flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
May 6, 2017 at 6:16 PM Post #1,366 of 39,414
To get the full sonic goodness or of the better cap, one needs to consume a six pack first. Bud is a bit tizzy in the highs, Grolsh has richer mids, Guinness does deep, dark lows... :)

May 7, 2017 at 2:33 PM Post #1,368 of 39,414
May 8, 2017 at 11:40 AM Post #1,371 of 39,414
Dear Emil, please know that along with Piotr you're one of my favorite people in the industry - so announcing this hurts me as much as it does you (well, kind of..).

It's all good Nic! As a matter of fact you're one of my favorite reviewers out there!
There are fifteen others that I like more... But...16th place is still pretty decent! Isn't it? :wink:

Anyway, this shootout sounds like fun and I much respect the amount of effort that has been put into. And the attempt to establish scientific approach to rank such subjective thing as sound quality is another interesting thing to try.

At the end of the day it's maybe a little bit like beauty contest finals. The competition is close and good thing is that everybody can have their own opinion! :)

Aaand now, back to work, there are still some awesome things to design! :)

May 8, 2017 at 11:57 AM Post #1,372 of 39,414
It's all good Nic! As a matter of fact you're one of my favorite reviewers out there!
There are fifteen others that I like more... But...16th place is still pretty decent! Isn't it? :wink:

Anyway, this shootout sounds like fun and I much respect the amount of effort that has been put into. And the attempt to establish scientific approach to rank such subjective thing as sound quality is another interesting thing to try.

At the end of the day it's maybe a little bit like beauty contest finals. The competition is close and good thing is that everybody can have their own opinion! :)

Aaand now, back to work, there are still some awesome things to design! :)
Thanks Emil, you're the best :) Lol, didn't catch your joke the first time, but classic Emil!

And Aether sounds fantastic, you did an excellent job. When it comes to tone alone, it sounds better than the majority in this shootout.

Last edited:
May 8, 2017 at 12:31 PM Post #1,373 of 39,414
I know that not everybody cares as much for cables, and understandably so maybe. But I've written a review about a very special piece of equipment. Due to its price and build, the IEM-R4 cable won't be something anybody's going to buy sometime soon, but I hope it's an interesting read for anybody interested.

http://theheadphonelist.com/the-silverfi-iem-r4-cable-royalty/

R2.png

(ps. Click pic for extreme zoom apparently, pretty cool)

Last edited:
May 8, 2017 at 1:31 PM Post #1,374 of 39,414
I know that not everybody cares as much for cables, and understandably so maybe. But I've written a review about a very special piece of equipment. Due to its price and build, the IEM-R4 cable won't be something anybody's going to buy sometime soon, but I hope it's an interesting read for anybody interested.

http://theheadphonelist.com/the-silverfi-iem-r4-cable-royalty/

Nice review. What's the thinking behind more wires? I've seen 8 and now 12.

May 8, 2017 at 1:59 PM Post #1,376 of 39,414
I personally don't understand why they use such thick, sleeving materials for the IEM cable, making it so unwieldy for portable use means that it's an at-home only affair, in which case why not just get a full-size headphone system?

May 8, 2017 at 2:09 PM Post #1,377 of 39,414
Daniel recently published a very interesting review on the IEM-R2. He wrote it from a physicist's perspective, and addressed the questions of the cotton sleeving and multiple wires. I could copy what he said, but I would recommend reading it as its very well written.

https://www.head-fi.org/f/showcase/silverfi-iem-r2.22340/

As to why not get a full-sized home system; it's a valid question. Personally, I happen to have only iems and daps. Getting a home system would still require a full dac/amp and HP setup. And some people just like iems I guess :)

May 8, 2017 at 2:32 PM Post #1,378 of 39,414
whoooosh.... Good thing Nic's in the Netherlands he won't have to pay to get that burn treated at the hospital :astonished::grinning::grinning:

Last edited:
May 8, 2017 at 2:37 PM Post #1,379 of 39,414
whoooosh.... Good thing Nic's in the Netherlands he won't have to pay to get that burn treated at the hospital :astonished::grinning::grinning:
LOL, I had a feeling there might be someone out there enjoying that as well!!!

May 8, 2017 at 2:45 PM Post #1,380 of 39,414
More wires = perception improvement = charge more $$$$$?

More wires => lower impedance of the cable due to increased cross section of the combined wires, and more wires also means better efficiency of the electrical signal path since you have "more" surface for signal to travel. The electric signal travels on the surface of the wire, what's known as skin effect, thus a popularity of litz cables where you combine a bunch of thin wires twisted together to increase the 'surface'. Adding more conductors has a similar effect but you are compromising by making the cable thicker and also adding material cost.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back