flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
May 4, 2017 at 1:48 PM Post #1,340 of 39,414
I have both K10 and Encore in custom build, while Encore is brighter than K10 it by no means has hot treble. To me it is very enjoyable and soft yet clean and clear. But not hot or aggressive.

I think those people didn't get a proper fit and seal with the used tips and therefore it got brighter. Just my guess...

May 4, 2017 at 2:06 PM Post #1,341 of 39,414
I have both K10 and Encore in custom build, while Encore is brighter than K10 it by no means has hot treble. To me it is very enjoyable and soft yet clean and clear. But not hot or aggressive.

I think those people didn't get a proper fit and seal with the used tips and therefore it got brighter. Just my guess...

Sorry, Linus, but I think it's all a matter of personal ear sensitivity :) For me, Katana's upper mids/treble is right at the comfort level. K10UA is getting closer to the threshold, really pushing it. Encore sounds a bit harsh at the top. I tried only with silicone tips, so perhaps with foamies it could be tamed down, but also at the expense of reduced airiness and some boost in lower end, thus I'm staying away from comply tips.

But like I said, it's a subjective opinion, very dependent on sensitivity of your ears to those 6k-7k peaks.

May 4, 2017 at 2:46 PM Post #1,342 of 39,414
Sorry, Linus, but I think it's all a matter of personal ear sensitivity :) For me, Katana's upper mids/treble is right at the comfort level. K10UA is getting closer to the threshold, really pushing it. Encore sounds a bit harsh at the top. I tried only with silicone tips, so perhaps with foamies it could be tamed down, but also at the expense of reduced airiness and some boost in lower end, thus I'm staying away from comply tips.

But like I said, it's a subjective opinion, very dependent on sensitivity of your ears to those 6k-7k peaks.

Of course it's also about how well your ears can handle treble. As said, Alex, I don't find Encore's top to be harsh. Your milage obviously varies... :wink:

May 4, 2017 at 9:22 PM Post #1,345 of 39,414

Can you compare the treble of the encore and vega ? Is the encore's treble harsher than the vega ? My Encore will come tomorrow.

May 4, 2017 at 10:16 PM Post #1,346 of 39,414
Can you compare the treble of the encore and vega ? Is the encore's treble harsher than the vega ? My Encore will come tomorrow.

Sorry, I don't have Encore/Katana with me, only K10UA. I listened to Encore and Katana at CanJam NYC, so wouldn't be able to compare it by memory with Vega.

May 4, 2017 at 10:49 PM Post #1,347 of 39,414
anxiety! Is killing me..
Btw i hear more people telling that the treble on encore is too hot for them as opposed to the old k10s.

Perhaps get the Lola on your shortlist? I'd avoid the Encore if you have sensitive ears, dislikes shrilling highs and loud surprising drum snares. I've had the Encore, the treble is lovely wide crystal clear transparent, but on some frequencies for me it peaks and is a bit too 'hot' or bright. If you still want the Encore; consider cable, source, and music pairing. It's pretty sensitive.

ps. Is #15 today?

Last edited:
May 4, 2017 at 11:48 PM Post #1,348 of 39,414
Great A18 impressions. I'm loving that CIEM.
Wait till you hear it with a Calyx M. The result is unbelievable. It has rendered my WM1A unlistenable.
  • The A18 + Calyx M = Musical BLISS >>> Never heard anything like it.

May 5, 2017 at 8:45 AM Post #1,349 of 39,414
Rank #15:

Mike from Perfect Seal has been doing some excellent work the last years, and it's unfortunate his iems haven't been getting more attention from the audiophile community. While Deca isn't perfect, it's a beautiful ciem to listen to (this review is of the original tuning btw). Mike has been my go-to guy for reshelling, and over the last year we've often talked about tuning. So it again pains me to shoot one off, but I told Mike in advance this time. Not that it softened the pain, but I think we're still on speaking terms hehe.

Last edited:
May 5, 2017 at 9:16 AM Post #1,350 of 39,414

Rank #15:

Mike from Perfect Seal has been doing some excellent work the last years, and it's unfortunate his iems haven't been getting more attention from the audiophile community. While Deca isn't perfect, it's a beautiful ciem to listen to (this review is of the original tuning btw). Mike has been my go-to guy for reshelling, and over the last year we've often talked about tuning. So it again pains me to shoot one off, but I told Mike in advance this time. Not that it softened the pain, but I think we're still on speaking terms hehe.

Nice work!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back