flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Feb 15, 2019 at 4:37 AM Post #14,506 of 39,414
I don't think I can buy into the JH 4-pin ecosystem (Layla). It's just too much PITA.

I bumped into a few posts. The first was on the FitEar thread.

It comments on the comfort level of the "Just Ears" as 10/10.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-fitear-ciem-impressions-thread.607362/page-346#post-14780278

Comfort and fit are dealbreakers for I so this has drawn my interests. Next, I bumped into your Sony Just Ear impressions.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/son...d-of-custom-iems.739725/page-21#post-14675526

Great contributions BTW since FitEar and Sony Just Ears products/impressions are not widely available in the West.

If plusSound can produce an quality ergonomic CIEM2MMCX adapter w/ proper solder, this may work out. Maybe I can get SONY to make a 2-pin model since you can custom pin exits, so they maybe open to replacing MMCX with 2-pin.

Do you consider the XJE-MH/WM1 sig inline with what the UERR was supposed to be?

I may check it out this summer. sig fits my preferences.

Any link to the Sony JE on THL?

I haven't heard the UERR in years, so I can't really say. Though, the UERR is a lot brighter and more brittle from what I can remember. The MH/WM1 is on the darker side of neutral ala Layla. We haven't reviewed the Sony JE line. I don't think they're open to reviews, and none of us can stay in Japan long enough to go through the whole ordeal of ordering, taking impressions, potentially custom tuning, and test-fitting. I once visited in May and I was told to return in August and then in November, so... yeah.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2019 at 5:02 AM Post #14,507 of 39,414
I bought the WA8 because I was shopping for something just like what you have described. It’s a shame though, because it would have been THE device I was looking for, had it got the midrange dynamics and soundstage right. Also I only tried it as a DAC/Amp. Meaning I didn’t try feeding it via my Hugo 2. So I have no clue how the amp stage alone sounds. After my WA8 experience, I became hesitant to buy blind based on head-fi hype. Here are some forgiving sounding amps I had shortlisted during my research:

- Alo CDM
- Alo Continental V5
- Phatlab Sassy 2
- Phatlab Phantasy (I hear this one has microphonic issues)
- Vorzuge Vorzamp Duo 2 and Pure 2

My friend bought a Mass Kobo 424 and loves it. But he says it’s more “neutral sounding”, which might mean it may not be forgiving.

I tried the CDM and it sounds great, but don't know about the pairing with WM1Z. Also, it sounds great, but not THAT great, maybe because of the DAC. So as an amp could be better...but then I would go for the V5, which is apparently very good (but expensive). The phatlab visibly have these microphonic issues like crazy. Vorzuge, I wonder if it is not hype, but I am interested as well. Kobo...too big and expensive, I am only using IEMS, so I don't need big amps.

Feb 15, 2019 at 5:23 AM Post #14,509 of 39,414
I haven't heard the UERR in years, so I can't really say. Though, the UERR is a lot brighter and more brittle from what I can remember. The MH/WM1 is on the darker side of neutral ala Layla. We haven't reviewed the Sony JE line. I don't think they're open to reviews, and none of us can stay in Japan long enough to go through the whole ordeal of ordering, taking impressions, potentially custom tuning, and test-fitting. I once visited in May and I was told to return in August and then in November, so... yeah.

Thanks! I think I'll just re-focus my efforts on the Layla. Especially if e4ua will let me send them solder to use or if they purchase a specific solder for the 4-pin adapter w/ bass knob.

Feb 15, 2019 at 5:33 AM Post #14,510 of 39,414
What iems have the fastest transients? Icunderstand that having too little decay will compromise tone, but I'm curious to demo something that sounds really fast, I imagine it'd be full BA or have electrostatic tech

edit: I just realized, my Jupiters seem to have pretty fast transients, a lot of people voices sound really robotic and click a lot and I don't really like it

edit 2: what's an iem with really fast attack then?

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2019 at 5:48 AM Post #14,511 of 39,414
come to Taiwan, a number of shops seem to have them, just for impressions sake I guess, I'd their not open to reviews

I'm aware My IEM Store carries Just Ear, but as you said, they probably won't be interested in a review either. I've already auditioned the full line-up in Japan, as well as force-fit a friend's custom. He had the Club version and didn't alter the tuning from the demo. I found it pretty enjoyable, but the force-fit pretty much left it bass-less, so I can't say much from it was fun and musical. The WM1 is the one I found really noteworthy, and the good seal helped of course. :D

What iems have the fastest transients? Icunderstand that having too little decay will compromise tone, but I'm curious to demo something that sounds really fast, I imagine it'd be full BA or have electrostatic tech

edit: I just realized, my Jupiters seem to have pretty fast transients, a lot of people voices sound really robotic and click a lot and I don't really like it

Jomo Audio's Samba used to be one of the fastest sounding IEMs I'd heard. Now, I'd probably give the title to the 64Audio A18t/Tia Fourté, Noble Kaiser Encore and Jomo Audio Trinity SS. Transient response doesn't have to translate to tone. For me, the feeling of speed comes from swift attack and decay that's short enough for you to be able to "see" the black background between the notes. The swifter you cut the decay, the more it compromises tone and resolution, but there are a fair few who find a healthy balance.

Feb 15, 2019 at 12:38 PM Post #14,513 of 39,414
If you are replacing the 846, the R1 Zenith from IMR Acoustics might be worth checking out. They are an improvement on the original R1, and a very enjoyable/impressive contender in the midfi bracket.
Looks similar to Acoustune. Will use them daily so expecting robust build

Feb 15, 2019 at 1:18 PM Post #14,515 of 39,414
Rhapsodio makes them, but you need to love the cable and your IEMs as they're $100 for a pair. They're beautiful, though. I got a pair because all my good cables are 2-pin and I wanted to cable roll on my Vegas.
https://www.rhapsodiostore.com/products/2pinmmcx-mmcx-2-pin-far-infrared-adaptor
-Collin-

I ordered them assuming this was a combo package both ways, but received only MMCX > 2 pin... given that you have both on the picture and no alternate option to order 2 pin to MMCX... the URL is confusing as well... is this normal?

I am stunned... and missing out on the adapter I really wanted (to try the PW 1960 on the Solaris and JVC FW10000...).

Sigh....

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2019 at 1:28 PM Post #14,516 of 39,414
I ordered them assuming this was a combo package both ways, but received only MMCX > 2 pin... given that you have both on the picture and no alternate option to order 2 pin to MMCX... the URL is confusing as well... is this normal?

I am stunned... and missing out on the adapter I really wanted (to try the PW 1960 on the Solaris and JVC FW10000...).

Sigh....

Sorry for any confusion, but I cannot really speak to the Rhapsodio website; was just posting the link to where I ordered the MMCX male to 2-pin female and they are not my photos. I guess maybe it's required to specify which you are trying to get, but I will certainly agree that the photo is misleading given that it shows both options. I would just ping Sammy (Facebook Messenger is easiest) and tell him you were expecting what was shown in the photo, or at least opposite of what you got. I assume he will send you exactly what is needed although the delay would annoy me as well.

-Collin-

Feb 15, 2019 at 1:30 PM Post #14,517 of 39,414

Sigh....

I had this issue too when I ordered the adaptor from Rhapsodio and had to specify which option I wanted after I ordered. I guess chatting with Sammy helped because he also personally messaged me to confirm my selection on FB before sending my order to me.

Feb 15, 2019 at 1:43 PM Post #14,518 of 39,414
Looks similar to Acoustune. Will use them daily so expecting robust build

It's a solid metal build, so should be pretty robust. Sounds like they would fit your requirement in terms of detail and midrange too - they are an upgrade on the original R1 in terms of both build and sound, so definitely an IEM that deserves a look.

Feb 15, 2019 at 4:39 PM Post #14,520 of 39,414
How did we progress from TOTL IEMs to Desktop grade DACs? Imma just gonna get the Fiio K3

Users who are viewing this thread

Back