general open sound.

So my question to all you, masters, is what should I choose to replace the IE800. I almost never listen to EDM-type of music, but rather classical, rock, old-time electronic music (Tangerine Dream, K. Schulze etc.), acoustic music, jazz. Reproduction of the voice should definitely be more forward than the IE800. I really hate that recessed sound of the Senns. Plus they have an ergonomics which do not do them justice. Anyway, we all know these problems...

Up to now, without actually listening to them, I have narrowed my search to the following: the CA Andromeda, the Noble Kaiser Encore and the CA Atlas. Of course, I am quite open to absolutely other suggestion. I'm pretty sure I won't join the (C)IEM camp.

My budget is less than 2000 USD and I am mostly interested in a good synergy with my Sony WM1A.

I really appreciate any advice or opinion. I know I'll get some and I thank you in advance.

My no. 1 recommendation would be a second-hand 64Audio U18. Alternatively, the Lime Ears Model X is great as well; almost like an Andromeda with a more linear and pleasing signature, whilst maintaining all the energy, sparkle and clarity.

Jul 13, 2018 at 12:49 AM Post #11,121 of 39,414
My no. 1 recommendation would be a second-hand 64Audio U18. Alternatively, the Lime Ears Model X is great as well; almost like an Andromeda with a more linear and pleasing signature, whilst maintaining all the energy, sparkle and clarity.

I really appreciate the advice! I will take at look at your recommendations.

Jul 13, 2018 at 1:07 AM Post #11,122 of 39,414
Hello Guys!

I was redirected to this thread and I'm glad I was.

So, what is my dilemma?

I own a Sony WM1A walkman and I am looking for a good IEM to pair it with. Currently, I only use the SE port, simply because I don't have a balanced headphone/IEM.

I now have a Sennheiser IE800, which for the most part I am content. However, it does have a major flaw - its mids are lacking the forwardness, it is sterile, recessed or congested. The voices of singers seem to have a veil, something I really don't like. I happen to have met other head-fiers complaining of the same problem. On the other hand I kind of like the treble of the IE800 and its general open sound.

So my question to all you, masters, is what should I choose to replace the IE800. I almost never listen to EDM-type of music, but rather classical, rock, old-time electronic music (Tangerine Dream, K. Schulze etc.), acoustic music, jazz. Reproduction of the voice should definitely be more forward than the IE800. I really hate that recessed sound of the Senns. Plus they have an ergonomics which do not do them justice. Anyway, we all know these problems...

Up to now, without actually listening to them, I have narrowed my search to the following: the CA Andromeda, the Noble Kaiser Encore and the CA Atlas. Of course, I am quite open to absolutely other suggestion. I'm pretty sure I won't join the (C)IEM camp.

My budget is less than 2000 USD and I am mostly interested in a good synergy with my Sony WM1A.

I really appreciate any advice or opinion. I know I'll get some and I thank you in advance.

For Andro and Atlas, it’s best for you to actually test them in your ears before purchasing.

I had really bad fit issues with both of them. Andro cut my ears no matter how I position them while I was not able to get any seal with atlas without getting driver flex.

It’s a real pity too cause I really liked their sound signature.

Just like what deezel had recommended you, N8 is one iem you can consider with clear mids, but it’s treble imo isn’t as prominent as the IE800, this might be something to consider if you like ie800’s treble.

You can also try Ambient Acoustic’s AM7. It’s a very mid forward sounding signature however just like N8 it’s treble won’t be as “hot” as ie800.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2018 at 1:44 AM Post #11,123 of 39,414
I really appreciate the advice! I will take at look at your recommendations.

Whatever you end up buying, you owe it to your 1a to give it a proper 4.4 balanced cable.

Jul 13, 2018 at 1:56 AM Post #11,125 of 39,414
For Andro and Atlas, it’s best for you to actually test them in your ears before purchasing.

I had really bad fit issues with both of them. Andro cut my ears no matter how I position them while I was not able to get any seal with atlas without getting driver flex.

It’s a real pity too cause I really liked their sound signature.

Just like what deezel had recommended you, N8 is one iem you can consider with clear mids, but it’s treble imo isn’t as prominent as the IE800, this might be something to consider if you like ie800’s treble.

You can also try Ambient Acoustic’s AM7. It’s a very mid forward sounding signature however just like N8 it’s treble won’t be as “hot” as ie800.

Two more on the homework list. I really appreciate!

Jul 13, 2018 at 2:38 AM Post #11,126 of 39,414
hat is an interesting question. Personally, I did not find anything fatiguing about the SE100. It has a very smooth sig, neither the bass, mids or treble, are particularly forward or energetic, especially when compared to something like the LPG. But I have indeed heard from Rick that distortion for instance can cause fatigue in 2ch regardless of tonality. In general, people have a lot of different sensitivities, so it is possible that that person is very sensitive to this aspect. But honestly, I would be surprised if that is a general complaint. The Ultima Cu is warmer than the SE100, but both are really buttery smooth, at least to me.
Thanks for your impressions! If I may though, how do you feel the SE100 stacks up against the WM1Z which I'm under the impression is your reference player of choice? I'm thinking of selling my AK380 and investing in a new player so the SE100 is on my radar, and I'm particularly interested to know if its been voiced with a more forward midrange like my AK70 MKII or laid back like the AK380. The former I greatly prefer for rock but find the CS4398 chips can sound slightly digital, unconvincing, fatiguing and without the ease or lushness I associate with truly high-end audio gear. Admittedly these are nitpicks listeners with less-experienced ears may not catch, and I don't mean to portray it as a poor player because it certainly isn't, merely one built to a mid-range pricepoint.

Jul 13, 2018 at 3:25 AM Post #11,127 of 39,414
Thanks for your impressions! If I may though, how do you feel the SE100 stacks up against the WM1Z which I'm under the impression is your reference player of choice? I'm thinking of selling my AK380 and investing in a new player so the SE100 is on my radar, and I'm particularly interested to know if its been voiced with a more forward midrange like my AK70 MKII or laid back like the AK380. The former I greatly prefer for rock but find the CS4398 chips can sound slightly digital, unconvincing, fatiguing and without the ease or lushness I associate with truly high-end audio gear. Admittedly these are nitpicks listeners with less-experienced ears may not catch, and I don't mean to portray it as a poor player because it certainly isn't, merely one built to a mid-range pricepoint.
Ok so as a disclaimer, I heard AK380 about two years ago and was really impressed by it since I owned the LPG at the time (this was my post). LPG is awesome in its own right, but AK380 is a step up in terms of performance and especially refinement. Point being, assessing performance in audio is always relative to your current benchmark, so my memory of AK380 is based on that reference point in time, not my current one.

With that in mind, I doubt the SE100 is an upgrade over the AK380 in terms of tone and performance. The 'problem' of AK380 is indeed that it has a neutral vocal position and leaner note size, which contributes to the spacious and airy feel of its stage. I can't say from memory if the SE100 offers more body to its sound, but it is still closer to neutral than forward. For instance, the WM1Z and LPG will offer significantly more bodied and forward vocals than those two. SP1000 Cu also has more bodied vocals, but this is primarily due to the enhanced mid-bass, rather than forwardness of the midrange itself. Have you ever considered picking up a second hand LPG? They are opposites in just about everything (staging, tone, forwardness), but form a perfect complement (if you don't mind not having a touchschreen. Honestly, I would still be completely content with those two. I've always regretted letting my LPG go, I just want to hear the LPGT before I buy one back hehe.

Jul 13, 2018 at 4:03 AM Post #11,128 of 39,414
Ok so as a disclaimer, I heard AK380 about two years ago and was really impressed by it since I owned the LPG at the time (this was my post). LPG is awesome in its own right, but AK380 is a step up in terms of performance and especially refinement. Point being, assessing performance in audio is always relative to your current benchmark, so my memory of AK380 is based on that reference point in time, not my current one.

With that in mind, I doubt the SE100 is an upgrade over the AK380 in terms of tone and performance. The 'problem' of AK380 is indeed that it has a neutral vocal position and leaner note size, which contributes to the spacious and airy feel of its stage. I can't say from memory if the SE100 offers more body to its sound, but it is still closer to neutral than forward. For instance, the WM1Z and LPG will offer significantly more bodied and forward vocals than those two. SP1000 Cu also has more bodied vocals, but this is primarily due to the enhanced mid-bass, rather than forwardness of the midrange itself. Have you ever considered picking up a second hand LPG? They are opposites in just about everything (staging, tone, forwardness), but form a perfect complement (if you don't mind not having a touchschreen. Honestly, I would still be completely content with those two. I've always regretted letting my LPG go, I just want to hear the LPGT before I buy one back hehe.
Funnily enough you've given me more questions to think about than answers! Understandably its very difficult comparing these DAPs especially if you don't have them side-by-side, and there don't seem to be any reviewers in the hobby who happen to own all of the flagship players for obvious reasons. Which I guess leaves things like impressions gathered from meets and Canjams but bustling environments are hardly the place to detect subtle nuances that become important paying these kinds of amounts for portable players.

I've definitely considered the LPG which sounds like it could be my cup of tea sonically, but am wary of the primitive interface, lack of onboard storage or micro SD compatibility, lack of balanced output and proprietary charger necessity. Visually they look stunning and the thick-but-narrow form factor looks easy to operate with one hand, but it would feel a bit like paying today's prices for yesterday's technology - its a real shame they significantly raised the price of the 2017 version instead of lowering it.
There's a used LPG I can pick up for AU$2300, but that's not far shy of a new SE100 for AU$2500 from Addictedtoaudio. A new WM1Z would set me back AU$3500, or I could "slum it" with a midrange player like a new WM1A for AU$1100 (they're cheap over here) or a new DX200 for AU$1300 and then add an AMP4 or AMP8 later. The SE1000 would be ideal but I'm not yet ready to step into a world where spending AU$5k on a glorified iPod seems rational.

One thing I don't see discussed nearly as much in portable audio as in the rarefied realm of two channel is PRAT, something the AK70MKII has in spades compared with other portable sources I've owned, though its still miles behind a good NOS DAC. To me that's one of the big things that separates good sources from great ones, along with ease of presentation by which I mean a lack of those horribly etched sharp notes you get with cheap digital sources. Maybe this is an area where Hifiman's new R2R player can get an edge over the competition, but I haven't found much information on it so far and at US$2500 at Penon Audio its up against stiff competition.

Jul 13, 2018 at 4:20 AM Post #11,129 of 39,414
By all means, listen to a 1a before you "discount" it as "midrange." Just because it doesn't have a premium price attached to it doesn't mean it isn't an upper tier DAP.

Jul 13, 2018 at 4:20 AM Post #11,130 of 39,414
Funnily enough you've given me more questions to think about than answers! Understandably its very difficult comparing these DAPs especially if you don't have them side-by-side, and there don't seem to be any reviewers in the hobby who happen to own all of the flagship players for obvious reasons. Which I guess leaves things like impressions gathered from meets and Canjams but bustling environments are hardly the place to detect subtle nuances that become important paying these kinds of amounts for portable players.

I've definitely considered the LPG which sounds like it could be my cup of tea sonically, but am wary of the primitive interface, lack of onboard storage or micro SD compatibility, lack of balanced output and proprietary charger necessity. Visually they look stunning and the thick-but-narrow form factor looks easy to operate with one hand, but it would feel a bit like paying today's prices for yesterday's technology - its a real shame they significantly raised the price of the 2017 version instead of lowering it.
There's a used LPG I can pick up for AU$2300, but that's not far shy of a new SE100 for AU$2500 from Addictedtoaudio. A new WM1Z would set me back AU$3500, or I could "slum it" with a midrange player like a new WM1A for AU$1100 (they're cheap over here) or a new DX200 for AU$1300 and then add an AMP4 or AMP8 later. The SE1000 would be ideal but I'm not yet ready to step into a world where spending AU$5k on a glorified iPod seems rational.

One thing I don't see discussed nearly as much in portable audio as in the rarefied realm of two channel is PRAT, something the AK70MKII has in spades compared with other portable sources I've owned, though its still miles behind a good NOS DAC. To me that's one of the big things that separates good sources from great ones, along with ease of presentation by which I mean a lack of those horribly etched sharp notes you get with cheap digital sources. Maybe this is an area where Hifiman's new R2R player can get an edge over the competition, but I haven't found much information on it so far and at US$2500 at Penon Audio its up against stiff competition.
Well AU$2300 is ridiculous :) At some point they were sold new for $1600 US I believe.. But yes you have to settle for a more primitive UI. That being said, the LPG's UI was quicker to navigate than my former RW AK380cu, and also starts up much quicker. So it's more of a mindset thing, but still, we're all accustomed to the luxury of fancy screens nowadays. And yes I also think that the AK's have an advantage over most players when it comes to things as authority and PRaT, although these are aspects that are probably more subtle to notice if you aren't looking for them. I also suffer from living in a country where you can't try much, although Rick is single-handedly making up for that at the moment lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back