flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Feb 14, 2019 at 1:27 AM Post #14,491 of 39,414
Thanks!
The quizzes do involve dips as well. I'm currently practicing on a pair of old CA Jupiters and I can barely distinguish peaks in the lower frequencies, but I do understand why practicing on one pair of iems will confine my hearing abilities. Would a solution be to either get a pair of "neutral" iems or just switch around between a number of iems?
I'm still learning to audiolize (visualize (?) sound) iem measurements and I'm hoping this is a good stepping stone for that.

I'd probably recommend switching around. That way, you can identify peaks in IEMs that sound like the Jupiter, or dips in ones that sound like the A12t, etc.

Feb 14, 2019 at 3:50 AM Post #14,494 of 39,414
Any good sub $500 universal IEMs to recommend? Thought of replacing my SE846...

If you are replacing the 846, the R1 Zenith from IMR Acoustics might be worth checking out. They are an improvement on the original R1, and a very enjoyable/impressive contender in the midfi bracket.

Feb 14, 2019 at 9:41 PM Post #14,496 of 39,414
I'm just sitting here watching pithy dig that audiophile hole of his deeper and deeper. It'll do, Phantom in 10 days!

Feb 15, 2019 at 12:00 AM Post #14,500 of 39,414
I'm just sitting here watching pithy dig that audiophile hole of his deeper and deeper. It'll do, Phantom in 10 days!
grave-digging.jpg

Feb 15, 2019 at 12:03 AM Post #14,501 of 39,414
Does anybody here have an opinion on the Woo Wa8?
Opinion of the owner of one store I've been to that has it on display: No one buys it. It's big and heavy and you might as well get a desktop rig.

He didn't even have it charged so I couldn't listen to it. He also says you can't charge and listen at the same time because of interference or some crap like that.

Feb 15, 2019 at 12:43 AM Post #14,502 of 39,414
On the other hand, I would've gotten them correct had I been listening with the Phantom, Layla, etc.

I don't think I can buy into the JH 4-pin ecosystem (Layla). It's just too much PITA.

I bumped into a few posts. The first was on the FitEar thread.

It comments on the comfort level of the "Just Ears" as 10/10.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-fitear-ciem-impressions-thread.607362/page-346#post-14780278

Comfort and fit are dealbreakers for I so this has drawn my interests. Next, I bumped into your Sony Just Ear impressions.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/son...d-of-custom-iems.739725/page-21#post-14675526

Great contributions BTW since FitEar and Sony Just Ears products/impressions are not widely available in the West.

If plusSound can produce an quality ergonomic CIEM2MMCX adapter w/ proper solder, this may work out. Maybe I can get SONY to make a 2-pin model since you can custom pin exits, so they maybe open to replacing MMCX with 2-pin.

Do you consider the XJE-MH/WM1 sig inline with what the UERR was supposed to be?

I may check it out this summer. sig fits my preferences.

Any link to the Sony JE on THL?

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2019 at 2:42 AM Post #14,503 of 39,414
I posted my impressions in this thread a few months back.
I realized I had read, liked that post...and discounted the WA8 because of it...man my Alzheimers is getting bad.

Anyways, I am looking at good amps to beef up (or replace if they have a DAC) my WM1Z, which I use only at the office, as my main rig. I need something transportable, and not too harsh or bright because it is to drive the SE6, which is quite revealing, and I don't want to build an ear-rape rig.

I was thinking :
  1. BA300s from Oriolus, designed for the WM1Z
  2. Upcoming 4.4 in and out upcoming HUM amp, which is supposedly excellent
  3. WA11, which is sexy, and could either amp the WM1Z or be standalone. However it is super expensive and seems to be unobtainable at this stage

Any thoughts?

Feb 15, 2019 at 3:43 AM Post #14,504 of 39,414
I realized I had read, liked that post...and discounted the WA8 because of it...man my Alzheimers is getting bad.

Anyways, I am looking at good amps to beef up (or replace if they have a DAC) my WM1Z, which I use only at the office, as my main rig. I need something transportable, and not too harsh or bright because it is to drive the SE6, which is quite revealing, and I don't want to build an ear-rape rig.

I was thinking :
  1. BA300s from Oriolus, designed for the WM1Z
  2. Upcoming 4.4 in and out upcoming HUM amp, which is supposedly excellent
  3. WA11, which is sexy, and could either amp the WM1Z or be standalone. However it is super expensive and seems to be unobtainable at this stage

Any thoughts?

I bought the WA8 because I was shopping for something just like what you have described. It’s a shame though, because it would have been THE device I was looking for, had it got the midrange dynamics and soundstage right. Also I only tried it as a DAC/Amp. Meaning I didn’t try feeding it via my Hugo 2. So I have no clue how the amp stage alone sounds. After my WA8 experience, I became hesitant to buy blind based on head-fi hype. Here are some forgiving sounding amps I had shortlisted during my research:

- Alo CDM
- Alo Continental V5
- Phatlab Sassy 2
- Phatlab Phantasy (I hear this one has microphonic issues)
- Vorzuge Vorzamp Duo 2 and Pure 2

My friend bought a Mass Kobo 424 and loves it. But he says it’s more “neutral sounding”, which might mean it may not be forgiving.

Feb 15, 2019 at 4:32 AM Post #14,505 of 39,414
I bought the WA8 because I was shopping for something just like what you have described. It’s a shame though, because it would have been THE device I was looking for, had it got the midrange dynamics and soundstage right. Also I only tried it as a DAC/Amp. Meaning I didn’t try feeding it via my Hugo 2. So I have no clue how the amp stage alone sounds. After my WA8 experience, I became hesitant to buy blind based on head-fi hype. Here are some forgiving sounding amps I had shortlisted during my research:

- Alo CDM
- Alo Continental V5
- Phatlab Sassy 2
- Phatlab Phantasy (I hear this one has microphonic issues)
- Vorzuge Vorzamp Duo 2 and Pure 2

My friend bought a Mass Kobo 424 and loves it. But he says it’s more “neutral sounding”, which might mean it may not be forgiving.
I heard that the WA8 sounds best on its own as a dacamp, but then again, I'm saying this blind

Users who are viewing this thread

Back