flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Jul 12, 2018 at 8:23 AM Post #11,101 of 39,414
K you found that a little too fast
Haha! I actually had that one bookmarked from a while back. I thought it would come in handy at some point, although I expected it would likely be in response to Mim... for some reason. :p

Jul 12, 2018 at 9:55 AM Post #11,102 of 39,414
You guys deserve more upvotes!

I didn't want to be the one to drag the level down (again), so I restrained myself from posting last night. But since you guys really ran with this, you could have also added 'wood', 'man, and 'comes' from the original post to that list. In fact, one could even question the validity of a girlfriend/wife without these three.

That is an interesting question. Personally, I did not find anything fatiguing about the SE100. It has a very smooth sig, neither the bass, mids or treble, are particularly forward or energetic, especially when compared to something like the LPG. But I have indeed heard from Rick that distortion for instance can cause fatigue in 2ch regardless of tonality. In general, people have a lot of different sensitivities, so it is possible that that person is very sensitive to this aspect. But honestly, I would be surprised if that is a general complaint. The Ultima Cu is warmer than the SE100, but both are really buttery smooth, at least to me.

Random notes:
DITA asked me to post a thread for the Twins, if anybody is interested. I have almost finished the review. This stuff is so much work, reminded me why I quit in the first place :D

I went to listen to IE800s and Atlas again for comparisons. Pretty impressed by the IE800s. The bass is quite laid-back, so its notes are very lean, and its vocal position is small and distant. But as a result, the stage is very airy, and the separation is excellent. It feels extremely spacious, even though it is mostly due to the note structure, rather than the absolute dimensions. The extension on both ends is also good, so its resolution is quite high, and the quality of the bass in terms of definition and speed is good, although its quantity is pretty marginal when it comes to impact. Its tone was close to neutral, and it seemed to be smooth. It's not an impressive signature when you look at the individual components, but the presentation as a whole is very refined, which was something I quite enjoyed listening to for that reason.

Also took a listen to the Campfire Comet, and liked it. Despite its single driver, the midrange has nice body, and it had a sort of lightly warm, playful tone that was neither particularly warm or bright; just very well balanced. At the bottom end it is rolled off, but the mid-bass had sufficient quantity to sound engaging and impactful. Similarly, the top-end extension was not very good, so despite that it sounds clear, it was veiled. But I doubt this is something that people in that price class will notice. All in all, I thought this was a very good tuning for its price, just great balance in what it offered.

i expect @Wyville coming up with some dog sex gifs , any minute now :o2smile:

OK, enough, enough enough.....THIS WHOLE THREAD IS NOW COMING TO A HEAD!!!

Jul 12, 2018 at 12:34 PM Post #11,103 of 39,414
this thread is a fountain of youth, bringing forth the joy in all of us old geysers.

865DFEDC-F3BE-427A-89A5-32E882DAD024.gif

Jul 12, 2018 at 12:53 PM Post #11,105 of 39,414
Hello Guys!

I was redirected to this thread and I'm glad I was.

So, what is my dilemma?

I own a Sony WM1A walkman and I am looking for a good IEM to pair it with. Currently, I only use the SE port, simply because I don't have a balanced headphone/IEM.

I now have a Sennheiser IE800, which for the most part I am content. However, it does have a major flaw - its mids are lacking the forwardness, it is sterile, recessed or congested. The voices of singers seem to have a veil, something I really don't like. I happen to have met other head-fiers complaining of the same problem. On the other hand I kind of like the treble of the IE800 and its general open sound.

So my question to all you, masters, is what should I choose to replace the IE800. I almost never listen to EDM-type of music, but rather classical, rock, old-time electronic music (Tangerine Dream, K. Schulze etc.), acoustic music, jazz. Reproduction of the voice should definitely be more forward than the IE800. I really hate that recessed sound of the Senns. Plus they have an ergonomics which do not do them justice. Anyway, we all know these problems...

Up to now, without actually listening to them, I have narrowed my search to the following: the CA Andromeda, the Noble Kaiser Encore and the CA Atlas. Of course, I am quite open to absolutely other suggestion. I'm pretty sure I won't join the (C)IEM camp.

My budget is less than 2000 USD and I am mostly interested in a good synergy with my Sony WM1A.

I really appreciate any advice or opinion. I know I'll get some and I thank you in advance.

Jul 12, 2018 at 2:50 PM Post #11,106 of 39,414
Hello Guys!

So, what is my dilemma?

I own a Sony WM1A walkman and I am looking for a good IEM to pair it with. Currently, I only use the SE port, simply because I don't have a balanced headphone/IEM.

I now have a Sennheiser IE800, which for the most part I am content. However, it does have a major flaw - its mids are lacking the forwardness, it is sterile, recessed or congested. The voices of singers seem to have a veil, something I really don't like. I happen to have met other head-fiers complaining of the same problem. On the other hand I kind of like the treble of the IE800 and its general open sound.

So my question to all you, masters, is what should I choose to replace the IE800. I almost never listen to EDM-type of music, but rather classical, rock, old-time electronic music (Tangerine Dream, K. Schulze etc.), acoustic music, jazz. Reproduction of the voice should definitely be more forward than the IE800. I really hate that recessed sound of the Senns. Plus they have an ergonomics which do not do them justice. Anyway, we all know these problems...

Up to now, without actually listening to them, I have narrowed my search to the following: the CA Andromeda, the Noble Kaiser Encore and the CA Atlas. Of course, I am quite open to absolutely other suggestion. I'm pretty sure I won't join the (C)IEM camp.

My budget is less than 2000 USD and I am mostly interested in a good synergy with my Sony WM1A.

I really appreciate any advice or opinion. I know I'll get some and I thank you in advance.

since you want a mid-forward sound , be on the lookout for a used Zeus XR , if you can find one for around 1500$ just grab it

btw , kudos for digging TD/Klaus Schulze , both amazing artists true giants/pioneer of the electronic sound/genre

Jul 12, 2018 at 3:18 PM Post #11,107 of 39,414
Hello Guys!

So, what is my dilemma?

I have the Encore and I really enjoy listening to Jazz with that iem (in particular Bill Evans), Otherwise I would suggest the SE5U, makes vocal shines :ksc75smile:

Jul 12, 2018 at 3:33 PM Post #11,111 of 39,414
Jul 12, 2018 at 3:45 PM Post #11,113 of 39,414
PinkyPowers, can you share a big minus of the Kaiser Encore? Did you ever try it with a Sony Walkman (WM1)?

Thanks!

A big minus? Not at all. Encore is an amazing IEM. It has some weaknesses, but these can be remedied with the proper cable. Since you are on a budget, I would shoot for the Effect Audio Ares II Plus, or the PWaudio no5.

Jul 12, 2018 at 3:48 PM Post #11,114 of 39,414
A big minus? Not at all. Encore is an amazing IEM. It has some weaknesses, but these can be remedied with the proper cable. Since you are on a budget, I would shoot for the Effect Audio Ares II Plus, or the PWaudio no5.

Dear PinkyPowers, thank you! I sent you a PM, if you care to look.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back