flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
May 1, 2017 at 9:08 AM Post #1,321 of 39,414
Maybe not the appropriate thread for that, and this is not asking who wins, but I notice people here on this thread have taste for the best.
And am looking to get the best (for me) portable experience possible.
I am not interested in buying again and again, I do not have a constant need to upgrade or find the new best thing (I am perfectly happy with my exasound DAC, KGST amp and Stax SR 009 although i know there are better amps and DACs out there), but what I am looking for is, at the time of acquisition, to get the best for me.
Right now I am contemplating the 1Z with the Dita Dream, both the player and the earphones are WOW inducing for me (but never listened to them together).
I listen mostly to opera and symphonies, but also a good share of oldish metal/hard rock.
I'd tried the 64 audio TOTL the past week end, and the Fourte, although impressive, is not for me; too warm. The U18, when I listened to it, sounded like perfect, but as I tried the Dita Dream 30 minutes later, I seemed more moved by the music. I listened to all three out of either my dear old ZX2, or my even older PHA-2.
So if anyone a suggestion (DAP, earphones, stack, .., anything), please let me know.
Cheers

Last edited:
May 1, 2017 at 10:10 AM Post #1,323 of 39,414
Don't know about others of course, but I was really surprised by this.

Somehow I expected the #1 to end up with an average score somewhere in the 93-97 range. Never expected them to be all that close in (average) score in the end. Interesting! :thinking:
Well, you can think of it like this: I see a score of 80-84 as 'good enough', 85-89 as 'impressive', and 90+ as uniquely good, or impressive even compared to TOTL standards. For an iem to score an average of 89, it means it scores consistently impressive over the individual signature scores as well as all the technical scores. That's quite difficult.

An iem's sound is for the largest portion determined by its frequency response. Which just means that it all comes down to where in the curve you place the peaks and dips (although extension and linearity will contribute to performance). My score for 'midrange' is closely tied to the vocal presentation, and refers to the density, body, forwardness, size, and tone of the midrange. An expensive iem doesn't necessarily have to have a very full-bodied, 3D vocal presentation; its strengths may lie elsewhere. So the difference of a midrange of a 'super' TOTL iem is not going to be shockingly huge than that of a 'buget' TOTL. This is also true for technical scores as resolution and imaging. While more expensive iems generally perform better, the difference isn't always very large.

This is hi-fi, and we choose to pay large amounts for small increases in performance. For some people that is worth it, and for others it might not be. Of course, this concept isn't new to anybody here. But that too is reflected in the score chart I think. Is a difference of 85 vs 89 large or small? Depends on the listener ;]

May 1, 2017 at 10:12 AM Post #1,324 of 39,414
Maybe not the appropriate thread for that, and this is not asking who wins, but I notice people here on this thread have taste for the best.
I am not interested in buying again and again, I do not have a constant need to upgrade or find the new best thing (I am perfectly happy with my exasound DAC, KGST amp and Stax SR 009 although i know there are better amps and DACs out there), but what I am looking for is, at the time of acquisition, to get the best for me.
Right now I am contemplating the 1Z with the Dita Dream, both the player and the earphones are WOW inducing for me (but never listened to them together).
I listen mostly to opera and symphonies, but also a good share of oldish metal/hard rock.
I'd tried the 64 audio TOTL the past week end, and the Fourte, although impressive, is not for me; too warm. The U18, when I listened to it, sounded like perfect, but as I tried the Dita Dream 30 minutes later, I seemed more moved by the music. I listened to all three out of either my dear old ZX2, or my even older PHA-2.
So if anyone a suggestion (DAP, earphones, stack, .., anything), please let me know.
Cheers
What did you like about Dream? A nice alternative especially for classical (that also does other genres like rock well) is the Maestro V2. It also has that nice 3D stage, with a clearer sound and more accurate tone. You won't get that gorgeous bass though.

May 1, 2017 at 12:32 PM Post #1,325 of 39,414
So Nic, assuming that your top pick is not necessarily your "go to" iem, will you tell us your favorite iem, or top 3? You are scoring your iems from an objective criteria, but it may be that subjectively you prefer x,y, and z.

May 1, 2017 at 1:29 PM Post #1,326 of 39,414
So Nic, assuming that your top pick is not necessarily your "go to" iem, will you tell us your favorite iem, or top 3? You are scoring your iems from an objective criteria, but it may be that subjectively you prefer x,y, and z.
No problem Bob, once the shootout is done ;]

May 1, 2017 at 1:33 PM Post #1,327 of 39,414
nic when is no15 coming up ?

May 1, 2017 at 5:56 PM Post #1,328 of 39,414
What did you like about Dream? A nice alternative especially for classical (that also does other genres like rock well) is the Maestro V2. It also has that nice 3D stage, with a clearer sound and more accurate tone. You won't get that gorgeous bass though.

That is the thing, with the equipment I like most, I just get absorbed by the music; and/or I lack the vocabulary to describe precisely what i like.
One thing clearly is the the soundstage and separation: the Dream surrounds me with music and everything is so dynamic, i can just imagine the orchestra playing in a dark hall, with a spotlight on each player as they play, isolating them from the others.

On a separate note; you reviewed the 1960 cables in both 4 and 8 conductors versions; how did you procure the 8 conductor version as everywhere i check they seem to do it only for headphones, not earphones.

May 2, 2017 at 7:15 AM Post #1,329 of 39,414
nic when is no15 coming up ?
Should be same time, same place on a regular basis (end of the week).

That is the thing, with the equipment I like most, I just get absorbed by the music; and/or I lack the vocabulary to describe precisely what i like.
One thing clearly is the the soundstage and separation: the Dream surrounds me with music and everything is so dynamic, i can just imagine the orchestra playing in a dark hall, with a spotlight on each player as they play, isolating them from the others.

On a separate note; you reviewed the 1960 cables in both 4 and 8 conductors versions; how did you procure the 8 conductor version as everywhere i check they seem to do it only for headphones, not earphones.
Well, like I said the Maestro V2 is a nice alternative. It's less dark and more accurate for classical, with a very similar stage in overall dimensions and separation. The Dream's dark atmosphere is a bit unique, as is its bass.

You can order the 4-wire from PW Audio's international distributor Music Sanctuary (link). In the menu you can choose which version you want. Just keep in mind that the 2-wire is actually 4 conductors, and the 4-wire is 8 conductors because of its coaxial design. You can also send an email to them if you have further questions, they are knowledgeable and responsive. If you're referring to the 8-wire version, that is only specific to headphones. But that's 16 wires.. the 4-wire version is already pretty heavy for an iem.

Last edited:
May 2, 2017 at 7:30 AM Post #1,330 of 39,414
I am not interested in buying again and again, I do not have a constant need to upgrade or find the new best thing (I am perfectly happy with my exasound DAC, KGST amp and Stax SR 009 although i know there are better amps and DACs out there), but what I am looking for is, at the time of acquisition, to get the best for me...

I think Campfire Andromeda (or even Jupiter) would be great option for you.

Last edited:
May 2, 2017 at 10:29 AM Post #1,331 of 39,414
Thanks for the recommendation.
I could not find the Meastro today, so will have to be for another time. I however tried the Mason 2 and was pleased with it, maybe more so than the Katana (which is the standard I compare other TOTL IEM to, as in: if nothing better, I will get the Katana)

May 2, 2017 at 12:49 PM Post #1,333 of 39,414
From what I understand, Mason V2 is the same as Maestro V2.

I could be mistaken, but I thought Mason was a Japanese version of Maestro? And it has a slightly different tuning geared toward more analytical sound (brighter highs?) to suite the demand of that market. But don't quote me on that :)

May 2, 2017 at 4:09 PM Post #1,335 of 39,414
Thanks, so that means I do agree with your recommendation, the Maestro 2 has the kind of tuning I am looking for.
I will have to give it a more serious listen and compare it with the Dream one that one gets available.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back